Author Topic: C&O 0-10-0 switcher  (Read 2311 times)

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +932
    • Maxcow Online
Re: C&O 0-10-0 switcher
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2019, 04:31:52 PM »
I *think* you'll be okay grinding that front motor face back a little.  But you might want to do both: grind a little on the frame and grind some on the motor, until it can just drop in there.   Looking at how that shaft sits about where the idler gear is, what you really want is to move the motor BACK somewhat.  That black cover on the rear of the motor can come off, and then you'll see the wire solder points and such.  You could put a thin styrene disk back there in place of it, and that should let the motor move back a little.  And of course, you could completely cut away that rear frame plate, allowing the motor to go back as far as you want.

Have you tried running the motor on your workbench with some variable DC?  If you have never done this with a Maxon motor, you really should, just for the entertainment value.  It's pretty freaky to see a 12 volt motor start turning at something like 0.3 volts.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +1998
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2019, 05:23:45 PM »
+1
Yes, the brass front of the motor can be turned down quite a bit.  Here are few I turned  on my lathe. It will give you an idea by how much the motor can be shortened.

--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +932
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2019, 10:38:48 PM »
Update on that sleeving I posted the link to:
Look on Amazon (or anywhere) for CynKen stainless capillary tube.
Among many other sizes, you will find it in:

OD 1.5mm  ID 1.0mm
OD 1.5mm  ID 0.9mm
OD 1.5mm  ID 0.8mm

It arrived today.  Since it is coming from China, expect a long shipping time (a few weeks).   As I had hoped, the sleeving fits
push-on tight on the Maxon 1.0mm shaft.  It's not so tight that it has to be pressed on with a gear puller/press, but it also isn't a "slip fit" either.  It goes on with finger pressure, but is nice and snug.  That is exactly what I would have hoped for.  When I experiment by sleeving a Maxon 1.0mm motor shaft with some of this stuff, and then push a Kato/Atlas standard worm over it, I'll start a new thread and post some pics.  But so far, I am very optimistic.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +1998
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2019, 10:56:28 PM »
Thanks for that report Max. I also ordered bunch of those capillary tubes (haven't arrived yet), and it is good to know that they will work well for sleeving the motor shafts.
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +107
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2019, 07:37:30 AM »
Yes, Max, thanks for the link and the follow up report. I’m waiting on mine, too. I am working on the tender and boiler while waiting. Hopefully I will have something more to post soon.
Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun