Author Topic: N scale farm windmill  (Read 3134 times)

cjp53

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
N scale farm windmill
« on: September 08, 2019, 10:49:44 PM »
I'm scratch building a 50 foot tall windmill for my farm layout,I have the base done but am stumped on how to make the fan.Anyone make one and how did you make the fan?Is there a fan kit you can get?A brass one would look great on top of my wooden base.

Tom L

• Crew
  • Respect: +495
Re: N scale farm windmill
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 12:07:54 AM »
N Scale Architect makes one

https://thenarch.com/products/wind-mill-water-pump-–-etched-brass-kit-n

If the link doesn't work, go to their site and look under etched brass kits, n scale, page 4

$22

Tom L
Wellington CO
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 12:11:32 AM by Tom L »

cjp53

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 07:26:35 AM »
Thank you,I have seen that site looking for a Amish buggy but did not mark the site.Thank you again!

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +993
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 09:05:46 AM »
Woodland Scenics also offers one (assembled and decorated), but its is an older wooden prototype and considerably less delicate in appearance.  You can even get it pre-broken-down. 

https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/item/BR4937
https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/item/BR4936
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 04:29:12 PM »
I have etched a windmill turbine out of brass about 30 years ago for a fellow NTRAK member. That was long before the brass kits became available.  I made some extras, but I have no idea where I stashed them.  :facepalm:
. . . 42 . . .

cjp53

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 08:56:21 PM »
Let me know if you find them,lol Thanks though for your response.

cjp53

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 09:04:27 PM »
Woodland Scenics also offers one (assembled and decorated), but its is an older wooden prototype and considerably less delicate in appearance.  You can even get it pre-broken-down. 

https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/item/BR4937
https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/item/BR4936
I have the the BR4937 with my horse feeder barn,I scratched built a barn that is on the other end of my layout that's taller.That's why I decided to make a windmill that was taller.I made one for my HO layout but it's easier to build in that scale because of the bigger size but that was in the 90'sand I was much younger than my 66 years now.lol

Tom L

• Crew
  • Respect: +495
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 11:05:29 PM »
Thank you,I have seen that site looking for a Amish buggy but did not mark the site.Thank you again!

Yeah, I haven't been to their site in a while, they have some nice stuff I hadn't seen before. Going to have send some $ their way!

Tom L
Wellington CO

cjp53

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 06:47:03 AM »
N Scale Architect makes one

https://thenarch.com/products/wind-mill-water-pump-–-etched-brass-kit-n

If the link doesn't work, go to their site and look under etched brass kits, n scale, page 4

$22

Tom L
Wellington CO
I contacted them and he had a kit that had a  damaged frame and they are sending me the fan and tail.Hoping it comes today.Do you know where they are located?I'm going to order a few more kits in the future.They have a Amish buggy that I want as my layout is that of Ohio Amish farmland.Thank you for the great suggestion!

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 07:09:21 AM »
Do you know where they are located?

Russ has moved around several times but I believe he is in Hackettstown New Jersey now.

He's a great guy, I've known him for years. The only time I get to see him now is
when he does the show in Springfield Mass with the Amherst Railway Society. The show
this year is Jan. 25/26 2020.

Jon

cjp53

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 09:02:02 AM »
Thank you

Santa Fe Guy

• Crew
  • Respect: +359
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2019, 01:44:12 AM »
  Try spiritdesign.com.au
A friend makes all sorts of items for Australian N Scale and has a Southern Cross etched windmill. I assembled one for my now fallen flag SFRSD N Scale layout. It is A$25.00 so with the $US exchange rate it will be cheaper for you to purchase.
It is a great kit.
Apologies if I have the web page slightly incorrect as I am unable to copy and paste with Firefox. #@#$#
Rod.
Santafesd40.blogspot.com

cjp53

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2019, 09:41:02 AM »
  Try spiritdesign.com.au
A friend makes all sorts of items for Australian N Scale and has a Southern Cross etched windmill. I assembled one for my now fallen flag SFRSD N Scale layout. It is A$25.00 so with the $US exchange rate it will be cheaper for you to purchase.
It is a great kit.
Apologies if I have the web page slightly incorrect as I am unable to copy and paste with Firefox. #@#$#
Rod.
I scratched built the windmill except the fan and tail.Thanks for the site but I'm not a fan of over sea purchasing .The cost of shipping is included in the price of the kit with N scale Architect.

cjp53

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2019, 08:37:48 AM »

Russ has moved around several times but I believe he is in Hackettstown New Jersey now.

He's a great guy, I've known him for years. The only time I get to see him now is
when he does the show in Springfield Mass with the Amherst Railway Society. The show
this year is Jan. 25/26 2020.

Jon

He had a fan and tail from a damaged kit.I only had to pay shipping to get it but it had no instructions.I figured some of it out from the pictures on his site but there are are few things I can't figure out.I sent him a message about instructions on assembly but he has not returned any response.Have you built his kits and what kind of instructions came with them?They look to be very nice with great detail but I'm surprised he did not send and instructions.I'm hoping he returns my request with some help.I did see a few kits I would like.

fixed quote tag - gfh
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 09:52:30 AM by GaryHinshaw »

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2019, 11:30:00 AM »
I do have the instructions and took a couple pics for you that I can send to you if you like.
Jon

edit: Actually I have a second kit and can send you the directions if you PM me an address.
Jon

« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 11:52:48 AM by central.vermont »