Author Topic: Testors (turns out this is a hoax)  (Read 3653 times)

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
Re: Testors
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2019, 07:35:06 PM »
Not to give any credence to the claims in the letter, but selling in other countries involves labeling requirements unique to that jurisdiction (for example, French/English language labels in Canada) which would necessitate separate smaller runs for at least some of the production.

While the production runs for the raw materials are larger, the lots for bottling/labeling are smaller, and an added expense.

Edit: In addition each country has their own laws for packaging, handling, sales and shipping of dangerous goods, which may or may not apply...

Once again, not at all trying to prove any claims, just making a statement that manufacturing is not a monolith of more=easier.

Also I imagine most of your frustration on this subject stems from Facebook? Came in here all guns blazing!  :D

If that's what they'd said...i.e,. "We're restricting production and sales to our US and Canadian markets going forward due to excessive costs of producing for overseas markets" I'd buy it.  But that's not what this letter says.  It says in the same breath that Testor's is ending altogether and yet only overseas shipping will be impacted.  It still smells like crap to me.

Maybe they do plan to stop shipping overseas.  Dunno.  But the claim that Testors is closing is crap, so I would not put any stock in any other claim in the letter until independently verified.

My frustration with people not fact checking extends waaaaaaaaaay beyond Facebook.  And I'm not mad at anyone here.  I'm annoyed at the initial group of folks that spread this around like wildfire, giving it legs long before it got to the Railwire.  I'm worried that some of these hobby shops will make decisions going forward based on this nonsense and that would have a real impact, not an imaginary one.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 07:37:41 PM by Dave V »

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
Re: Testors (turns out this is a hoax)
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2019, 07:50:12 PM »
No the cap says what is in the can, the can doesn't. This is the problem.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2019, 08:27:51 PM »
Imagine how much better a place the world would be if people naturally sought a second source for new information as a matter of reflex.  I know I do.

Yeah, FB and the lemmings within comes to mind.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Testors (turns out this is a hoax)
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2019, 09:43:20 PM »
No the cap says what is in the can, the can doesn't. This is the problem.

I see. That is a completely different problem.  Generic can label - again, probably a cost-saving measure.  :|
. . . 42 . . .

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2019, 09:43:53 PM »
+1
There's a real lesson here.

So poor Steve McCroskey didn't pick the wrong month to stop huffing paint?

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Peter Pfotenhauer