Author Topic: Custom Locomotive PCB  (Read 2207 times)

wvgca

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
Re: Custom Locomotive PCB
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2019, 09:06:24 AM »
because of the limitation of the next18 connector to 0.50 amp, they would not be suitable for -most- HO installs, and larger gauges .. mostly just N and smaller ....  and not being picked up by the NMRA for north america might be a hindrance

Super_G

• Crew
  • Respect: +90
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2019, 08:46:33 PM »
I see few issues with home-brewed boards using Next18 connectors.

- Space inside N scale models is at premium - often not enough clearance for this type of interface. That is why we do wired installs.

- I draw my PCB artwork by hand on most boards.  The Next18 connector pads are too fine to do by hand (at least for me).

- Even if you have a PCB with Next18 pads on it, it will require some precise soldering by hand to solder the Next18 connector.

Good luck!

The first locomotive I want to try this on is a Kato SD80MAC with plenty of room for a lokpilot v4.0 decoder near the rear of the locomotive, so space shouldn't be an issue. I also want to get into photo etching copper and brass (I REALLY want to make a TTX unilevel autorack for class 8 trucks and RV's using photo etched brass http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2359360), and I also have access to Altium, Kicad, and I know a guy or two... Also, I've soldered very small SMD's by hand, so I should be good. In reality, it will most likely be more work than it's worth, but I'm willing to learn what it takes to try out something new and learn a new skill. Plus, (spoken from an engineer here) if it ain't broke, fix it.

Thanks!

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2019, 05:06:44 PM »
Off topic but that autorack project would be cool! Maybe use an Atlas 89' flat car?

The first locomotive I want to try this on is a Kato SD80MAC with plenty of room for a lokpilot v4.0 decoder near the rear of the locomotive, so space shouldn't be an issue. I also want to get into photo etching copper and brass (I REALLY want to make a TTX unilevel autorack for class 8 trucks and RV's using photo etched brass http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2359360), and I also have access to Altium, Kicad, and I know a guy or two... Also, I've soldered very small SMD's by hand, so I should be good. In reality, it will most likely be more work than it's worth, but I'm willing to learn what it takes to try out something new and learn a new skill. Plus, (spoken from an engineer here) if it ain't broke, fix it.

Thanks!

Super_G

• Crew
  • Respect: +90
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2019, 08:29:38 PM »
+1
Off topic but that autorack project would be cool! Maybe use an Atlas 89' flat car?

I was thinking about 3D printing a positive of the base for casting it in pewter or the like since the car is ~82' long instead of 89' long like other autoracks, and I don't want to cut up a $20-$40 railcar... I was going to make the rest of the body of the car out of photo etched brass or stainless steel due to some of the details of the car, like the vent holes and such.