Author Topic: MT October releases are out  (Read 6371 times)

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
Re: MT October releases are out
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2019, 08:43:21 PM »
Those ODTX cars are so foobie. Jinkies...
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2019, 08:51:36 PM »
Understand what you are saying, but when do we get some good stuff from BLI?   :trollface:

Well, in fairness, the BLI mikes are pretty awesome (other than the non-see through drivers).
Best steam runners and sounders  :facepalm: I have....
But that’s me ...
Otto K.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2019, 08:56:44 PM »
+1
These actually do sell to the "train runners" who enjoy novelty over modeling (think "Lionel"), they use existing tooling (i.e., no R&D expense), and the revenue underwrites the good stuff. Same goes for BLI's sneakers.

It can be good PR. One local club has a small portable layout that is Halloween-themed and used in non-MRR public display settings as a crowd pleaser and to advertise for the bigger train show. Think of it as a gateway drug to real model railroading. :D
Maybe the massive profit on the Halloween train will  pay to finish the tooling on the single window coach.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +982
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2019, 10:43:14 PM »

Ish... Besides the toy like flaws of the model, and the lack of the modifications that were done to the OTDX gondolas, the MT car is the closest thing we have in N scale...

I can't find any photos of the ex CNJ cars with Petrothane logos, but they had panels with logos from a number of plastic/chemical companies originally...

It's a flawed model but it's still in the ballpark...

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/misc-o/otdx1041ajs.jpg

http://www.boxcars.us/Boxcars_M_Z/O/images/21OTDX,%2050'%20Gondola,%201054.jpg
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2098
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2019, 09:57:33 AM »

I will get those cars and be greatfull for them . Really curious if these were around earlier than 1965 in the 50 footers , and 85 footers . Wanted these since 1994 when I saw the 85 footer in Classic Freight Cars the series vol 6 loaded flats and gondolas . Maybe MTL will sell the loads separate and somebody will 3D print up the 85 foot gon ? Either way I am getting these . Thank you MTL woohoo . :D

Richie Dost

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2019, 12:52:20 PM »

I can't find any photos of the ex CNJ cars with Petrothane logos, but they had panels with logos from a number of plastic/chemical companies originally...

I can't find any either, I'm curious where they got the image. If a proper 52' 6" war emergency gondola wasn't on my short list of cars to print, I'd maybe go for one of these.  If they do the green Bakelite Plastics or just a generic OTDX car as a single offering, it will be tough not to pick one up.

edit: found an image of 1115.  It was under 'Miscellaneous' the MS Open Top Loads Volume 2.

Jason
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 01:05:58 PM by wcfn100 »

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2019, 12:58:20 PM »
Really curious if these were around earlier than 1965 in the 50 footers , and 85 footers .

From what I can tell, the longer cars were a mid-60's product while the 52' 6" gondolas were mid 50s'

FWIW, the longer cars are on my not-so-short list of cars to print but only because of need.  It looks like a car that could be drawn in just a couple days if one got a bug up their butt to do it.

One issue with these cars is fitting the containers.  Because our scale cars have to have thicker side walls, something has to give.  I'll be curious how the MTL car works out the 7 containers.

Jason
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 01:08:18 PM by wcfn100 »

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1070
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2019, 03:08:38 PM »
From what I can tell, the longer cars were a mid-60's product while the 52' 6" gondolas were mid 50s'

FWIW, the longer cars are on my not-so-short list of cars to print but only because of need.  It looks like a car that could be drawn in just a couple days if one got a bug up their butt to do it.

One issue with these cars is fitting the containers.  Because our scale cars have to have thicker side walls, something has to give.  I'll be curious how the MTL car works out the 7 containers.

Jason

Would it be possible to model in tiny notch on the top of the wall then flatten the non visible tank sides so it snug fits?
-Al

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2019, 03:40:30 PM »
Would it be possible to model in tiny notch on the top of the wall then flatten the non visible tank sides so it snug fits?

If I were to DIY the fit it would be with magnets under them , magnets put faux gravity where you want it .  :D Do people with iron rich blood weigh more than ..... :facepalm:

Richie Dost

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2019, 04:42:47 PM »
:D Do people with iron rich blood weigh more than ..... :facepalm:

It is amazing how much richer in iron my blood is nowadays than it was 40 years ago.....I must have had helium rich blood in those days to explain the 50 lb difference.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2019, 05:27:41 PM »
+1
Wanted these since 1994 when I saw the 85 footer in Classic Freight Cars the series vol 6 loaded flats and gondolas . Maybe MTL will sell the loads separate and somebody will 3D print up the 85 foot gon ? Either way I am getting these .

As for the 85 footer, I don't know the car's heritage, but it seems the Trainworx Flexi-Van car would be a good start, if you can get a Shapeways load printed.

Similarly, the CELX version seems like it would fit a Trainworx 85-footer (unless that's an 89" flat, in which case an NSM car might do)...

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2019, 08:09:05 PM »
Images of giraffes in convertible cattle cars just flashed through my head...

Does the Lion roar at Micro-Trains  :D  :facepalm:  :scared:

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2019, 12:41:09 AM »
Seeing the different size rubber containers / bladders  gave me a thought . Do these bladders have no air in them , maybe nitrogen in its place . Would air degragate the Petrothelene ? Do these bladders somewhat inflate when filled and that's why some are different sizes ? Might each bladder be tapped as needed while the others remain sealed and fresh .
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 07:59:20 PM by up1950s »

Richie Dost

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2019, 08:00:34 AM »

No.  It's been neutered.   :trollface:

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2019, 01:35:53 PM »

No, Micro Trains is about the mouse, not the lion.

Subtle reference to The Mouse That Roared  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053084/

Peter Pfotenhauer