Author Topic: N-Scale magazine's Walt Huston in need of your prayers  (Read 4390 times)

Loren Perry

• Crew
  • Respect: +79
Re: N-Scale magazine's Walt Huston in need of your prayers
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2020, 08:26:58 PM »
+3
Here's the latest on Walt Huston's situation from Pete Sanchez -

All,

Walt continues to make slow, steady progress in his recovery.  He has increased feelings in his legs and feet, but no movement.  He was measured for a custom wheel chair that will have an optional lift so he can work on his layout.  I forgot to mention, part of the work to be done on his house is to make the bathroom wheel chair accessible, including a roll in shower.  There will also be a heated floor for Nancy, nice touch. Tentative discharge is now set for February 4th.  I didn't ask, but I presume that is to go home, not another rehab facility...…. 

Pete

Pamela Clapp

• Crew
  • Respect: +140
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2020, 04:24:10 PM »
+3
Walt will be coming home the first week of February. He is also hoping to join us all at the United Northwest Model Railroad Club's Annual Show in Monroe, WA at the Evergreen State Fairgrounds, February 22nd and 23rd. Please help me welcome him back home and to the show by coming by and saying hello if you are coming to the Monroe, WA show. Thank you so much for your support and well wishes. He thanks each and every one of you personally.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8028
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2020, 04:46:28 PM »
+1
Excellent news!

Loren Perry

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2020, 12:33:30 PM »
Another update from Pete Sanchez:

All,

Walt looks better every time that I visit.  Progress is still very slow, but these things take time.  His surgeon told him it could take a from a year to two years for recovery.  He will be going home on Saturday Feb 8.  Once home he has exercises to do, and will be going in for PT and OT twice a week for each.  It is highly unlikely that he will be at the UNW show in Monroe, because he does not expect to have a wheel chair accessible van yet.  However, he said it is his intention to attend the national n scale convention in Nashville.  Go Walt!!
Walt has anti-fatigue mats around his layout.  These are not compatible with a wheel chair so they will be removed and will be for sale at a later date.  More information to come.

Walt says to tell you that visitors are welcome to come by.  He's in room 368 at Good Samaritan Hospital in Puyallup.

Speaking of the Monroe show, Pamela will be there and have the latest 5 year CD of N Scale magazine for sale.

Pete

DeltaBravo

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +189
    • N-Scale and other interest
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2020, 04:20:16 PM »
Good to hear, I look forward to reading his next editorial letter.
David B.

Member WMRHS

https://undara.wordpress.com/

Loren Perry

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2020, 08:19:24 PM »
N-Scale magazine's Walt Huston continues to make progress. Here's the latest via Pete Sanchez:

All,

Walt is counting down the days until he is home again.  Saturday around noon or in the early afternoon is when he heads for home.  He had surgery in November and here it is early February, that's a long time to be away from home and laid up. 

GREAT NEWS: He can move both legs!  Not a lot, but it is voluntary movement which he did not have the first time that I visited him.  The right leg is more mobile than the left.  Walt said he can lift his right foot about 7 or 8 inches, but it promptly falls back down.  All in all great progress, he's very happy about.  They keep working him with PT and OT.  There's been a lot of emphasis on building upper body strength that he needs to help with his recovery.  He's taking "driving lessons" with the wheel chair.  He brags about running a serpentine course and backing into, for lack of a better term, a slot.  The therapist couldn't believe how well he did the first time, so she narrowed the opening, and he "parked" again with room on both sides of the chair.  They plan on taking him outside to practice crossing the street, going up and down ramps and in and out of doors.

The contractor is continuing to do the remodel work on the house to make it wheel chair accessible.

More news: Nancy has arranged for renting a van with a wheel chair ramp, so the two of them will be at the Monroe show on Saturday.

Message from Walt: Visitors are welcome and encouraged.  That includes the remainder of his hospital stay and when he goes home.  He would like to have some company at home and needs some help in his layout room.

Pete

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2020, 09:48:32 PM »
Sheesh, I hope there is a Monroe show this weekend provided the town isn't flooded out.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

x600

• Crew
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2020, 01:29:58 AM »
Bryan, you had me thinking I was missing something. Monroe is Feb 22-23, still over two weeks away. :facepalm:

There's plenty of time for the swamp to drain down. Looking forward to seeing Walt and the crew.

Greg O.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2020, 12:04:58 PM »
Bryan, you had me thinking I was missing something. Monroe is Feb 22-23, still over two weeks away. :facepalm:

There's plenty of time for the swamp to drain down. Looking forward to seeing Walt and the crew.

Greg O.

Yes, of course.  My bad.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +234
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8