Author Topic: N Scale Railroading Magazine changing  (Read 2081 times)

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +130
N Scale Railroading Magazine changing
« on: November 30, 2019, 11:59:55 PM »
It seems that the Jan/Feb issue will be the last in the current format.  It's not made exactly clear.  The new newsletter format may be available as soon as March 2020 if I read correctly.

The full text from Kirk here:  http://www.nscalerailroadn.com/Subscriber.html (Click "Subscriber Info" circle from main page_

This may or may not be readable...

« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 02:48:27 AM by GaryHinshaw »
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +1066
Re: N Scale Railroading Magazine changing
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 12:09:54 AM »
AAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaargh!!! I just subscribed for the print version only four days ago!!! Kirk didn't say a thing about this in our correspondence!

I don't know what to think... words escape at the moment... I guess it's shut up and hang on!  [...sigh...]
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 12:12:55 AM »
AAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaargh!!! I just subscribed for the print version only four days ago!!! Kirk didn't say a thing about this in our correspondence!

I don't know what to think... words escape at the moment... I guess it's shut up and hang on!  [...sigh...]

From what I gather you will bet a refund by June.  Unless you decide to take the unfulfilled issues from the back issue collection, then it may be sooner.  See the 2nd paragraph from "Times Change"
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

Englewood

• Crew
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 12:40:49 AM »
+1
I'm slowly watching everything I enjoy fade away.
Magazines, books, record stores, cash, physical copies of video games....

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +2806
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 12:46:36 AM »
+1
Meanwhile I'm  printing more than double what we were printing last year.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +289
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 12:49:31 AM »
+1
History...  What will future historians use for research, if everything is digital, and the hardware/software to read it doesn't survive?  Or the owners of the websites delete the data?
N Kalanaga
Be well

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +38
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 12:53:42 AM »
I've always wondered how N scale had two magazines solely for its scale and thought many a time why they weren't just one with a monthly magazine.

This was the one that I usually purchased between the two as well. At least its not dying for good.
Attempting to model the SP in 2015...

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 06:18:26 AM »
Meanwhile I'm  printing more than double what we were printing last year.

What are you printing?

We were lucky to have two N Scale magazines for as long as we did.
'In my great and unmatched wisdom'

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +544
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 06:35:12 AM »

Me too .. I just re-upped for 3 years after I dropped NSCALE .. I kind of feel deceived .. don't send me the renewal notice, then stop the magazine :(

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +2806
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 06:47:53 AM »
What are you printing?

Newspapers. The next closest (and bigger) one went out of business. They were family owned and in debt for the last 20 years. They tried to sell with no buyers so after they closed we bought their subscriber list and rights to their name and website. So we bought them without buying them. We have no debt.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2019, 11:29:54 AM »
+1
I've always wondered how N scale had two magazines solely for its scale and thought many a time why they weren't just one with a monthly magazine.

I’ve had similar thoughts over time; not enough quality material and not enough customers to support two similar but competing businesses. Sort of like GN and NP competing for business in the Pacific Northwest...neither one survived where maybe one could have. I had dropped N Scale some years ago, and continued to subscribe to NSR until recently because I though I should support “our” magazine, not necessarily for what I considered to be diminishing value.

So kudos to Kirk for making a good run at it for close to 20 years. I’ve enjoyed many an article, especially in the early years, but times do change. If there is a silver lining, perhaps Pamela can look at this as an opportunity to create a better N Scale magazine, hopefully with much stronger advertiser, contributor, and subscriber support. Or not. I’m going to resubscribe to N Scale and give it a year to see whether this happens. Frankly, and with no disrespect to anyone, I’d much rather see one good magazine dedicated to our scale than two not so good ones...
Otto K.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 11:31:26 AM by Cajonpassfan »

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1112
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 03:56:08 PM »
+1
Why don't we wait and see what the new iteration is before writing the obituaries?  Kirk is adapting to the changing playing field.  The content will be comparable to what is in the printed version, plus he's going to take advantage of having a digital canvas that wasn't feasible in print.  The magazine still will have contributor articles and product ads.  Subscribers to the print version will be credited for the unused portion.  The digital version will be FREE and MONTHLY.  It probably will take some issues for the magazine to find its sea legs, but everyone should chill and wait until the digital version is established before throwing bricks.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Respect: +451
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2019, 04:05:54 PM »
+1
This definitely sounds like interesting things to come...
Perhaps a N scale focused MRH style ezine...

Whatever direction it takes putting it online will make it more accesable to me... (being 3 hours from a train focused hobby shop)
Ryan in Alberta

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +289
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2019, 04:20:35 PM »
I suspect (no inside knowledge!) that it will be a lot like Trainini, the Z-scale e-magazine that posts here.  A nice magazine, and some of the stuff is of interest to non-Z modelers and railfans.  I don't care for the PDF format, but since the alternative is having it mailed from Germany, at considerable expense, I'll read it online.  And, they seem to make enough from ads and other sources to keep it free.

If you haven't, take a look at one of their issues, regardless of your modeling scale.  It's probably the future of small-audience publishing.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +111
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2019, 11:51:20 AM »
+1

Perhaps a N scale focused MRH style ezine...

Yes, but Joe F. had to start charging for the MRH digital magazine because of a loss of advertiser revenue. Yes, there is still a free version of the online magazine, but in my opinion many of the interesting articles have been moved to the paid subscription version of the magazine. Again, just my opinion and others may disagree. 

I wish Kirk luck with his idea, but personally I do not enjoy reading online magazines. Staring at a computer screen for long periods of time effects my vision. When reading a printed magazine, you're looking at reflected light, when reading anything online, you're looking at direct light. Maybe it's just part of getting older, but too much time looking at a TV screen or computer screen effects my vision in a negative way.

I agree with others, we seem to be in a paradigm shift, everything I've known and enjoyed seems to be slowly going away. The world is changing and in my personal opinion, not for the better.