Author Topic: VanRail 2019  (Read 4390 times)

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3087
Re: VanRail 2019
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2019, 12:09:24 AM »
Most of the VanRail attendees are HO scalers and in my experience you can divide them into 3 groups:
1. those that will not operate on a scale smaller than HO
2. those who are scale agnostic and are happy to operate on N Scale
3. the skeptics who don't believe n scale is for ops but are coaxed to try it by their friends and are happily converted

After many years of VanRail the first group is getting smaller but they still exist :(.  However I would now put Jim and his traveling partners Ted Pamperin and John Rogers in group 3!

md

I agree with your groupings as I've seen the same participating in a LHS layout tour.  I know everyone has their taste/favorites but I can't stand overhearing people say things like " I'm not going to so and so, it's X scale"  No matter the scale, you can learn different techniques, manufacturers, meet new people etc etc.  I've had quite a few from group 3 as well, though maybe not converted but swayed their opinions on what can be done and is available in N scale.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4595
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2019, 12:36:56 AM »
Yes, what fun! Seriously, how did our larger scale friends adopt and enjoy themselves with our little trains?
Otto K.

My friend (who has a very fastidiously constructed N scale layout) participates in RailRun (annual event where a bunch of home layouts are opened for a weekend of operations).  Most of the RailRun layouts, and most of the event attendees are serious H0 scale operators, and it is funny how many of them, after operating his N scale layout, mention just how surprised they were with how smooth and problem-free that N scale layout is.
. . . 42 . . .

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +1295
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2019, 01:04:10 AM »
and it is funny how many of them, after operating his N scale layout, mention just how surprised they were with how smooth and problem-free that N scale layout is.

I recently had a friend (who has a fantastic HO layout) come OP on my layout.
The first words out of his mouth once we finished was; "It's been 10 years since I've played on an N scale layout and I am amazed at how well things operated and how smoothly the trains ran!"
Followed by "If and when the time comes that I have to sell the house and downsize, I will have no fears of switching to N so I can still have a layout"

Joe is not an HO snob, as he jumped at the chance to OP a different layout even knowing it was N.  He did confess to me later that he wasn't sure what to expect. 

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2019, 01:34:16 AM »
My three guests were all HO Scale modellers and I didn't hear any scale related comments all evening; they adapted very well.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

boisecity

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2019, 02:03:03 AM »
I am very fortunate to be a member of a small group of very good modellers who model different scales.  We regularly operate on each other's layouts which include N, HO, HOn3 and Sn3.  There has never been any complaints about different scales.
JohnF

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2019, 01:01:59 PM »
  However I would now put Jim and his traveling partners Ted Pamperin and John Rogers in group 3!

Jim's amazing that he does this at 80+ years. A month or so prior, he made the circuit for the event that ran from Omaha through KC and ended in Tulsa.

jpec

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Perception and reality engage in a daily civil war
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2019, 01:25:18 PM »
Love those snow scene shots...they make you feel cold...
"trees are non-judgmental, and they won't abuse or betray you."- DKS

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +1279
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2019, 04:11:30 PM »
Jim's amazing that he does this at 80+ years. A month or so prior, he made the circuit for the event that ran from Omaha through KC and ended in Tulsa.

I agree.  If I am not miss-remembering he mentioned he operates 2-3x per month and it takes him 18 hours to restage!  Now that is dedication (or a full time job!)

md
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

mark dance

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2019, 04:26:17 PM »
My three guests were all HO Scale modellers and I didn't hear any scale related comments all evening; they adapted very well.

Tim

All but one of the regular C&W operators are HO modellers.  They keep coming back so I agree with Tim they adapt fine. 

The main area they seem to have difficulty with is derailing cars during uncoupling due to their light weight in N scale.  Even this tendency is largely offset by the N scale Microtrains couplers seemingly being easier to couple and uncouple than the HO ones.

Roof riding car tags also help because the ops don't need to read the smaller car numbers (or pick out a specific car in a yard where >60% of the fleet are brown CP 40' box cars sitting on tracks a scale 13' apart!)

md

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2019, 04:33:54 PM »
Car tags seem to work if you’re using boxcars with roofwalks. If not, using colored thumbtacks or colored pins would work, but not without drilling a hole in top of each car.

Small colored adhesive dots could be used also.

mark dance

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2019, 05:23:48 PM »
+1
Car tags seem to work if you’re using boxcars with roofwalks. If not, using colored thumbtacks or colored pins would work, but not without drilling a hole in top of each car.

Small colored adhesive dots could be used also.

We have been using tag waybills for 7 years (B4 that it was briefly coloured labels.) so that is about 50 op sessions.  For us the tag waybills "work" regardless if there are roof walks or not. 

Note: I don't want to start a debate on car forwarding systems of which the tags are just a component.  And for clarity my definition of work is both more utilitarian than cosmetic and compares the combined effort to restage and use a car forwarding system in a session compared to other systems.

md

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2019, 07:50:37 PM »
I was just wondering about the best type of car tag for those of us in the post-roofwalk era.

mark dance

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2019, 12:48:57 AM »
I was just wondering about the best type of car tag for those of us in the post-roofwalk era.

Well the channels do ride on tank car bodies and walkway-less roofs ok normally coming dislodged only if the car is tipped but, yes, the tags are not as secure as when slipped over walkways. Perhaps adding two thin strips of double-sided photo tape along the edges of the inverted channels would increase "stickiness" further?  I haven't tried this specifically but I have done something similar for the tags dedicated to chip gon service where the tags ride on the lip of the tall gon walls.             

I think Allen ( @Bendtracker1 ) may have some ideas as well.

md

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +1295
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2019, 01:05:35 AM »
+1

I think Allen ( @Bendtracker1 ) may have some ideas as well.

md

Funny you should mention me Mark?
I was just doing a little research on this from my last session a few weeks ago.  I'm working on an idea that should work????
But haven't had a chance to get my hands dirty yet.  I'll try to report back when my supplies get in next week.

I did try this with mixed results, I cut some strips of clear plastic from those MTL cover sheets that come in their jewel cases.

This works, but it's a little tricky getting them ON the strip.
A friend tried swiping a very thin bead of rubber cement to the bottom edges of the Channels and let them dry.
This did work for a while until they got dirty or dusty.

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2019, 10:30:04 AM »
Use a smidgeon of blue Fun Tack or equivalent.  They maintain their tack for a while.  A pack will last you forever the way we use it for N-scale.