Author Topic: Weekend Update 12/15/19  (Read 13203 times)

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +1279
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
Re: Weekend Update 12/15/19
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2019, 03:36:01 PM »
+12
Still plugging away on a bunch of parallel projects...

Shingling the roof sections of the Cascade Station.  I need to put in the lighting next then I can glue the roofs down and install the flashing and trim...

Finished the Bunker C tank (well, technically not quite as I still need to glue all the "bits" on).  When I complete the roundhouse/car shop I will definitely need to add more light to this end of the yard!

And two "rafters" of @Mark W's turkeys showed up so these needed to be placed on the layout immediately!

Have a great weekend!

md
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 03:40:34 PM by mark dance »
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1715
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2019, 04:06:26 PM »
Wow, thanks Jim, Ian and Rodney. Much appreciated!

Cheers,
-Mark

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2019, 05:02:13 PM »
Putting together some HMVWWs ... I hate those mirrors ...  :RUEffinKiddingMe:

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +907
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2019, 06:09:16 PM »
Wow, thanks Jim, Ian and Rodney. Much appreciated!

Cheers,
-Mark

Well.. knowing that I have the layout space to build to a similar level of true to life scale..  Your work on Hope, MN is inspirational in getting me off my a$$ to start building. 

My theme and modeling style will likely be different (vintage).. but the near 1:1 execution in modeling would be very similar.

~Ian
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 06:19:07 PM by learmoia »
~Ian

DeltaBravo

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +189
    • N-Scale and other interest
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2019, 09:16:27 PM »
+18
Built my first handlaid turnout

David B.

Member WMRHS

https://undara.wordpress.com/

mighalpern

• Crew
  • Respect: +142
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2019, 10:39:57 PM »
+1
very nice turnout David.
I would offer you one piece of advise, and that would be to solder at least another PC tie ( with the gaps of course, all 3 !!) on the diverging rails so that the frog point rails have a little more support under them  when you go cut the gaps on the diverging rails.  If you follow the fastrax system you cut the gap in between the last two ties and that leaves only one point of solder to hold the diverging rail.  then when you go to put a joiner on, it comes off and then its a pain in the a$$ to solder nice and lined up like it used to be.  I I have made many turnout now, very enjoyable to to, but that last bit has burned me way to many times that I just add 2 more ties and make a nice solid diverging section

DeltaBravo

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +189
    • N-Scale and other interest
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2019, 11:21:01 PM »
very nice turnout David.
I would offer you one piece of advise, and that would be to solder at least another PC tie ( with the gaps of course, all 3 !!) on the diverging rails so that the frog point rails have a little more support under them  when you go cut the gaps on the diverging rails.  If you follow the fastrax system you cut the gap in between the last two ties and that leaves only one point of solder to hold the diverging rail.  then when you go to put a joiner on, it comes off and then its a pain in the a$$ to solder nice and lined up like it used to be.  I I have made many turnout now, very enjoyable to to, but that last bit has burned me way to many times that I just add 2 more ties and make a nice solid diverging section

Thanks for the info, I will do that for the next one. This one has a few issues and I see it as a test model for the next build. It will be a shelf queen.  :lol:
David B.

Member WMRHS

https://undara.wordpress.com/

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +256
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2019, 11:43:40 PM »
very nice turnout David.

I agree! I add a bunch more ties to my turnouts after they come out of the Fastracks jig. Specifically, I add two more above and two more below the existing paired ties (makes two groups of four ties) and cut the gaps with two ties on each side of the gap. I also add at least one more tie under the frog, another a couple of ties further out on the diverging routes and another couple of ties spaced along the rest of the turnout. Pushing joiners onto the turnout and connecting it to the adjoining track puts a lot of stress on turnout and I figure the extra effort (and tie material) to make a really solid unit is worthwhile.
Geoff

Caddy58

• Crew
  • Respect: +37
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2019, 02:06:34 AM »
+14
My FREMO group participated in a show in Germany a few weeks ago; but I only found time this weekend to process some of the pictures....

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2019, 02:51:04 PM »
+4

Richie Dost

Tom L

• Crew
  • Respect: +495
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2019, 05:18:46 PM »
+5
I really need to finish up a bunch of unfinished projects before I start anything new, but FVMs pre Christmas sale prompted me to take the first steps towards on of these

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Literally what’s on the workbench waiting for the first cuts

Some actual modeling

Which will be MStL F-7s 113 and 114, in the scheme shown below. Photo is in original number prior to being renumbered in 100 series in 1956ish, also then lost the nose number plate but stayed green/yellow until about 1958 or so when they went to the red and white scheme. These units also had winterization hatches, so I cobbled those together from styrene strip and etched mesh. Also had to remove lower headlight.

Tom L
Wellington CO

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +265
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2019, 05:41:57 PM »
+1

https://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMQFGY_Roundhouse_Turntable_Rockland_ME
Seen this and the MERR FL9s any times. Laid hands on them several times. It was too bad they lost the contract to continue as they actually cared to paint each loco and the passenger cars. The new renter works just as hard, but they run ex BNSF and ATSF equipment without any repainting.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2019, 06:02:11 PM »
Seen this and the MERR FL9s any times. Laid hands on them several times. It was too bad they lost the contract to continue as they actually cared to paint each loco and the passenger cars. The new renter works just as hard, but they run ex BNSF and ATSF equipment without any repainting.

do they still run the excursions from Brunswick to Rockland?

mrhedley

• Crew
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2019, 06:04:08 PM »
+1

I remember riding in these cars.  Boot camp 1975.  We had a rare liberty call before graduation when they took the entire regiment to the Pittsburgh Steelers vs. College All star game at Soldier field.  Rode in the upper level.  The game sucked but our seats had a spectacular view of the Chicago skyline.  And there was a monster thunderstorm in the fourth quarter and they ended the game early.  My memory is vague but I think the Steelers were ahead 27-0 and the College "All Stars" never crossed midfield.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2019, 06:54:19 PM »

(Attachment Link)

Which will be MStL F-7s 113 and 114, in the scheme shown below. Photo is in original number prior to being renumbered in 100 series in 1956ish, also then lost the nose number plate but stayed green/yellow until about 1958 or so when they went to the red and white scheme. These units also had winterization hatches, so I cobbled those together from styrene strip and etched mesh. Also had to remove lower headlight.

(Attachment Link)

Tom L
Wellington CO

Nice project Tom, M&St.L is my all time favorite road.  I don't have access to my books right now, but I'm not remembering a time when these would be numbered 113, 114.  I thought these units got renumbered from the 150, 250 and 350 series directly to the 400 series when painted red/white.  Do you have a picture of these as 113 or 114?

Jason
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 06:56:03 PM by wcfn100 »