Author Topic: CV Ext. Vision Cabeese  (Read 2083 times)

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
Re: CV Ext. Vision Cabeese
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2019, 02:44:49 PM »
I can't get the overly bright track powered interior lights to go off with the wand.
( I have other cars with EZ Peasy lights, and no trouble with wand there.)

The wand turns the red marker lights on and off on the Rapido cabooses. I don't think anything turns off the interior lights short of opening it up and cutting some wires.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +991
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2019, 02:47:55 PM »
That CV caboose is NOT a CN/Point Ste. Charles van.

The only similarity are the added options like the rear inspection lights and electric markers. As noted by someone else it's an American ICC-built caboose.

The Atlas EV (based on an ICC prototype) is definitely more appropriate for the base body of the car and add details as appropriate.

- electric markers
- inspection lights
- step lights
- various grab irons
- oil tank fill on side below cupola (beside the middle grab irons)

My suggestion wasn't that it was the same caboose, only that a CN PSC van would provide a prototypical caboose to go with 1980s CV equipment...  :)

In addition to the details you mentioned, To model the CV caboose you would have to tackle the CN style windows, which would be fun to put it lightly...  :D
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2019, 07:22:32 PM »
Thanks for the marker only light info Chris. I'll have to re-read the copy from Jeff's website.
 Definitely need to do something about the interior lights.
 Joe D

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2019, 01:01:33 AM »
I took the shell off, and the reed switches are closer to cupola, so I was able to switch them on/off.
 Would they be alternating flashing markers on proto? On model each end has one marker brighter than the other.
 Thanks,
 Joe D

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +991
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2019, 08:25:46 AM »
They would show red when the train is moving, and green when they are in the clear for a meet...
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2019, 12:57:53 AM »
I read Spooks review of this, and Mark says the 36" wheels that come on caboose are incorrect. But Rapido will send 33" replacements for it.
 Thanks,
 Joe D

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2019, 10:48:11 AM »
I took the shell off, and the reed switches are closer to cupola, so I was able to switch them on/off.
 Would they be alternating flashing markers on proto? On model each end has one marker brighter than the other.
 Thanks,
 Joe D

Markers are constant. They don't flash or alternate.

Missaberoad gave a nice, concise description of usage. Additionally there is a provision when running on double track to show red to the outside and green on the inside to show safe to pass on that side.

Here's the official rules from the 1962 Canadian UCOR (I imagine most US rulebooks would at least be similar).

19. MARKERS – the following signals will be displayed to the rear of every train to indicate the rear of the train.

By day – markers not lighted.
By Night:On single track and when running with the current of traffic on two tracks, markers lighted displaying red to the rear.On two tracks, when standing or running against current of traffic, markers lighted displaying red to the rear on the outside, and green to the rear on the inside.
On more than two tracks, when running with the current of traffic, or when standing or running against the current of traffic, markers lighted displaying red to the rear unless otherwise directed by special instructions.

When a train is clear of the main track to be passed by another train, lighted markers will display green to the rear.

When the rear of a train is equipped with built-in markers, they must be lighted by day and by night.

When a train is equipped to display a single flashing type marker it will be unlighted by day; by night it will display flashing red to the rear, except when clear of the main track to be passed by another train it will display flashing green to the rear.

EXCEPTION: The requirement that markers display green to the rear when clear of main track does not apply in CTC.

19A. A train not equipped to display markers as prescribed by Rule 19 will display a red flag by day and a red light by night to indicate the rear. The red light will be replaced by a white light when the train is clear of main track.

EXCEPTION: The red light will not be replaced by a white light in CTC.

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2019, 02:13:36 PM »
Well, only red markers on this model. The uneven brightness on one end was a bit of plastic in the way of fiber optic.
The other end could be the way the fiber optic was cut. Not a very clean, flush cut. The red LED's
 need a lot of black paint around them. Maybe this thread should go into Product Discussion, N Scale.
 Thanks,
 Joe D