Author Topic: Block detection - Digitrax or RR-CirKits?  (Read 682 times)

Bill H

• Crew
  • Respect: +36
Re: Block detection - Digitrax or RR-CirKits?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2019, 11:07:36 AM »
John:
Thanks for that input. I design national government IT systems around the world for a living so you might say that tinkering is part of my DNA.  I was going to continue to develop PanelPro but will take a look at CATS as well. Right now, it seems to make more sense for me to run Watchman with remote sensors than running feeds a very long distance. My layout will span three rooms with 240 feet of signaled single track mainline so Watchman seems the better approach though I note that RR-Circuits seems to be moving to LCC. Also wondering why they went with the simple serial bus approach.

Thanks to all who contributed their experiences, much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Bill
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 06:00:13 PM by Bill H »

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +534
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2019, 04:02:47 PM »
I think you have a sound plan .. as far as CATS, it is a pretty good program and rides on top of JMRI .. it supports all the major schemes (ABS, CTC, etc ) without too much programming .. Once you get the detection into place, you can start to develop the panel ..  virtual signals are supported in JMRI / and CATS ..

Bill H

• Crew
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2019, 07:41:43 PM »
Hi John:
Any thoughts on moving from DCC To LCC? That seems to be the direction that RR-Cirkits is moving but I am no so sure if that is quite ready for prime time despite what I hear from some early adopters.

Kind regards,
Bill

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +1041
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2019, 07:51:24 PM »
A good "current state" of LCC opinion on the forum is here: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=47834.0
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +534
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2019, 07:57:46 PM »
Hi John:
Any thoughts on moving from DCC To LCC? That seems to be the direction that RR-Cirkits is moving but I am no so sure if that is quite ready for prime time despite what I hear from some early adopters.

Sorry .. I haven't followed this protocol .. I have too much invested in the loconet devices ..