Author Topic: N Scale Railroading Magazine changing  (Read 2077 times)

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +287
Re: N Scale Railroading Magazine changing
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2019, 11:55:47 AM »
Staring at a computer screen for long periods of time effects my vision. When reading a printed magazine, you're looking at reflected light, when reading anything online, you're looking at direct light. Maybe it's just part of getting older, but too much time looking at a TV screen or computer screen effects my vision in a negative way.

And it's hard to hold a laptop while you are on the throne.   :trollface:

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +157
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2019, 01:15:28 PM »
I still haven't received my Nov-Dec issue. That being said, I don't feel Kirk's playing Loki. I applaud the move to digital file, MRH has been surviving quite well. But I'm not a fan of the pay more for extra content format, only because that usually turns out to be videos, which aren't necessarily downloadable - and I've paid for it. Since I digitize everything I want to keep, rather than save magazines, it will make life easier for me. I just hope article quality is maintained.

I also hope that back issues would be digitized too, though, whether available at a cost or not. Lots of good information there and I would hope it be made available to all in the future.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 01:23:32 PM by sirenwerks »
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +776
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2019, 04:03:00 PM »
+1
From day one, N Scale Railroading has been my preferred N scale magazine.  I have had numerous articles in the magazine and Kirk has always been very good and easy to work with.  This move is one of the inevitable changes that we will all adapt to and I believe that this move will ensure N Scale Railroading being there to spread the news about N scale well into the future.  The economics are not rocket science.  The magazine was originally sold in 800 hobby shops.  That number has dwindled to 150 shops - and that number may continue to drop.  So unless you subscribe or happen to have one of the 150 shops near you, you will never get to see or hold NSR.  When the magazine first came out, Kirk encouraged people to buy the magazine at their local store, rather than subscribing, to support the local shops.  That model is gone.  As a free digital magazine, it immediately opens up a potential world-wide audience that will have easy access to the magazine.  Sounds like a no brainer.  For advertisers, its how many pairs of eyes will see their ads.

At this point, I am more concerned about the future of N Scale Magazine than N Scale Railroading.  Embrace the future.  The alternative is not viable.

With that said, consider contributing articles to the new digital NSR.

mplsjct

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2019, 10:04:37 AM »
+1
If the "new" format is a PDF, it's easy enough to print them out.

I’m not here to argue

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2320
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2019, 10:10:04 AM »

See, that's the REAL "killer feature" for a smart toilet. lol.

diezmon

• Crew
  • Do they speak English in "What"?
  • Respect: +197
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2019, 10:43:52 AM »
+3

problem solved ;)

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2019, 10:54:54 AM »
+1
Well my workday just got incredibly more productive.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +932
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2019, 11:29:17 AM »
Well, I know I'm an anachronism in this regard, but since I develop software for a living, the last thing on Earth I want to do when I read model railroad articles is look at a screen.  MRH showed that, long-term, on-line ads can't sustain a magazine alone anymore.  And if I have to pay either way, I'd rather have paper.  (Yes, I know on-line may be cheaper, but please read on.)

As long as on-line magazines were free, I figured it was over for paper, eventually.  But they aren't free.

So I wonder two things:

1. How many people feel that way, from what age groups?
2. Will the costs of on-line vs paper keep adjusting to some middle ground where paper magazines can be produced cheaply enough to keep a permanent presence?   I have to admit that I hope so.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +157
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2019, 12:16:58 PM »
For me it all depends (pssst, Ed, there's another option for your productive day) on content. PIC, look at Model Railroader - most expensive hobby mag there is and it has shrunk to practically nothing, at least in paper form - and I mean nothing in terms of usable content and number of pages. As far as MR is concerned, I no longer buy it. I wait for Kalmbach to recycle its article into a book; and I buy, occasionally, Kalmbach's model railroad annuals.
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +1066
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2019, 12:39:02 PM »
With 40+ years in technologies in the printing and publishing trades, either directly or peripherally: paper is doomed. Just last week I read a piece (...online...) with a not-quite-tongue-in-cheek premise that paper books would be gone by 2050.

