Author Topic: Help  (Read 1299 times)

LIRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
Help
« on: September 05, 2019, 07:00:52 PM »
I love this DCC, but it does annoy me at times...

I have 2 Bachman F7s. They’ve been running very well individually and in a consist for months. I recently decaled, renumbered and weathered the pair. They have been running just a wee bit fast in the lowest speed step, they were a bit loud and and the addresses were the original (removed) road numbers. So i finally decided to reprogram to match the new road numbers, slow then down a bit and lower the volume.

I have an NCE powercab, used the program track as i have in the past. I set the CVs to their EXACT values as before.....each loco recognizes its new address. The sounds are all lower: master volume, bell and horn. Headlight works. But the loco doesn’t move when i increase the speed. Same situation for both.

I decided to stop and have a beer and seek help. For the DCC, not the beer.

LIRR

• Crew
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 07:25:19 PM »
So apparently the beer helped.

I deleted each of the 2 old road numbers and cleared the consist in 2 steps, clear-consist-road number for each unit.
One unit now works, nice and slow, lower volume.

The second unit hasn’t changed. I will try clear-consist using the single consist number. Then perhaps another beer whether it works or not.

Hawghead

• Crew
  • Respect: +323
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 07:30:42 PM »
+1

I deleted each of the 2 old road numbers and cleared the consist in 2 steps, clear-consist-road number for each unit.
One unit now works, nice and slow, lower volume.

The second unit hasn’t changed. I will try clear-consist using the single consist number. Then perhaps another beer whether it works or not.

If it works have a beer, if it doesn't have two.

Good luck,
Scott
There's a prototype for everything.
If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.
DCC is not plug-n-play.

LIRR

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 07:56:37 PM »
All is well.....

I cleared a consist (that I never created) using the new number of this second loco, and deleted this number also. It did the trick. I assumed once the decoder address was changed there was no link to previous programming. I guess not

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 09:27:44 PM »
+2
All is well.....

I cleared a consist (that I never created) using the new number of this second loco, and deleted this number also. It did the trick. I assumed once the decoder address was changed there was no link to previous programming. I guess not

Nice self-service!  So, how many beers did this fix need?   :)

The loco's address (long or short) might or may not be used in a consist, so changing it (on the programming track, since that is the only way to change the address) might not have made any difference.  For example if advanced consisting is used, that is done on the main. To set it up, command station addresses each loco in the consist (using the "real" loco addresses you told it to use), and programs CV19 of each of those locos with the consist address (which is also kept internally by the command station).    Once CV19 has a non-zero value in it, the model will only respond to that address (will ignore speed step commands sent to its "real"address, but it will respond to function commands sent to its "real" address).  If you take a loco which has the advanced consist enabled (again by having a non-zero value in CV19), and put it on the programming track, you can change its "real" address, but it will still not respond to speed step commands on that address, until you set its CV19=0, which takes it out of advanced consist.

The other types of consisting (basic and universal) do always use the "real"2- or 4-digit addresses (CVs 1 or 17/18), set in the decoder, so changing the loco's address on the programming will affect the consist's behavior, and the locos will respond to the speed step commands issued to their "real" addresses.

More info:
https://dccwiki.com/MU_consisting
http://www.digitrax.com/tsd/KB575/multiple-unit-or-consist-operations-overview/
http://www.digitrax.com/tsd/KB923/cv19-cv21-cv22-advanced-consist-addressfunction-co/
https://ncedcc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205600715-Consisting-Primer-read-first
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 11:42:51 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +564
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 11:20:15 AM »
Nice explanation, Peteski.  I need to remember that.  Buying used as well as taking locos to clubs makes it seems like something I need to keep in mind when my locos act-up for no apparent reason.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8041
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 01:30:53 PM »
In this situation, I MUST recommend using JMRI for when dealing with programming.

It makes it SO much easier when you can see everything right on screen.

jpec

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Perception and reality engage in a daily civil war
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 02:42:32 PM »
Then perhaps another beer whether it works or not.

Beers are like ears, one's ok, two are better...
"trees are non-judgmental, and they won't abuse or betray you."- DKS