Author Topic: CMR WM chopnose geep shell  (Read 2283 times)

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +718
Re: CMR WM chopnose geep shell
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2019, 01:21:34 PM »
+1
If you have some 2 oz. or lighter fiberglass, I would cut a piece the size of the inside roof and then flood it with CA.  If you have some friends that fly does RC planes or boats, they may have some lying around.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4529
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2019, 04:28:54 PM »
If you have some 2 oz. or lighter fiberglass, I would cut a piece the size of the inside roof and then flood it with CA.  If you have some friends that fly does RC planes or boats, they may have some lying around.

While good idea, fiberglass seems like a bit of an overkill. But using pieces of facial tissue, or even some regular paper instead of fiberglass, and thin CA (which will readily soak into them) will result in a strong repair. And CA glue will not craze urethane casting resins - no worries there.  Plus if the repair was to be made on the inside, it will be invisible.

But if done on the outside, just cut a piece of smooth paper (typing, laser or ink jet) the same size as the roof, and using thin CA start gluing it down from one side to the other  (by soaking it with CA). Don't glue your fingers!  :)  Large area of wet CA will likely emit some fumes (strong odor), but will result in a smooth paper surface
. . . 42 . . .

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +718
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2019, 04:43:36 PM »
If you've ever worked with 2 oz fiberglass it's really thin, especially after you soaked it.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2019, 04:58:12 PM »
If you've ever worked with 2 oz fiberglass it's really thin, especially after you soaked it.

I have not worked with it (and don't have any hanging around).  I also don't imagine Lee (Mr. Reuse/recycle) buying some fiberglass just to use 1" square, when he can do it on-the-cheap (I'm sure he has lots of paper in his office), and a CA/paper laminate will result in a smooth surface (not sure if the fiberglass would result in a slightly  textured surface).

Just providing an alternative here.
. . . 42 . . .

GM50 4164

• Crew
  • Respect: +82
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2019, 09:11:39 PM »
Lee, my shell from CMR is the same way. I need to get started on this project soon. I'm definitely watching this thread!

Benjamin H

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5348
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2019, 10:07:20 PM »
Maybe I goofed... I just flooded the inside of the roof with CA.  No tissue or fiberglass, or rebar for that matter.
Just checked it though, and despite having been applied several hours ago, the CA wasn't completely cured.   So I've cut a piece of tissue paper and laid it in to soak up the excess, and it seems to be working well.

Since taking the picture, the glue has fully wicked into the bandage, so I'm anticipating by morning it should be a solid fix.

Lee
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 10:09:08 PM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2019, 10:22:14 PM »
CA does not dry like regular glues. It hardens by a chemical reaction. Accelerator fluid does the job instantly.  CA will also set in presence of moisture in the air (but in the Winder there isn't much of that in cold climates - that is why we constantly get zapped by static).  Paper (especially facial tissue or kitchen paper towels) also seem to contain some chemical which speeds up CA cure. So, your tissue will likely accelerate the cure.  But if a puddle of CA is left on a dry surface, surrounded by dry ambient air, it will not set very fast.
. . . 42 . . .

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5348
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2019, 05:43:47 PM »
The CA has cured completely, and feel confident that the repair will be adequate.  There's still a wee bit of flex in the roof, but it no longer feels like it will rupture at the slightest imposition.

There's one little bubble that seems to have formed, but I will attempt to buff that out and patch it if need be.  It's about where the horn will go, so I'm not losing sleep over it.

On to the next phase.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net