Given the career in the print industry, there are a million thoughts I'm having some difficulty organizing into a cogent stream, but I'll reduce that to your postulate, "produced cheaply enough to keep a permanent presence". Not going to happen. Cheap = offshore. That ship has sailed, pun intended. Offshore induces a lot of rather extreme management challenges in a process requiring large amounts of back-and-forth exchange. There were reasons clients camped-out in my employers' conference rooms during production runs - prevent the hours and days lost to transporting physical media such as copy, copy proofs, markups, bluelines, "color keys" press proofs, bindery samples... the list of trivial production points requiring QC is endless. And this was for customers just a few miles away. Even the advent of electronic transmission of some of these exchanges didn't help much. I cannot begin to count the number of heated arguments about the electronic version not matching the paper.

So multiply the communications problems, both human and technical, by the 10-12 hour time difference in business days, and then add language and cultural barriers. By the time your finished print piece is done it is long out-of-date, provided it isn't error-ridden.

And none of this addresses our own cultural shift ("...age groups?") in primary information sources - smartphones. This isn't confined to the young - peeling my 72-y-o wife away from her phone or iPad takes a crowbar sometimes, and lordy I'm thankful I've badmouthed Facebook enough to discourage her from going there. Anyway the small screen is hopeless in conveying the big picture, pun or not, as we as a result are increasingly reliant on headlines and sound bites. To understand issues in any detail is excruciating on tiny screens.

Speaking of reliance on smartphones, news item last night was online purchases over the T-day shopping weekend were 60% from smartphones. That's scary to me, frankly, for another huge number of reasons I struggle to elucidate.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2019, 02:02:08 PM »
For me it all depends (pssst, Ed, there's another option for your productive day) on content.

Ahahahaha. I see what you did there. lol

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +1066
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2019, 02:35:47 PM »
+2
A PS, sort of. My left brain tells me that print is dying. In fact, I anticipated this in 1992, and modified career path accordingly.

HOWEVER, my right brain (and the rest of me) just retrieved the January MR out of the mailbox. Sitting down with the slick hardcopy on my desk and thumbing through pages is so... well, satisfying. And relaxing. Can't say that for the screen.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +2806
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2019, 03:00:08 PM »
I bought a e-book from Morning Sun because at the time it was the only way to get it. First thing I did was copy it to 2 different discs to save in case I lost it somehow.

My NG&SLG DVD set sucks balls and freezes up every single time I use it.

I can't stand MRH. Has nothing to do with being online only, I just hate the content and stopped even looking at it about 3 years ago. I used to download-look at it- and delete it. Haven't been to their site in a long time.

Never bought anything with my phone. My phone has never had any credit card info typed into it. Never sent an e-mail from a phone. Mobile websites are a complete joke and worthless. I often see something interesting on my phone and make a note to look it up again later when I get home (to the real internet). My phone data looks like a staircase because I only use it when bored at work.

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +569
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2019, 04:19:56 PM »
When I'm not working on modeling, I'm listening to music.  I subscribe to Stereophile magazine, and for a while tried only the electronic version.  It works well on an iPad (which I highly recommend for throne-based electronic reading  :facepalm:).  But I switched back to the print version because . . . I just like having a magazine in print.

It's the same with my music.  I ripped all my CD's to digital files, and went all-computer-based for a couple of years.  But it's just not the same as taking out the physical disc and playing it, reading the liner notes, etc.  So . . . now, in a fit of nostalgia, I own 3 Nakamichi cassette decks and 3 open-reel decks.  I listen to stuff from streaming sites like Tidal, and if I really, really like it, I copy it to tape.  I find that I play a physical CD or tape 3-1 over listening to a stream.  Physical format just gives me more joy.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

But I also realize the days of physical media are numbered.  I've adjusted to reading the electronic editions of the Washington Post and Chicago Tribune - again on my iPad, which seems to work pretty well for those (except for the delays loading electronic ads).  And I'll admit that 90% of what my wife and I buy these days other than groceries comes from . . . Amazon.

Sigh . . .

John C.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 04:29:16 PM by jdcolombo »

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +544
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2019, 04:36:47 PM »
Do you need an equalizer?