Author Topic: Weekend Update 12/29/19  (Read 9637 times)

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +597
Re: Weekend Update 12/29/19
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2019, 12:06:13 PM »
The wiring comments are amusing because with no knowledge of electronics or even electricity this was the one aspect of building a layout which I found particularly intimidating prior to starting, yet unexpectedly rewarding once completed (mainly because it all actually worked . . .)

Myself having once been interested in Lenz's DCC system offerings, I'd be interested to hear what attracted you to the system and what your reasoning was for choosing it over the other systems out there.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

Wutter

• Crew
  • Respect: +247
    • Wutter Vehicles and Details
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2019, 03:23:36 PM »
+12

Added a decoder and some lights to my CNW cab car; casting the led inside the beacon was definitely the most annoying part  :facepalm:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Alvin
Wutter Vehicles and Details
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/wuttervehicles

tehachapi highlight reel:

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2019, 09:14:10 PM »
+7
Made great progress on my module today.

More in the build thread.
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=48417.60

legostudios34

• Crew
  • Respect: +73
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2019, 09:42:51 PM »
+6
It's great to see so much BC Rail in here this week, so here's my contribution. The RS-18 (BCOL 611 as it appeared in the late 1980s) that I posted a couple weeks ago is nearly done - finished painting tonight, and I'll decal it tomorrow. Will likely have it done by the start of 2020.

Baxter Barnes

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2019, 10:27:53 PM »
+2
Myself having once been interested in Lenz's DCC system offerings, I'd be interested to hear what attracted you to the system and what your reasoning was for choosing it over the other systems out there.

I selected the Lenz system back in 2009 or so after trying out systems on other peoples' layouts.  I went with Lenz for the following reasons:
- made in Germany; superior build quality
- strong group of Lenz users here in Vancouver, B.C.
- outstanding service and support from the Canadian dealer
- online discussion group able to provide advice/assistance
- compatible with CVP Products wireless receiver and throttles
- ease of double-heading, consisting and de-consisting

After ten years of problem-free operation, I had no hesitation in staying with Lenz for the upgrade program.  The new equipment offers:
- higher XpressNet data transmission speed
- enhanced address capabilities and function control
- 9,999 addresses and 29 functions
- ability to read CVs during normal operation
- adjustable track voltage and maximum current
- even easier double-heading and consisting
- built-in computer interface
- built-in fast clock
- update stick and port for software upgrades
- replaceable internal battery
- backlit LCD screens with full function display
- global Railcom detector

Selecting a DCC system is a highly personal choice.  I just wasn't into Digitrax.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2019, 11:35:06 PM »
Spookshow:  "I'm going to screw it up and make it look less like junk? "

Not you, I'm sure, but it IS possible!  If the "junk" is poorly selected, or just out-of-scale, it looks less like "junk" than "modeling debris"!
N Kalanaga
Be well

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1715
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2019, 05:03:53 AM »
+8
If the "junk" is poorly selected, or just out-of-scale, it looks less like "junk" than "modeling debris"!

OK, fair enough. I guess that's why I always use proto photos as a guide - even for junk, lol.

-Mark

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +907
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2019, 08:38:31 AM »
+1
Question of the day... Why does the post office have so much junk laying around the building..
~Ian

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2019, 08:43:16 AM »
+7
I worked on the military train some more -- finishing some containers from the first set DODX Micro-Trains N 99301900 89' TOFC Flat Car with Container Loads Set #1, Department of Defense (3-Pack)

I cleaned the resin container loads with alcohol, then painted with the appropriate color of krylon cammo paint.  After they dried, I sprayed a Testors rattle can gloss coat -- then applied the decals using MicroSet/MicroSol solvents ..  The decals that MT includes are very high quality, but I still managed to screw one or two up .. after the containers dried, I oversprayed a coat of flat to protect.   Overall, I'm fairly happy with this project, and will fill in the train with some length.

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2019, 09:25:43 AM »
Question of the day... Why does the post office have so much junk laying around the building..

Undelivered mail?   :trollface:

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2019, 09:58:49 AM »
+1
I worked on the military train some more -- ...

Relevant railfanning experience from ~30 years ago when we lived in Atlanta. We were out running errands when we heard chatter on the scanner about "military train". Very odd, as there was considerably more on-air chatter about a specific train than we were accustomed to. Nothing else odd, just a lot of comm and mention of "military train" in nearly every transmission. Obviously our curiosity was piqued, so given we were in the vicinity, we park lineside. Train passes - baretables, probably 50 or so, none DODX... ooooookaaaaaaay.

:?  :?  :?

On hearing the defect detector about five miles behind this train, we hang around since we were already there. Bingo. About 80 DODX boxcars, all with orange "EXPLOSIVES" placards. Ah, that was our military train, munitions headed to Anniston Depot. The first train drawing all the chatter was a decoy.

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1419
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2019, 10:49:11 AM »
+5
No modeling for me this week, as we are in PA visiting family. I started a few free-moN modules last week before we left. I 3D printed leg pockets, and threaded inserts for carriage bolts that slip into the conduit I'm using for legs. I'm anxious to get back to work on these, one will definitely be the WM's bridge over MD 550 in Sablesville MD.

I took advantage of some downtime Friday to visit Mainline Hobby Supply, measure the old WM bridge at Sablesville MD, and chase the Maryland Midland. Got to see them take 48 loads from Thurmont to Highfield. Met a few N scalers while chasing, not sure if the are on TRW or not, but it was nice talking shop with them. This was my first experience with an exclusive lash up of older EMDs down on their knees in notch 8, I think I've found my new vice! If you have really good speakers or nice over-the-ear headphones, check this out!

« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 11:09:11 AM by PiperguyUMD »

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2019, 11:37:29 AM »
+1

bnsfdash8

• Crew
  • Respect: +1306
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2019, 01:17:46 PM »
+6
Highball Graphics released the correct decals for Norfolk Southern's CS28 coil cars so that motivated me to get back to work on mine:

Prototype:

Reese
Modeling Norfolk Southern one loco at a time.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2019, 01:25:57 PM »
Highball Graphics released the correct decals for Norfolk Southern's CS28 coil cars so that motivated me to get back to work on mine:

(Attachment Link)

Prototype:

Are these 3D printed?