Author Topic: Fox Valley Loco Detail Parts: HOW?!?!  (Read 6255 times)

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
Re: Fox Valley Loco Detail Parts: HOW?!?!
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2019, 05:59:32 PM »
I measured the FVM grabirons with my digital calipers- they have a diameter of 0.0095"/0.24mm.

A #87 (0.010") drill bit would give the most precise fit for that:

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/78522653
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill_bit_sizes

That's significantly smaller than a #80 (0.0135") bit; using the #80 would have the grabirons 'swimming' in the hole somewhat.  But as you get to the smaller sizes, it often becomes a question of how accurately one can locate the hole. That being said, I'm not much of a fan of drilling jigs.  I think it's hard to find one that fits a given model precisely enough, and then there is the matter of accurately positioning the jig and keeping it there while drilling every hole.   Some holes are practically impossible to position a jig at all, e.g. around numberboards or in tight places.  The jig is probably made for a #80 bit which is too large anyways; I also think that drilling jigs make it easier to break bits.   If you learn to work without a jig then you will have much more freedom and flexibility.   (Again, just my bias preference, I'm sure there are ways to use them successfully.)

Ed

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2019, 06:24:23 PM »
Nice, tho I prefer something where I can put the pointy/sharp end facing down:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y3P5B5V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ed

If the pointy ends are facing down, how do you know what you're grabbing?  It'll be trial and error trying to grab the right one, no?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 06:25:58 PM by MK »

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2019, 06:26:54 PM »
If the pointy ends are facing down, how do you know what you're grabbing?  It'll be trial and error trying to grab the right one, no?
Color coded handles, perhaps.
Steve

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2019, 10:53:01 PM »
Peteski,
Where did you get that block holding your tweezers? Been looking for one of those!

Mark

Hey Mark, I made it myself few years back.  I bought a piece of 1x3 poplar at Home Depot, cut couple of pieces, and glued them together to make it wider.   To make the nests for tweezers, I mounted the wooden block in a machinist's vise  mounted to a Micro-Mark X-Y table which was mounted in a drill press. I then used router bit to make the holes.  For the deep cuts I used a Roto-Zip 1/8" cutter bit.  Then few coats of Minwax semigloss urethane provided a nice finish.

I made a similar holder for my hobby lubricants. This one was easier since the holes were round.

Nice, tho I prefer something where I can put the pointy/sharp end facing down:

I specifically made it to have the tips pointing up. Otherwise I could not tell what tweezers I want to take out (as you can see there are many different types of tips).
. . . 42 . . .

Hatchet

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2019, 11:11:12 PM »
Thanks for the detailed explanation.now to see what I can,anage!

Mark

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2019, 07:31:41 PM »
Hey Mark, I made it myself few years back.  I bought a piece of 1x3 poplar at Home Depot, cut couple of pieces, and glued them together to make it wider.   To make the nests for tweezers, I mounted the wooden block in a machinist's vise  mounted to a Micro-Mark X-Y table which was mounted in a drill press. I then used router bit to make the holes.  For the deep cuts I used a Roto-Zip 1/8" cutter bit.  Then few coats of Minwax semigloss urethane provided a nice finish.

I made a similar holder for my hobby lubricants. This one was easier since the holes were round.

I specifically made it to have the tips pointing up. Otherwise I could not tell what tweezers I want to take out (as you can see there are many different types of tips).

Ah ha.  I was going to ask where you got the square/rectangular drill bits from.  😁
Steve

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2019, 09:43:31 AM »
Norm Abram taught me how to drill a square hole.

<Caution: Classic TRW Thread Drift Alert!>

Normie was always the canonical gadget guy.   What's he been up to lately?

Ed

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2019, 12:44:50 PM »
Those bits also require a special attachment for the drill press to hold the chisel. Also I'm not sure they are universal to all drill presses...
They do work pretty slick tho...

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/american-woodworker-blog/mortising-drill-press/

The rectangular holes in my tweezers holder are stepped.  In the bottom of the larger hole is a narrower hole centered in the bigger one. This is to keep the tweezers standing upright (so they do not lean to either side).
. . . 42 . . .