Author Topic: Atlas ALP-45s And Bi-Level Commuter Cars Just Showed Up In Stock Today  (Read 7500 times)

EL3632

• Crew
  • I like ALCOs.
  • Respect: +187
Re: Atlas ALP-45s And Bi-Level Commuter Cars Just Showed Up In Stock Today
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2019, 12:47:06 PM »
Don't the ditchlights light together with the headlight on the cab car?
Or have you already installed a decoder?

Marc

That photo was taken on DC, the headlights, ditch lights, and rear marker lights all come on at the same time on DCC without a decoder. I have not gotten around to installing a decoder in mine yet.
If you meant the photo didn't show the ditch lights as on, they were, but are not very well lit at that angle. I do not have the car with me at the moment to take another photo, but will when I can, most likely later today.
Modeling the Erie Lackawanna and Delaware & Hudson in 1975, and Conrail and the Delaware & Hudson in 1981.

I want an N Scale GE U33/34/36C!

EL3632

• Crew
  • I like ALCOs.
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2019, 07:54:52 PM »
...but will when I can, most likely later today.
Modeling the Erie Lackawanna and Delaware & Hudson in 1975, and Conrail and the Delaware & Hudson in 1981.

mat82

• Respect: +3
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2019, 03:38:37 AM »
Thank you for the photo.
Has the cab car a slot for a drop in decoder like the KATO Metra cab car or is some soldering needed?

EL3632

• Crew
  • I like ALCOs.
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2019, 11:11:09 AM »
Thank you for the photo.
Has the cab car a slot for a drop in decoder like the KATO Metra cab car or is some soldering needed?
The cab car has a Next18 socket on the top light board. Not sure of availability of any non-sound 18 pin decoders on this continent, the UK uses them pretty extensively though. I am aware ESU is bringing over 18 pin sound decoders.
Again I do not have the car on me to take photographs, possibly later today.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2019, 02:18:05 PM »
The cab car has a Next18 socket on the top light board. Not sure of availability of any non-sound 18 pin decoders on this continent, the UK uses them pretty extensively though. I am aware ESU is bringing over 18 pin sound decoders.
Again I do not have the car on me to take photographs, possibly later today.

You can buy these decoders here in US.  Streamed Backshop has them available.  Here is one from ZIMO.
https://store.sbs4dcc.com/ZimoMX618N18MicroNMRADCCDecoderNEM662IntegralNext18Connector.aspx
. . . 42 . . .

greenwizard88

• Crew
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2019, 07:09:14 PM »
Does the cab car have any space for a speaker? I knew that the HO version did, and the sound file from ESU had station stop announcements.

mat82

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2019, 02:59:34 AM »
Looks like Atlas only shipped the NJT ALP45+Coach+Cab Set and AMT ALP45 loco but no cars yet?

Atlas Paul

• Crew
  • Respect: +361
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2019, 10:54:44 AM »
+4
We are aware of the problem with the slow initial speed of these units and are trying to determine what is causing it.  The preproduction samples did not exhibit this issue, so we have to go through and try and determine what has changed.  As it happens with both DC and DCC versions, it is not a decoder programming problem.  I will post as soon as we figure it out, we have it narrowed down to a couple of possibilities and are working with the factory to determine which one(s) it could be. As others have posted, the speed tends to pick up as the model runs, but after it sits a while the issue returns.

As far as what has shipped - everything, locos, cars, sets, AMT and NJT all shipped at the same time.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2019, 02:39:15 PM »
We are aware of the problem with the slow initial speed of these units and are trying to determine what is causing it.  The preproduction samples did not exhibit this issue, so we have to go through and try and determine what has changed.  As it happens with both DC and DCC versions, it is not a decoder programming problem.  I will post as soon as we figure it out, we have it narrowed down to a couple of possibilities and are working with the factory to determine which one(s) it could be. As others have posted, the speed tends to pick up as the model runs, but after it sits a while the issue returns.

As far as what has shipped - everything, locos, cars, sets, AMT and NJT all shipped at the same time.

Maybe it is the viscosity of the oil/grease used for lubrication?  If I was in a market for this model I would do my own independent research.  :)
. . . 42 . . .

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1720
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2019, 04:37:14 PM »
If they're lubricated at all, I didn't notice it. Admittedly, I didn't take the truck bottom plates off, but just eyeballing the gears through the slots they didn't have that "sheen" to them.

-Mark

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2019, 07:56:51 PM »

Oh man, that sucks. Good luck sorting it out.

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +717
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2019, 10:37:51 PM »
Do the production locos get test run at the factory and, if so, for how long and at what speeds?

mat82

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2019, 04:41:12 AM »
Can anyone please post a photo of the cab car with removed shell?
I'm intrested if there is a speaker mounting spot and how the  decoder slot looks like.
Thanks
Marc

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2019, 01:40:56 PM »
Can anyone please post a photo of the cab car with removed shell?
I'm intrested if there is a speaker mounting spot and how the  decoder slot looks like.
Thanks
Marc

Spookshow's (Mark's) website is invaluable for this type of info. See http://spookshow.net/loco/atlasalp45dp.html

I just wish that he would post slightly larger photos (not just photos 56k modem safe - remember those days?).
. . . 42 . . .

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
  • Respect: +225
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2019, 04:11:42 PM »
Spookshow's (Mark's) website is invaluable for this type of info. See http://spookshow.net/loco/atlasalp45dp.html

I just wish that he would post slightly larger photos (not just photos 56k modem safe - remember those days?).

I think he wanted a picture of the interior of the cab act, rather than the locomotive. From the one that I’ve seen, there is not dedicated space for a speaker. You would probably need to remove some of the interior to install one unless the bottom is hollow and I just didn’t realize it (I don’t actually own any).
- Christian J. Davis