Author Topic: ATSF semaphore and train order signals by ATSF N Scale Models (working/lighted)  (Read 1678 times)

Dirk Jan Blikkendaal

• Crew
  • Respect: +288
N scale size signals designed according to plans in System Standards Vol 2 and August 1985 volume of Santa Fe Modeler.
LED lighted and 2,5 RPM motor driven (1 motor for the semaphore, 2 motors for the train order).
Power supply is 3 V flat DC for LED and motor(s). Simple push button operation.

For more info go to WWW.ATSFNSCALEMODELS.COM under SIGNALS :description, operation, size, more pictures and YouTube movies)

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 03:11:07 AM by Dirk Jan Blikkendaal »
SANTA FE ALL THE WAY
1950-1960
ATSF N Scale Models

bdennis

• Crew
  • Respect: +172
    • Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division
Nice work.. They look great.
Would like to see the mechanism that drives them.
Brendan Dennis
N scale - Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division

Dirk Jan Blikkendaal

• Crew
Thanks!
Please go to the website... you will find more pics including the drive.
Regards, Dirk
SANTA FE ALL THE WAY
1950-1960
ATSF N Scale Models

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
Dirk, those are VERY COOL, nicely done! You never cease to amaze me with your ingenious offerings.
I could use one of your lower quadrant Train Order signals for Cajon station. The other one I need, for Summit, was an upper quadrant type during the era I model, see pics. Is there a way to modify the signal to an upper quadrant type?

Otto

Peter Amling

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
Those look incredible. Nicely done!

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
Lovely. I have a soft spot for these, having made a trip to Raton Pass two years ago to experience the 1:1 before they were PTC'ed out of existence (still pending, I gather).

The block signal version appears pretty close to what was on the LA&SL (UP line to Los Angeles) before it was CTC'ed in the late '40s. So rule #1 applies here: I will have to sneak a pair somewhere on the layout even though I'm supposedly modeling 20 years later.

Dirk Jan Blikkendaal

• Crew
Dirk, those are VERY COOL, nicely done! You never cease to amaze me with your ingenious offerings.
I could use one of your lower quadrant Train Order signals for Cajon station. The other one I need, for Summit, was an upper quadrant type during the era I model, see pics. Is there a way to modify the signal to an upper quadrant type?

Otto

Hi Otto,
Do you have a drawing (or better picture/reference) of the upper quadrant version? From what  I see the pivoting position is different. So that would mean a new 3D drawing/print of the mast top.
It certainly means a new etching for the new blade...... and a new clear plastic claser cutting for the lenses .......
It can be done but will take time and some money I am afraid......
Let me know what you want.......  good luck and kind regards, Dirk

SANTA FE ALL THE WAY
1950-1960
ATSF N Scale Models

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
Hi Dirk, thanks, I understand. I’ll send you a PM, with an idea :D
Otto

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
PM sent...
Otto

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2042
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
Wow.   

C855B

• Crew
Dirk built a couple of these very fine models for me without the motor drive so I could use ultra-micro servos for actuation. Tam Valley Depot has a servo driver board that can handle two three-position semaphores.

Like so:

Not a valid vimeo URL
I painted the blade to approximate what was used on the pre-CTC LA&SL, and overpainted the spectacle lenses with Tamiya transparent paints for stronger colors. I can see from the video I need to adjust the angle on yellow, and maybe knock down the LED brightness a little. Better focus wouldn't hurt. Fixed.  :facepalm:

Lovely signal. Yeah, it's Santa Fe prototype, but it is close enough to UP practice on the Los Angeles "branch" before it was CTC'ed in 1946, so I'll take it.  :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 09:38:36 PM by C855B »

Dirk Jan Blikkendaal

• Crew
Thats a nice/small drive/servo.....
Tam Valley is indeed the way to go if want to use a more sophisticated/integrated control system.
For my shop no use hauling their system across the Atlantic twice...... with the resulting mailing/customs costs.
Will gladly sell the signals without my drive.
As suggested you can lower the voltage for the LED a bit to reduce the brightness to your liking.

SANTA FE ALL THE WAY
1950-1960
ATSF N Scale Models

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
Dirk built a couple of these very fine models for me without the motor drive so I could use ultra-micro servos for actuation. Tam Valley Depot has a servo driver board that can handle two three-position semaphores.

Like so:

Not a valid vimeo URL
I painted the blade to approximate what was used on the pre-CTC LA&SL, and overpainted the spectacle lenses with Tamiya transparent paints for stronger colors. I can see from the video I need to adjust the angle on yellow, and maybe knock down the LED brightness a little. Better focus wouldn't hurt.  :facepalm:

I’m getting a “not a valid” video. Would you mind reposting?
Thanks, Otto
Lovely signal. Yeah, it's Santa Fe prototype, but it is close enough to UP practice on the Los Angeles "branch" before it was CTC'ed in 1946, so I'll take it.  :)

C855B

• Crew
Try again, Otto. Maybe refresh your page or clear cache? You might have been caught in the middle of my uploading the newer in-focus version.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
Got it, thanks, Mike.
Otto