Author Topic: Cutting Foam Straight and Square  (Read 2539 times)

JanesCustomTrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +74
Re: Cutting Foam Straight and Square
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2019, 02:01:03 PM »
Neat idea I found on uTube

/>
Jane
I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors
But I think that God's got a sick sense of humor
And when I die I expect to find Him laughing...

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1254
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2019, 03:47:59 PM »
I also use my 10" table saw, which works great.  The light weight of extruded Styrofoam makes it very easy to work with, but you have to make straight cuts because of you let it slip while cutting, the blade will definitely melt the Styrofoam a bit.

I use a fine-toothed carbide finish-cut blade for my model railroading benchwork, which is the main purpose of me having my table saw...and that blade works very well with extruded Styrofoam for extremely precise cuts.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +561
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2019, 04:07:28 PM »
Thanks for the ideas and tips. To answer a couple of questions, the resulting foam slab will be supported from below on a sturdy table.  I have not yet decided on how I will glue the pieces of foam together, but that should not be much of a problem because I just want the surface to be flat, and there will not be any stresses on the joints from any direction (except for sawing the end off, if I decide to do that after gluing instead of before.)

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2019, 05:14:21 PM »
Fine tooth blade on a jig saw guided by a straight edge.  I do the cutting outdoors, on a breezy day.  What foam dust?   :D

freedj

• Crew
  • Respect: +333
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2019, 07:45:08 PM »
Another vote for the table saw if you have one.   I’ve cut a lot of foam on mine and it works great, but does make a mess.

Mike C

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2019, 07:06:39 PM »
 Foam can be cut similar to styrene . Score it deeply with a long utility knife then snap it . Nice clean straight cut .