Author Topic: Weekend Update 1/12/20  (Read 8381 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8045
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Weekend Update 1/12/20
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2020, 04:09:44 PM »
+1
Yes....like that! :D Hadn't considered doing a radiator section on both ends, though (figuring out what to use or how to do the cabless section has been somewhat of a stumbling block).

An open cockpit.

NtheBasement

• Crew
  • Respect: +287
    • Moving coal in N scale
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2020, 06:57:19 PM »
+1
Something like this   ;)

Jane

Wow, a reverse pushmi-pullyu in steel!
Moving coal the old way: https://youtu.be/RWJVt4r_pgc
Moving coal the new way: https://youtu.be/sN25ncLMI8k

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2020, 07:28:40 PM »
An open cockpit.

Probably closer to plausible - big front porch a la SD40-2 - than two radiator sections. Put a patio table and umbrella out there and call it done. :D  (SoCal railfan legend has it that SP crews at least once "operated" a barbecue grill in the center gap of a DD35. I wouldn't doubt it, the West Colton to Taylor Yard drags these ran on were all-day slogs, typically 8-10 hours for 60 miles.)

Certainly the radiator section is an easy space-filler model-wise, but the B30-7A/cabless is going to be your starting point. Technical problem to address is the vestigial cab on B-units, a niche or closet with an abbreviated control stand for hostler operation. And then there's the issue of radiator piping running that far down the frame, an invitation for failure.

Fun bit of fantasy, but a B-unit fan's [...sigh...].  :|

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +909
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2020, 08:03:48 PM »
+1
Thanks to Trainworx, I was finally able to put the cherry on top of this scene -

I thought that the humps on the front of these trailers made them reefers, so that's what I went with. However, I've since been told that said humps are just there to make the trailers more aerodynamic. Oh well, learn something new every day....

-Mark

Nonono.. this is all wrong... that 3rd Trailer is supposed to have 3 vertical silver stripes...    :trollface:

Amazing as usual.. :)

~Ian

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +909
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2020, 08:41:40 PM »
+1
I spent the weekend organizing the vintage collection for better storage and quicker finding when looking.

I did 50' boxcars.. here is 40' boxcars.. Next is Wood boxcars and reefers.. anything stacked more than 1 high is duplicate and will be sold eventually..
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

And for everyone who said I should store my cars in the yard.....

I dont have a yard... (yet)
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

~Ian

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2020, 09:03:52 PM »
+1
Probably closer to plausible - big front porch a la SD40-2 - than two radiator sections. Put a patio table and umbrella out there and call it done. :D  (SoCal railfan legend has it that SP crews at least once "operated" a barbecue grill in the center gap of a DD35. I wouldn't doubt it, the West Colton to Taylor Yard drags these ran on were all-day slogs, typically 8-10 hours for 60 miles.)

Certainly the radiator section is an easy space-filler model-wise, but the B30-7A/cabless is going to be your starting point. Technical problem to address is the vestigial cab on B-units, a niche or closet with an abbreviated control stand for hostler operation. And then there's the issue of radiator piping running that far down the frame, an invitation for failure.

I suppose it would be within some reason to think the shops used the carbody only from the radiator section, if that's all they had on-hand at the time. This is what I think is fun about a custom foob. You get to suspend some prototype correctness and just go with something a little different. The prototype stickler's/rivet counter's version of letting your hair down, I guess. ;)

JanesCustomTrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2020, 09:16:50 PM »
Probably closer to plausible - big front porch a la SD40-2 - than two radiator sections.
Certainly the radiator section is an easy space-filler model-wise, but the B30-7A/cabless is going to be your starting point.

It looks so much better with two radiators in between two AC44s, one pulling and one pushing, a proper A-B-A unit   ;)

Jane
I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors
But I think that God's got a sick sense of humor
And when I die I expect to find Him laughing...

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1330
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2020, 02:33:32 AM »
tehachapifan:  That was my thought:  A pair of wreck-damaged units, one needing a new front, the other basically scrap except for the rear.  Put the rear, without the insides, in place of the wrecked cab, and put it back in service.
N Kalanaga
Be well

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1720
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2020, 05:12:54 AM »
Nonono.. this is all wrong... that 3rd Trailer is supposed to have 3 vertical silver stripes...    :trollface:

Amazing as usual.. :)

Thanks, Ian. And I'll get right on that  :lol:

-Mark

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2020, 09:26:22 AM »
+1
In commemoration of the celebration of T-TRAK's 20th Anniversary and the Gateway 2020 National T-TRAK Layout in St Louis this coming July, Jacksonville Terminal Company is producing this limited 3-container set!
The set will consist of a 20' container honoring NTRAK, and 20' container honoring T-TRAK and the 20 year anniversary, and a 53' container tying them in to the Gateway 2020 National Train Show.
This set will also benefit the NTRAK organization as all who pre-order will also receive a one year NTRAK membership with a one year subscription to the NTRAK newsletter.
pre-orders are already available at the NTRAK online company store. $44.95 for non-members
NTRAK members receive a $5.00 discount - $39.95

"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

S Class

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2020, 07:49:13 AM »
Yes....like that! :D Hadn't considered doing a radiator section on both ends, though (figuring out what to use or how to do the cabless section has been somewhat of a stumbling bock).

Consider the PN XRB. The cablesss section (opposite the sound covers) is IIRC extra space for the Dynamic brake equipment
https://vicsig.net/index.php?page=locomotives&class=XRB&orgstate=V&type=Diesel-Electric
Regards
Tony A