Author Topic: What old zombies should come back, and who should do them?  (Read 2938 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1549
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
What old zombies should come back, and who should do them?
« on: November 15, 2019, 01:02:33 PM »
As I monkey around with all this old stuff I've gathered, I find myself realizing that there were some pretty interesting N scale models produced back in the dark ages that never made it back as mechanisms and detail standards evolved.
Knowing that several manufacturer reps lurk here, I wonder who else has a list of old dogs that could learn some new tricks?
Also, since most manufacturers have carved out niches for themselves, which do you think might be best to revive some of these old models?
It will surprise no one that my first choice would be a new Metroliner, which I think would best be tackled by Rapido, who has proven themselves time and again for quality passenger projects.
A close second would be an E60 to replace Bachmann's entry, which looked reasonably good, but is a dog mechanically.  Atlas or Kato would be the most likely to handle that chore.
So what would you like to see rise from the grave, and who should dig it up?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 04:58:05 AM by GaryHinshaw »
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +1066
Re: What old zombies should come back, and who should do them?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 01:26:03 PM »
The Con-Cor/Kato U50. A must for '60s UP and SP modelers. Athearn was sniffing around at the idea (port from HO), but Jim (Conway) threw a temper tantrum during a mfr's breakfast promising to re-run, which of course never happened. I wouldn't want Kato to do it even though UP is "their" market as my concern would be resurrection of the 1960s tooling as they are wont to do with long-in-the-tooth models.

Of course, there's the SD45 - Kato, Atlas/Roco and Con-Cor/Roco. ScaleTrains.com has it on their HO platter and it's simply a matter of enough push from our end to port it to N. That would be a winner.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

Dave V

• Crew
  • The Route of the Galloping Goose
  • Respect: +3975
    • Dave Vollmer's N Scale Pennsy
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 01:35:54 PM »
+1
What about the old Bachmann Reading I10sa 2-8-0?  I feel like that could use some love.  But then I don't know what all's happened in N scale in a few years.

Silver San Juan Scenic Line

Member SlimRail Modular Colorado Narrow Gauge
http://www.slimrail.net/

muktown128

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 02:01:32 PM »
RSD-15 - Atlas or Kato
Trix 2-10-0 - BLI
Trix 0-6-0 - BLI
Trix U28C - Atlas or Kato (I know Hornby did this recently)
Trix FM12-44 - Atlas

Reaching a bit...
C-636 - Atlas or Kato
U36B - Atlas or Kato

I'm sure I'll think of a few more...

mike_lawyer

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 02:27:49 PM »
The Trix 0-6-0 in a modern form would be great.  There is really a dearth of small steam switchers up to modern standards. 

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 02:49:01 PM »
Steam is always tricky, because outside of the USRA vibe, there's so much that's road specific.  Then again, the modern short run ethos might support that better now.  As for manufacturers, I'd almost prefer to see Bachmann retool those models rather than BLI.  With Bachmann, we'll never know they're coming... they don't do much pre-announcing... but once they arrived they'd be here in large, reasonably affordable quantities.  If the quality is on a par with the upgrades they've done with the 2-8-0, and even the 0-6-0 and 4-8-4 (drivewise, anyway) that would definitely be a win.  BLI would be the opposite.  We'd know about it, but have to wait 10 years and then pay $400 for a unit.  They would be fabulous, no doubt, but I'd rather have a fleet of pretty good than a promise of perfect some day.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

w neal

• Crew
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 03:54:08 PM »
The ole U50s would be nifty. I never knew they made it to Chicago on the Q.

I think the road specific concept is not something that should be feared by any manufacturer. Look at all the success FVM has had with road specific cabooses. I sure do not see tons of them sitting around unsold. Of course this is more easily accomplished as there is no mechanism involved. How ' bout the bobber caboose from days of yore?

I think the market is ripe for the U36B. I'll bet the original Auto Train would be a surprising mass seller (not a Bachmann re-run however). The pretty stuff always sells. Sure is hard to find a lot of Kato Freedom Train locos, and there are no matching Kato cars. I betcha Kato could paint their UP domes in Auto Train, offer them in a 2-pack, and sell out quickly.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 04:13:24 PM by w neal »
Buffering...

