Author Topic: Emojis  (Read 1010 times)

conrad

• Crew
Emojis
« on: November 22, 2019, 05:38:02 PM »
Another inane question:

How come when I select an emoji I only get the plain text "ASCII" values, i.e.  :(

Conrad

conrad

• Crew
Re: Emojis
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 05:40:35 PM »
Well, the above looks dumb.  To clarify, I beleive that I get the plain text when I reply to a msg.

Conrad

conrad

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 05:43:20 PM »
Sorry,

See my reply to 21st Century Layout Control

Conrad

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 07:54:48 PM »
Conrad, your first post in this thread shows a graphic sad-face emoji. So you are able to post them correctly.
I looked at the other post you mentioned and I do see "better:D"  The problem is that there is no space after the word "better" and the grinning emoji  The:D is directly following the word (just like I did in this sentence).  The emoji needs a space before it to display graphically.  Or a punctuation mark (like a period). If done properly, it will show up as  :D.

Maybe other characters are allowed to "touch" the emoji text code - I have not tested them all.

All the above applies to text-mode message editor (which is default).  If you are editing in a WYSIWYG mode, graphical emojis will show as you type. But this mode has another set of issues (I use text only).  If you want to check what your post will look like, use the "Preview" button (next to the "Save" button) and scroll up to see your message in a formatted state.  I do that (but need to do it more often, as I still miss some misteaks).   You can preview multiple times while you are composing your post.

You can toggle between text only and WYSIWYG mode using button.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 08:04:06 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

conrad

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 05:15:35 PM »
Thank you Peteski.   Now I can have fun with emojis (first have to learn to spell it).

Conrad   :)

Ps I like the preview function.