Author Topic: Squadron Green and replacements  (Read 1586 times)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
Squadron Green and replacements
« on: November 27, 2019, 06:23:11 PM »
Squadron Green has been hard to get recently and my last tube has solidified, so I have been looking at replacements. While Milliput is still the best gap filling putty, I still liked Squadron Green for small gaps and surface irregularity filling - Milliput tends to clump up when spread very thin.

So I bought several putties to test out:

Squadron Gray - appears to have a smaller grain than green, but similar working properties. It still shrinks when drying but doesn't produce cracks along joints as Green did.

Vallejo Putty - this comes in a small bottle or tube, but is essentially the same thing. It is a mix of marble dust and resin. Shrinkage is minimal and surface application is good - it covers surface irregularities better than Squadron products when spreading with a chisel blade. Unfortunately, is forms a rubbery compound when dry that can not be sanded. It has proved to be totally useless.

Tamiya 87053 Basic Putty - Grain is similar to Squadron Green but dries harder and produces a strong finish that can be sanded easily.

Tamiya 87095 White Putty - I saved the best for last. This putty can be spread very thin across surfaces with a chisel blade and spread very thin. Shrinkage is minimal and dries rock solid. Grain is minuscule. It dries fast so working time is only a minute or two. It also has a strong White-Out like odor.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
Re: Squadron Green and replacements
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 06:29:48 PM »
I tried Tamiya White Putty for the first time last year and really liked it, especially for smoothing FDM prints.

I was never really happy with the Squadron putties. Maybe my recollections are distorted since it's been a while, but it seemed like I had to keep reworking patch jobs to get 'em to look right.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 07:10:20 PM »
Didn't we just discuss this exact subject recently?  :?

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=47932.0

I avoid puttys like a plague. Especially the solvent based ones.  CA glue, accelerator and sometimes some sort of filler (plastic filings, talc, etc.) are my putty substitutes.  Just make sure to sand it without waiting too long (like more than24 hours).
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 07:13:33 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 07:30:08 PM »
+3
Uh oh. Busted by the thread police.

"Sir, do you know why I pulled you over? Unnecessary topic redundancy. Registration and modeler's license, please."

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 07:37:13 PM »

"Sir, do you know why I pulled you over? Unnecessary topic redundancy. Registration and modeler's license, please."

Hey, we have just been giving opinions on duplicate posts in multiple forums (in another thread), so I'm in a policing mood.  ;)  But seriously, I remember that fairly recent discussion, so after a quick search I found the thread and pointed Daniel to it.  I also informed him about my putty alternative.  Was that really, really bad?  :)
. . . 42 . . .

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +152

draskouasshat

• Crew
  • Respect: +641
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 11:58:58 AM »

would you expect any less?
I have good luck with the Tamiya. the only problem is that it shrinks as it dries quite a bit. multiple coats are needed.

drasko
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 12:05:42 PM by draskouasshat »
Draskos Modelworks. Contact me for your 3D modeling needs!
SFM (Super Fleet Modeler) member #1
I HAVE 3800 class santa fe 2-10-2s!!

nscalbitz

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 05:22:26 PM »
>>- Milliput tends to clump up when spread very thin.

Never had that problem over 40 years of use on military models and such.
If it 'clumps' it hasn't been mixed completely.

Making a slurry and having to wait 2-3 days depending on air temp kinda stalls some work, but happily used it to adhere to lead/ pewter and plastics, for belts/ boxes/ adornments and plumes etc. But it will fix 'thin' and sandable on just about anything. Even used over age pieces for weighting rr cars!
davew

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 08:21:58 PM »
Hey, we have just been giving opinions on duplicate posts in multiple forums (in another thread), so I'm in a policing mood.  ;)  But seriously, I remember that fairly recent discussion, so after a quick search I found the thread and pointed Daniel to it.  I also informed him about my putty alternative.  Was that really, really bad?  :)

This is just awesome?  At least your posts don’t get deleted with no explanation!  I know when I am pushing the limits but the latest was not at all. 
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2019, 10:16:03 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/3M-05098-Acryl-Red-Glazing-Putty/dp/B004BSKK8Y/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=3M%E2%84%A2+Acryl-Red+Putty&qid=1574908477&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sr=8-1

Will provide you with a lifetime supply.

3M has three glazing putties. White is slow dry, Red is medium dry time. Green is fastest of the three. I used a lot of red and green in my body shop.