Author Topic: MTL Moving to Pre-Orders for Z-Scale  (Read 732 times)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +544
Re: MTL Moving to Pre-Orders for Z-Scale
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2019, 03:31:28 PM »

In case anyone missed it, Dave Vollmer checked out this weekend for a break from TRW.  He's tired of the bullshit around here.  I'm reaching the point where I am almost right behind him.

DFF

I am getting close myself

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +357
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2019, 05:38:57 PM »
While both are in model RR business, one deals with H0, while the other one is a producer of N and Z (and an occasional H0n model). Both model train, but *VERY* different markets (both in size and in tastes), requiring different sales and product planning strategies.
Atlas, for example, produces many of the same items in both HO and N scales.
In what way(s) do you see those two model train markets as being "*VERY* different" and thus "requiring different sales and product planning strategies"?

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1112
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2019, 11:20:11 PM »
Brian, is that Z cale items in those lines, or N scale too? If they only make preorders in N then some folks aren't getting there because except in very rare cases these days, MTL products don't usually sell out in a few hours online, though they often show that their runs are sold out at the factory.

The specialty lines in Z already are pre-order.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +257
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2019, 09:36:46 AM »
+2
Atlas, for example, produces many of the same items in both HO and N scales.
In what way(s) do you see those two model train markets as being "*VERY* different" and thus "requiring different sales and product planning strategies"?

You left out Z and O scale....  :facepalm:
https://shop.atlasrr.com/c-1474-z-track.aspx

And referencing a company that handles Planning, Sales, Marketing, for all 4 scales basically the same way... I have no clue what point your trying to make..

~Ian

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 09:40:13 AM by learmoia »
Don't Neglect the Jewel Case!

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +257
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2019, 02:12:44 PM »
+2
And maybe MTL has found that the Preorder model is working well... keeping production even with demand.. and Now testing the waters with pre-order on normal production items in thier smaller (regular production) market segment.. [not forgetting Nn3 and HOn3]..

I would assume if it goes well, then it N scale would follow suit in 2021..

Hopefully the free warehouse space will allow additional production capacity long term..

~Ian

Don't Neglect the Jewel Case!

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 09:06:00 PM »
+2
To Dave Foxx:  Please stop "calling people out".  You did that to me on a thread, insisting that my post was a "complaint" against a company when it was intended to pass along an amusing gaff.  And you were insistent.  And you got the thread locked by being insistent.  So, please stop "lawyering" our posts.  It is only making things worse.  Yes, I realize that I am "calling you out" here and that could get this thread locked, too.  So, I am not going to reply to anything that you post on this.  But, maybe if you do not continue the argument, we can just go back to bemoaning the pre-order system.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • "I like trains!"
  • Respect: +2023
« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 10:22:03 PM »
To Dave Foxx:  Please stop "calling people out".  You did that to me on a thread, insisting that my post was a "complaint" against a company when it was intended to pass along an amusing gaff.  And you were insistent.  And you got the thread locked by being insistent.  So, please stop "lawyering" our posts.  It is only making things worse.  Yes, I realize that I am "calling you out" here and that could get this thread locked, too.  So, I am not going to reply to anything that you post on this.  But, maybe if you do not continue the argument, we can just go back to bemoaning the pre-order system.

You again.  Don't worry, I have no interest in engaging with you.  You can even have the last word, because after almost a dozen years on TRW, I'm signing off.

DFF

General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.
Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
A Proud HOer