Author Topic: BLW replacement suggestions  (Read 1779 times)

mark.hinds

• Crew
  • Respect: +23
BLW replacement suggestions
« on: November 03, 2019, 02:58:01 PM »
Looking for a replacement for the irreplaceable BLW.  His brother's site, HogTrainz, is pretty disorganized, and doesn't seem to list in stock N-scale (maybe there isn't any...). 

The primary desired criterion is an organized web store, where one can quickly zero in on the desired product by scale, manufacturer, and type.  300-page random lists of products are not desired.  Any suggestions? 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 03:00:07 PM by mark.hinds »

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +275
Re: BLW replacement suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 03:00:30 PM »
An alternative would be Klein's (modeltrainstuff.com).

mark.hinds

• Crew
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 03:08:08 PM »
An alternative would be Klein's (modeltrainstuff.com).

Thanks, but I already tried that.  As an example, it shows only 18 (total) Atlas N-scale locomotives, and all are different paint jobs of the ALP-45DP.  In contrast, BLW would have listed the entire spectrum of Atlas locomotives types (close to 40 types), with decent selection for at least half of them, yielding many hundreds of locomotives.  Perhaps N-scale is dying, and I haven't been keeping in touch.  :-(
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 03:14:18 PM by mark.hinds »

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +389
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 03:21:49 PM »
+2
The primary desired criterion is an organized web store, where one can quickly zero in on the desired product by scale, manufacturer, and type.  300-page random lists of products are not desired.  Any suggestions?

nscalesupply.com  (For N scale, obviously ;) )

(Be sure too to check out the pre-owned page)

Ed

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +1043
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 03:23:39 PM »
... I haven't been keeping in touch.  :-(

That's your operative phrase. N scale production in the past two years has been seriously hit-and-miss due to a sudden factory closure in China which affected the entire industry. Anything at BLW was new old-stock. The pipeline is just starting to be refilled.

I'll second nscalesupply.com. I just looked and they have some stock on recent releases, but it's dwindling quickly. They also stand by their used stock. Beyond that, if you're looking for something specific, your next move will be calling around to brick & mortar LHSs since online shops are usually the first to be wiped-out when there is limited production.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +858
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 03:28:24 PM »
Hogtrainz does need an update since he is basically taking over Petes business.  He has his HO scale separated, maybe it's a work in progress.  On the right side is N scale items, what's new at the top has all reservations and new arrivals, then various arrivals listed underneath.  I did find though about 2/3 way down page he has a link for all In Stock Locomotives, broken down by Manufacturer and then by model.

https://hogtrainz.com/NLOCOMOTIVES.htm

flight2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 03:40:05 PM »
Hiawatha Hobbies in Wisconsin has a pretty good supply and decent website for finding stuff.  They ship fast too.

https://www.hiawathahobbies.com/N-Scale_c_9.html

Brian
I've never met a covered hopper I didn't like.... :)

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 05:08:54 PM »
As an example, it shows only 18 (total) Atlas N-scale locomotives, and all are different paint jobs of the ALP-45DP.  In contrast, BLW would have listed the entire spectrum of Atlas locomotives types (close to 40 types), with decent selection for at least half of them, yielding many hundreds of locomotives.  Perhaps N-scale is dying, and I haven't been keeping in touch.  :-(
Are you looking for an archival listing of all products that have been produced, or do you want to see what the dealer presently has in stock for sale?

Keep in mind that the manufacturers are more ever closely tailoring their production quantities to match pre-order quantities. 
Likewise, dealers seem to be ordering fewer items 'on spec' and only ordering to fill their own pre-orders or what they know from past experience will be in high demand.
As a result, even recently produced products may sell out quickly after they are shipped to retailers, if not before.

Two other dealers to try are:
http://www.tophobbytrains.com/
https://www.lombardhobby.com/

Lombard's site shows the quantity of inventory for each item.
Top Hobby doesn't show inventory levels, but if you try to order more than they have in stock then the order won't go through.

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +214
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 09:10:47 PM »
+1
Honestly there is no replacement for BLW. Pete's site was top notch and his customer service second to none. 28 years of satisfied customer speaking.

Lombard hobbies site, linked in post above, is growing on me, but they have the same habit as MBK of listing each individual road number on some items in the new product listing, which makes scrolling through looking for items a bit tedious, though I have gotten used to it over at MBK.

Hogtrainz isn't too bad on new releases for N scale, but finding staple supplies and structures in N scale is a rough go there.
Peter Pfotenhauer

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +281
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 12:35:29 AM »
I'm also an N Scale Supply customer, having migrated from Feather River Trains.  No complaints about the service, and they're quick to answer emails as well. 

And, I agree, check out their pre-owned section.  I've gotten some good stuff there.
N Kalanaga
Be well

greenwizard88

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 10:25:19 AM »
I used N scale supply once while looking for a GG1, about a year ago (so long after the initial run). I don't have any complaints. Generally, my go-to is MB Kleins for newer releases, or Train World for pre-orders.

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +389
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2019, 11:24:38 AM »
BTW, for NSS, there are open hours on Saturdays, for anyone in the area interested in looking around.  I'll be checking it out myself once I get back (and Mr. Wallet has recovered from this 'pesky vacation' thing)  :D

Ed

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2019, 11:31:29 PM »
N scale may not be dying, but the shops that cater to N scalers as well as BLW did are.

Bob

• Crew
  • Respect: +106
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 10:35:32 AM »
I use both MB Klein and also Fifer Hobby - Fifer sometimes has things that Klein does not.

southernman

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2019, 11:35:07 AM »
I hate to see BLW go away as this was my go to online retailer and if ever there was a problem Pete imediatly made it right. Having said that, I have used both MBK and N Scale Supply with no issues.. I would have to give the edge to N Scale supply though.A good example would be just this week when I placed an order on Thursday  morning and had it here in TN. by noon on Saturday,priority mail. That just blows my mind and it always happens that fast..Amazing.