Author Topic: DC motor data  (Read 1005 times)

woodone

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
DC motor data
« on: September 13, 2019, 09:06:46 PM »
Was wondering if anyone had saved the motor information that Motorman posted on his E BAY motor sale pages.
Never thought to save the data .

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: DC motor data
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 09:55:26 PM »
His eBay listings had a hodge-podge of info crammed in them (with some info about the actual item sold tin the listing hidden somewhere in the text).   :| No, I didn't save any.

He usually included printed data sheet about the coreless motor he mailed to you.  If you are asking about the coreless motors, that info should be  available on the motor manufacturer's websites.
. . . 42 . . .

woodone

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 10:22:41 PM »
Yes there was a hodge/pod geo for info. I do have some info that he sent with motors I got from him, like you said.
I have looked on the mfg web pages, but some times the number on the motor does not show up?

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 10:27:39 PM »
Yes there was a hodge/pod geo for info. I do have some info that he sent with motors I got from him, like you said.
I have looked on the mfg web pages, but some times the number on the motor does not show up?

Which specs are you looking for?  Like torque curves or just general, voltage/current/no-load-rpms?

Maybe of the brand-name motors he sold were custom made and removed from equipment - they had "house" part numbers.  So yes, those will be hard to match to the standard motors specs.  But if you know the manufacturer's name, motor's dimensions, and the resistance between its terminals, you should be able to find a matching motor on the website.  But it will take some digging.
. . . 42 . . .

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1780
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 10:39:31 PM »
What Peteski said... with the exception of Faulhaber, the numbers on coreless cases like Maxon are proprietary numbers for industrial clients who bought a large lot of motors, and that motor you are holding in your hand is a surplus from that lot.

Get the size (i.e. 10mm diam, 24mm length), that will get you the right motor (in Maxon's case, usually an "RE10 24" for that
size).  The terminal resistance will get you the nominal max voltage because the data sheets usually list the terminal resistance
or the max current, which you can use to compute the resistance with V=IR.  It won't be exact, but it will be close enough to
narrow it down to only one motor. 

Another way to do it, if you have one of those handy optical RPM meters (they are on eBay
for $20 - $30), measure the RPM at 3v and then look at the data sheet for the motor.  You can pretty easily see what voltage motor you have.  If the max RPM is listed as 12,000, and at 3v you are only at 5,000, then increase to 6v and check the RPM again.  As above with voltage and resistance, you can quickly narrow down what motor you have.

I've done it both ways.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 08:54:45 AM »
The Motorman's site is still up but de-contented.

http://www.micro-loco-motion.com

It is at least partially archived on the internet archive. https://archive.org/index.php

Mark