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +357
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 04:37:48 PM »
As I monkey around with all this old stuff I've gathered, I find myself realizing that there were some pretty interesting N scale models produced back in the dark ages that never made it back as mechanisms and detail standards evolved.
Knowing that several manufacturer reps lurk here, I wonder who else has a list of old dogs that could learn some new tricks?
Also, since most manufacturers have carved out niches for themselves, which do you think might be best to revive some of these old models?
It will surprise no one that my first choice would be a new Metroliner, which I think would best be tackled by Rapido, who has proven themselves time and again for quality passenger projects.
I'd vote for Kato to revive the Metroliner.
They're more than halfway there having previously made Amfleet cars and the RDC mechanism could be re-purposed for the chassis.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +1999
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 05:15:44 PM »
I'd vote for Kato to revive the Metroliner.
They're more than halfway there having previously made Amfleet cars and the RDC mechanism could be re-purposed for the chassis.

But the million dollar question is whether it would sell well enough in Japan (since that is big part of Kato's decision making)?
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

muktown128

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 06:51:10 PM »
Steam is always tricky, because outside of the USRA vibe, there's so much that's road specific.  Then again, the modern short run ethos might support that better now.  As for manufacturers, I'd almost prefer to see Bachmann retool those models rather than BLI.  With Bachmann, we'll never know they're coming... they don't do much pre-announcing... but once they arrived they'd be here in large, reasonably affordable quantities.  If the quality is on a par with the upgrades they've done with the 2-8-0, and even the 0-6-0 and 4-8-4 (drivewise, anyway) that would definitely be a win.  BLI would be the opposite.  We'd know about it, but have to wait 10 years and then pay $400 for a unit.  They would be fabulous, no doubt, but I'd rather have a fleet of pretty good than a promise of perfect some day.

Lee

After giving this some more thought, I'll agree Bachmann might be a better option for the 0-6-0.  This probably isn't a good fit for BLI since they only seem to be interested in offering locos with sound and it would be tough to do sound in this unit.  I'd rather see BLI offer more big Pennsy steamers like the I1sa and J1 anyway.  BLI's delivery schedule has gotten a lot better since the M1 fiasco...

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 07:20:03 PM »
But the million dollar question is whether it would sell well enough in Japan (since that is big part of Kato's decision making)?

Which is why I'd rather see Rapido do it.  He's already well into the Amtrak thing, having trotted out F40s and the Turbo Train (so not just Amtrak, but highly specialized, tasty tasty Amtrak!)  And interior lighting in those Metroliners?  and marker lights? Jason would be all over that like a South Carolinian on an icy road.

I think even customized drives aren't that big of an issue anymore either.  Most diesels use components that are largely interchangeable, the only variable being the cast frame, which is probably the cheapest part of the drive.  Steam would obviously present more challenges with different driver diameters, valve gear, wheel arrangements etc., but with a few modest compromises, could probably find more specific models to build... But that's not the point of the conversation...  What models would we like to see revived in a new and improved state?  The Trix 0-6-0 has quickly become one of my favorites.  Mine (I now have two viable samples) run for hours and effortlessly, and even nominally quietly, but man, could they use a lower start speed and a wee bit less wobble.

@Kentuckian is working on that 0-10-0 switcher from a Trix Decapod... and I've got two busted Atlas 0-8-0s.  I know Walthers/Proto did an 0-8-0, but they're like finding Big Foot.  So maybe a new version of the 0-8-0?

I guess one of the things that made me think of this is that in the old days, there were maybe 6 or 10 basic locomotives, and we got what we got and we LIKED it.  But now that short runs and multi media, and hyper accuracy are ruling the day, some of those old common styles have been overlooked, and are just not out there in a revitalized form.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 07:22:56 PM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +357
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2019, 12:02:53 AM »
Which is why I'd rather see Rapido do it. 
But their "dual-mode" decoders would croak when run with train set grade power packs.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2019, 02:20:35 AM »
1. Bachmann construction vehicle packs. We could use an updated version. Maybe if MTL sells their construction loads, that would fill the need.

2. Plymouth DMT/WTD - still no scale version of a very prevalent prototype perfect for small layouts.

3. Minitrix U28C/U30C

4. Bachmann U36B - doubtful now that Briggs couldn't even get enough pre-orders for a kit.
'In my great and unmatched wisdom'

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +131
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2019, 02:34:16 AM »
5-axle C-Liners!!!  (Come on, Rapido!)

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +289
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2019, 02:39:14 AM »
Since the Minitrix U28C is a late version, basically identical to the U30C, the Kato U30C is very close to it.  All we need is for Kato to rerun theirs...

How about Con-Cor's C636?
N Kalanaga
Be well