Author Topic: The Milwaukee Road in Chillicothe, MO  (Read 353 times)

milw12

• Crew
  • Respect: +166
The Milwaukee Road in Chillicothe, MO
« on: September 08, 2019, 11:02:24 AM »
+2
As seen in a recent weekend thread, my newest flavor of the week is the Milwaukee Road in Chillicothe, Missouri, during the early-mid seventies. After the Weyerhouser module ran into some operational and modelling walls, I was looking into a new prototype project. Chillicothe hit all the right check marks, and other than hometown Twin Cities railroading, the Milwaukee in Missouri is a close second.

Here's a rough, not to scale sketch of the Milwaukee passing through Chilllicothe, with best guesses as to the industries:

And this is the stylized Chillicothe (read: "selectively compressed") to fit my 12"x75" shelf, plus 4' cassette:

As an aside, I attempted to keep the industries colors similar between the two images for clarity into the thought process.

I dropped the top-most (east-most track) and shuffled some of the industries onto the remaining track, and added a crossover for better run-around moves. I imagine it's somewhere on the mile-long passing track, but I needed it a little closer to home ;)

In reality the lumberyard took up all of the inner industry track but did not fully utilize it, so it was easy enough to condense and add select industries from the other track. Traffic appears to be pretty light anyway, so it's an easy fix. I'm keeping the same order and orientation of the industries, so operations will be as close to reality as possible given my considerations. I figured off some rough measurements that my module is at 70% compression, but should capture the essence of the town. Naturally Chillicothe (and railroading in general) will be more prosperous on the layout than the reality of the seventies to keep operations busy, the grain elevator being rail served still, etc. These are the compromises I can make and still sleep at night.

A '76 industry list, with the Milwaukee highlighted for a start. The BN [CBQ] and NW [Wabash] ran on the other side of town, the Milwaukee skirted around to the east.

I need an older list, because a few obvious industries are missing. That's definitely a grain elevator but it's not listed, among others. Best guess is that they are truck served by my time frame. And plenty seem like  they'd be served by a team track/laydown yard.

As of Labor Day weekend, this was the current progress, as posted in that weekend thread:

As seen, the layout is wired for DCC, using an NCE Power Pro with an always awesome Protothrottle. Tam Valley frog juicers are wired to all frogs, and I included a programming track near the freight house.

Over the past week, I mounted the cassette:

Which allowed for the first op session, switching the lumber yard and team track:

It's good to jfrt  :)

Lucas

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +1041
Re: The Milwaukee Road in Chillicothe, MO
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 11:48:03 AM »
It never dawned on me that "the other RR" in Chillicothe was originally the Milwaukee. Last time we were there we had lunch at "Wabash BBQ" which appears to be in the old Milwaukee depot.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

Bryn

• Crew
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 01:51:26 PM »
Lucas,

Looking forward to seeing this layout progress!

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +28
    • Unnamed Switching Layout
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 02:04:07 PM »
Very cool project; the Missouri North Central in town was one of the little Missouri shortlines (the other being the one in Mexico, MO, whose name I cannot recall) that really got me started onto how cool modern shortlines could be. I like the trackplan and execution you have going and can’t wait to see more!
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018