Author Topic: Tomix track cleaning car and TCS Z2 decoder  (Read 939 times)

Bob

• Crew
  • Respect: +545
Tomix track cleaning car and TCS Z2 decoder
« on: August 28, 2019, 04:05:03 PM »
Well, this is annoying: I purchased a Tomix track cleaning car, then used Mike Fifer's video where he showed how to hook up a TCS Z2 decoder.  Very easy!  But, when I put the car on my programming track (I have an NCE system), I get 'can't read CV'.  I hit enter multiple times - still no luck.  In PAG mode I entered 9999 for a long address, but the car does not respond when put on the track.  I double checked my solder connections - everything good.  Black and red for power pick up, gray and orange to the motor, with all 4 soldered to the board as Mike showed.  Anyone have suggestions?  Thanks!  Bob

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +907
Re: Tomix track cleaning car and TCS Z2 decoder
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 04:12:16 PM »
Is track power on?   :trollface:

(Sorry couldn't resist.. :oops: )

- Did you make sure to isolate the motor? To avoid blowing the decoder..
- Can you get the decoder to accept a program?.. or does it say no decoder?

Trying trying to think of ways to isolate the issue to be between Rail-Decoder... Decoder itself.... Decoder-Motor..

EDIT.. I think the Tomix switch is what would bridge the gap between track power and motor (if you didnt remove the switch contacts).. so if the switch is ON that would bridge the track-motor contacts.. and could have blown the decoder..

~Ian
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 04:18:51 PM by learmoia »
~Ian

Bob

• Crew
  • Respect: +545
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 05:22:12 PM »
Thanks Ian - I think I removed the switch, but I will go check.  If I didn't, then maybe I did blow the decoder.  I did have enough sense to run another locomotive to make sure everything was working!  I'll go check the unit out now.

Bob

KE4NYV

• Respect: +5
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 03:06:34 PM »
I'm not sure what install method you used, but here is what I did and I haven't had any problems...