Author Topic: Weekend Update 11/3/19  (Read 3356 times)

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1336
Re: Weekend Update 11/3/19
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 07:45:56 PM »
+20
I've been busy this week making clean stuff dirty. This trio of Athearn N-scale RailBox box cars is among the victims. The cars are from their "Primed for Grime" series, so they came with patches and "ghost" lettering from the factory. I masked-off the patches, added the rust and grime, and "tagged" them with graffiti decals.

Chris Broughton

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." - Mark Twain

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +1970
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 07:47:37 PM »
That is some excellent weathering/tagging chris!  What is the source of that graffiti?
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +1043
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 08:14:44 PM »
...https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/05/24/used-car-deal-of-the-century-included-30-bugattis...

Yikes!... John Shakespeare and his Bugattis... gawd, that sent chills. John's lifestyle and his demise still sets tongues wagging around here ("here" being Centralia), 44 years later. The long-retired police chief, who was then a young lieutenant overseeing the investigation, is a good friend. He refuses to talk about it. He'll recall when we had several bordellos in downtown - and we're talking into the late 1960s! - but Shakespeare? Nope.

Shakespeare's shop was in the semi-industrial northwest side of town, west of Southern's junction with the BN.

Thanks for the link, Richie. I will format the article for display at our history museum to include in an exhibit on my to-do list, "Centralia's Dark Side". A diorama may even be in order. Hmmmmm.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +389
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 08:17:09 PM »
This trio of Athearn N-scale RailBox box cars is among the victims. The cars are from their "Primed for Grime" series, so they came with patches and "ghost" lettering from the factory.

Man I gotta get me a few of those!   :drool:

Nice work you did! 8)

Ed

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1336
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 09:00:42 PM »
+1
That is some excellent weathering/tagging chris!  What is the source of that graffiti?

Thanks, @peteski ! The decals are from one of Microscale's graffiti sets. I like them because they're actually opaque when applied, unlike most of the home-brew decals you see on eBay.

The weathering is mostly artist oils (burnt sienna and burnt umber) from a tube and applied/removed with Q-tips wetted with a little bit of Turpenoid. The rusty scratches and chips are the same artist oils applied with a toothpick. I give it a dusting of grime and some dust along the sills with an airbrush last, then seal everything with dullcote.

Chris
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 11:05:45 PM by cbroughton67 »
Chris Broughton

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." - Mark Twain

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +1970
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 10:13:25 PM »
Thanks Chris!  The weathering method sounds easy (until I actually try it).   :)
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

bnsfdash8

• Crew
  • Respect: +469
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 10:45:15 PM »
+8
More progress on the GP59

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Reese
Modeling Norfolk Southern one loco at a time.

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +1473
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 10:50:26 PM »
+5
We decided to take a trip north and visit our friends in Minnesota for the weekend. Anyone in Twin Cities area, come on out to Shakopee and say hi!

Quite proud of this little mess we made. 

https://i.imgur.com/rpjjo07.jpg

We got about 80% set up and operational before they kicked everyone out.  Just need to align the last leg on the left.  This is going to be an awesome set up!

https://i.imgur.com/vjRrg9n.jpg
Support CGNscale on Patreon!

Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +143
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 11:46:23 PM »
Looks like a great layout Mark!

milw156

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
    • Modutrak
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 12:37:15 AM »
+4
Finally had a chance to sit down and edit some videos I took lat weekend at the Chicago area Railroad prototype Modelers meet held in the western suburbs. Was only able to make it for Saturday, but caught a couple of trains in a few different spots. Check out Jim Starbuck's "critter" an Alco HH660
/>Wish I could make it up to Shakopee this weekend, but Trainfest is next weekend.
Rick

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +166
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 08:03:24 AM »
+4

Jesse6669

• Crew
  • Respect: +161
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 09:13:54 AM »
+6
It was a busy week in smallest scale... 

I drafted 2-foot narrow gauge Lima arch-bar trucks (per prototype picture of ore car) for a fellow modelling former Gilpin Railroad equipment.  If anyone has better pictures--I was working from that picture so this is mostly dead reckoning and educated guess drafting.  These will be Zn2 scale..so trucks are actual 3mm gauge.  so the design will need to be modified to print properly because they would be far too fragile as-is.  I reckon these would print in HO or larger just fine though, so if interested let me know.   <edit--I just noticed something on the rendering that needed to be fixed!  Douh! .. well it's fixed. >

I decorated a new design (Bethgon Coalporters) with CMR Decals for a G52X.  Also have a Bessemer & Lake Erie corten hopper, the reporting marks/number has since been removed because they are too oversize.  They were pieced together from scrap decals but I have ordered CMR decals for their ex-RI hoppers which should have the proper size reporting marks and numbers.   

Structure-wise, I'm working on the Sharonville engine house but no pics yet--just washing off and prepping for paint, and hopefully have some pics next week.  There are inspection pits, and I'm contemplating doing some kind of interior detail.   I also completed and ordered this federal (I think?) style row house.  It's a 1:450 model of a local place owned by a friend, which should be interesting if it prints ok as it's a solid piece.  Painting it will be a challenge..   Here's the rendering:

« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 09:34:50 AM by Jesse6669 »

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +534
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2019, 10:39:45 AM »
+6
Wow .. some awesome modeling .. my picture is less than worthy following this crowd

This weekend so far I've painted up some more military loads ..

1) HMVWW with anti-aircraft missiles .. resized from 1/100 3D file found on Thingyverse
2) Stryker with anti-tank missile -- Shapeways model
3) Stryker MGS - Shapeways model
4/5)  Stryker - resized from 1/100 Thingiverse ..

« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 10:42:44 AM by John »

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +161
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2019, 11:23:22 AM »
+7
With layout construction on hiatus while we contemplate a move, I've returned to weathering rolling stock for my mid-'50s era. Before and after pics:

Jim