Author Topic: Best Of What's in DKS's toolbox?  (Read 6398 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
What's in DKS's toolbox?
« on: September 14, 2019, 11:42:22 AM »
Reading the BR&W thread and, of course, knowing the man's prowess when it comes to structures (and modeling of all types) and having recently created a spreadsheet of what plastic sheets and shapes I have in my stash got me to thinking.

@DKS , what tools and most especially, "stock" (like plastruct pieces and wire) do you keep around "on hand" that allows you to knock stuff out so quickly?

Basically, what have I not realized I need and what have I not realized I'm going to need when I get into more structure projects?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 02:46:56 PM by tom mann »

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Re: What's in DKS's toolbox?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 01:09:01 PM »
+6
OK, stock. Basically I maintain a supply of just about every size of Evergreen strip styrene they make, as well as most of the smaller sizes of angles, I- and H-beams, and tubing. Sheet stock, again I have about every thickness from 0.005 up to 0.125; I also have several thicknesses of black sheet styrene. Plus, I have sheet brass and nickel-silver, and K&S brass tubing, both regular and thin-wall, lots of shapes but mostly angles, and wire rod from 0.125" brass down to 0.005" stainless. I have a fair amount of wood, such as micro-ply and strip stock. Oh, and kits... I buy kits by the bushel (or used to--no need anymore), and sort all the parts by type--brick, stone, wood, etc.--into big boxes o' kitbashing parts.

Tools, well, I'm a tool junkie and have more tools than Carter has pills, but I do the vast majority of work with just a few stock items: X-Acto, straight edges/rulers, small steel triangles, various tweezers, nippers, flush cutters and small needle-noses, micro-files, nail buffers, K&S sanding film, and of course micro-drills down to #95. One of my most valuable power tools is a Micro-Mark mini table saw, plus of course a Dremel. Then, I have two thermostatically-controlled soldering irons, one with a big chisel tip and one with a fine tip. Among countless other tools, I have a Chopper, which is ideal for repetitive cutting of strip stock.

Other stuff... I compulsively collect LEDs of all shapes, sizes and colors; mini- and micro/pager-motors, micro-gears and assemblies, locomotive mechanisms, and mechanical parts scavenged from disc drives, motorized toys and other such tech junk.

Beyond that, I have several cabinets of drawers containing scraps left over from many hundreds of projects. I never throw anything out (well, within reason), and after five decades of modeling, I've accumulated quite a supply of all sorts of stuff--it's invaluable, and would be prohibitively costly--or, in many cases, impossible--to replace.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 01:11:03 PM »
Friggin' sweet inventory.  Thanks for sharing.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 01:16:55 PM »
Almost forgot two critically important items: bright work lights, and magnification (my preference is drug store reading glasses). Also, a work surface: I have several cutting mats--they don't last forever, so I replace them regularly. But I've also found that a hard work surface is useful, too, and I use a large, smooth ceramic tile piece.

I'm sure I've forgotten plenty of other items, so I'll probably be adding to the list every so often.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 01:49:48 PM »
Yep, more...

Chemicals of choice: Acetone (paint thinner, brush cleaner, cyanoacrylate dissolver), MEK (bonding styrene), Heptane, a.k.a. Bestine (degreasing, degumming, general cleaning), and alcohol, both 70% (general cleaning, making washes/stains, ballasting) and 91% (paint stripping). Oh, and a bushel of brushes, from 1/2" flats down to #18/0 spotters.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 09:32:36 AM by DKS »

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 02:12:21 PM »
Just for reference, here's all of the tools and whatnot I used for the steel shop project:

Since I don't have a workshop yet--let alone a workbench--I kept things to a bare minimum.

(Not shown: mini-table saw, soldering iron.)

« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 04:52:38 PM by DKS »

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +717
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 03:20:53 PM »
So, you essentially have on hand one of these:

plus one of these:

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 03:31:02 PM »
So, you essentially have on hand one of these:

Pretty much.

plus one of these:

Maybe half.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 03:40:42 PM »
A while back I searched ebay for Evergreen styrene lots and found a pretty big stash for a pretty low price.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +989
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 04:38:12 PM »
+1
Instant "best of"  :D
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2019, 06:44:48 PM »

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2019, 07:29:34 PM »
A better question would have been "what isn't in DKS's toolbox?"

I ask for a left-handed 3/16th micron widget with a wanginstine adapeter and he responds "do you want one with a red handle or a blue handle".

Or if I need a couple tiny screws, he'll have some, but in like seven different finishes.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2019, 08:26:17 PM »
Looking at what DKS wrote, I'm pretty much a hoarder of materials, LEDs, and tools too.  And probably couple hundreds of various paint bottles and sprays. No such thing as too many of any of them.  :)
. . . 42 . . .

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2019, 08:33:07 PM »
Yeah, I've got probably got nearly all that stuff, but no Micro-Mark table saw, however.  :D
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2019, 10:49:10 AM »
And now... the entire Railwire sets up eBay alerts for "plastruct lot", lol.