Author Topic: Proposed HO/HOn3 Layout. Colorado Midland/D&RG/C&S  (Read 5179 times)

Hawghead

• Crew
  • Respect: +71
Re: Proposed HO/HOn3 Layout. Colorado Midland/D&RG/C&S
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2020, 05:34:58 PM »
Dennis,

The work scene looks great.  As to the shed, I'd leave it off the loading dock, but I would build some kind of lean to or shelter over the area where the work on the boilers is being done.

Scott
There's a prototype for everything.
If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.
DCC is not plug-n-play.

Summit

• Respect: +4
« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2020, 05:52:45 PM »
+1
Dennis-  It has been a while since I last looked at your progress and I like what you have done, but I will add some feedback.

Painted Background - Wow, for a first attempt I'm very impressed. I believe you can pull off a painted background that will look fantastic.  What I believe are excellent references for background art is the old postcards from the 1900s of the mining towns of Colorado. They are not photographs but very nice art renditions for example - Hell Gate, Woods Lake, Leadville & Mt. Massive. You can find them on ebay often for just a few dollars each and I believe you could really imitate very similar background mountains.

Loading dock - myself I would not use the shed and I feel you need ramps at each end of it.  Even after the introduction of automobiles lots of freight in the Colorado mining districts still utilized wagons for hauling ore and materials. Ramps on each end would be used so they would not have to back the wagons down with a team of onery mules. 

To echo some of the other comments - the boiler works look awsome.  I look forward to your updates, keep them coming.

dcarrell8

• Crew
  • Respect: +35
    • Otter Creek & Rio Grande
« Reply #92 on: May 19, 2020, 06:54:20 PM »
Thank you very much for the kind words and taking the time to comment.  I do greatly appreciate the input!

Dennis,

The work scene looks great.  As to the shed, I'd leave it off the loading dock, but I would build some kind of lean to or shelter over the area where the work on the boilers is being done.

Scott

I considered a shed over the work area but decided against it because it would block the view of the loading dock.

Dennis-  It has been a while since I last looked at your progress and I like what you have done, but I will add some feedback.

Painted Background - Wow, for a first attempt I'm very impressed. I believe you can pull off a painted background that will look fantastic.  What I believe are excellent references for background art is the old postcards from the 1900s of the mining towns of Colorado. They are not photographs but very nice art renditions for example - Hell Gate, Woods Lake, Leadville & Mt. Massive. You can find them on ebay often for just a few dollars each and I believe you could really imitate very similar background mountains.

Loading dock - myself I would not use the shed and I feel you need ramps at each end of it.  Even after the introduction of automobiles lots of freight in the Colorado mining districts still utilized wagons for hauling ore and materials. Ramps on each end would be used so they would not have to back the wagons down with a team of onery mules. 

To echo some of the other comments - the boiler works look awsome.  I look forward to your updates, keep them coming.

Excellent point, I had planned on building stairs in two locations to access the dock. I hadn't considered vehicle traffic to the industry, an obvious over site on my part during the planning process. I will have to look a little closer and see if I can make sense of how a truck/wagon might get to the area.   I had imagined the industry as rail served only, so I purchased a pillar logging crane that I plan on adding to the scene.  I figure the boilers are heavy and they would be hoisted off and on to the flat beds.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Thanks again
~ Dennis

"I cut it three times, and it's STILL too short"