Author Topic: Atlas Bridge Track?  (Read 2391 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5403
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Atlas Bridge Track?
« on: September 08, 2019, 08:22:09 PM »
+2
http://shop.atlasrr.com/c-660-n150.aspx

I ordered a copy of the above bridge, and enjoyed putting it together in a matter of about 15 minutes.  I'm impressed with the simplicity of the model, even if it pales in comparison to Central Valley and BLMA examples, but it's still a welcome addition to the N scale lexicon.

One element that I found most interesting is the sectional bridge track that comes with the kit.  It is separate from the bridge structure, and installs with small metal screws secured unseen from below.  This is done so the kit can be offered in code 80 or code 55 varieties.

Sadly, a quick scan of the Atlas on-line catalog reveals that this is not available as a separate part.  I like the look of it, and would like to use it to improve the looks of the bridges on my new project layout (on which I'm using c80 track to account for my retro fleet, and to use up track that I have had in stock for some time now... )

@Atlas Paul , any chance we'll see more of this stuff to help retrofit your older bridge models, perhaps even a flex offering?

Lee
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 09:56:51 PM by GaryHinshaw »
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

babbo_enzo

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
    • Experience IT!
Re: Atlas Bridge Track?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 08:52:34 AM »
+1

This is done so the kit can be offered in code 80 or code 55 varieties.
Atlas Paul, any chance we'll see more of this stuff to help retrofit your older bridge models?
Yes please... I'm interested in C55... !!

diezmon

• Crew
  • Do they speak English in "What"?
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 09:26:46 AM »
Another option than ME bridge track would be great.  Sectional would help when ordering too.  Not that there's anything wrong with ME track,  but local shops never carry it, and the extra shipping to buy one section is a bummer.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1254
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 08:37:10 PM »
+2
Micro Engineering Code 70 Bridge Track is a very good alternative if you can find it with decent shipping cost.  Even at that, it IS available, whereas the Atlas kit part isn't.

ME Bridge Track comes with extra NS rails for the guard rails (C40 for C55 bridge track, C55 for C70 bridge track) and a bag of parts for bridge-mounted steel water barrels, vs the Atlas kit track section's plastic, cast-on guard rails. 

Code 70 mates up to Code 80 pretty easily.  I used ME Code 70 flex track on my first Ntrak modules, and other members' Atlas C80 connecting track sections worked just fine.

Photo (1) - Atlas Bridge Track on the left, Micro Engineering Bridge Track on the right, Code 55 at the Lincoln Highway Bridge at Echo - under construction:

Bridge track makes a huge difference in the appearance of N-scale bridges IMO.

I'd just bite the bullet and get a length or two of the ME C70 Bridge Track, which is what I use for bridge construction on my friend Nate's  ( @Nato ) layout with his Peco C80 flex.

Photo (2) - ME C70 Bridge Track on Kelly Canyon bridges on Nate Goodman's layout, combined with Peco C80 - under construction:

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 08:50:15 PM »
Micro Engineering Code 70 Bridge Track is a very good alternative if you can find it with decent shipping cost.  Even at that, it IS available, whereas the Atlas kit part isn't.

Most of the time ... there was a period of time a few years ago where it was hard to find (unavailable).

I would love to see Atlas offer theirs as well.

Mark

robert3985

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 09:29:58 PM »
Most of the time ... there was a period of time a few years ago where it was hard to find (unavailable).

I would love to see Atlas offer theirs as well.

Mark

Today is today, and ME Bridge Track is certainly available today.  I'd like to see Atlas offer theirs too, but with their cast-on plastic guardrails and guard timbers on the ends of the ties, it would have to be highly modified to be made flexible, but even the short, straight kit parts offered separately would be welcome, because they are a very nicely detailed part as you can see in the first photo in my post.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5403
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 10:42:02 AM »
While we're on the subject of bridge parts, it wouldn't kill anyone if one of the sprues included Bridge feet.

I am very familiar with Micro Engineering Bridge track. I have a couple of lengths of their code 55 track left over from the old layout. I'm going to have to hunt down a piece of the code 70 or come up with another solution to make my bridges look their best, as they are at the front edge of the layout.
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

robert3985

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 11:33:07 AM »
Here ya go. ME unweathered N-scale Code 70 Bridge Track.  Easy to find since I googled it yesterday....

https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/micro-engineering-n-11-110-code-70-non-weathered-bridge-flex-track/

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

robert3985

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 11:48:27 AM »
As for "Bridge Feet"....otherwise called "Bridge Shoes"... Micro Engineering sells cast metal ones separately and also includes them in their bridge kits.

HOWEVER Keystone Details sells the nicest ones I've seen here: https://www.shapeways.com/product/WDWFRM4EP/n-scale-bridge-shoes-20-pk?li=shop-results&optionId=59670185  from a suggestion made by our own Ed Kapuscinski.

You can see Ed's review of the Keystone Details Bridge Shoes here: http://conrail1285.com/keystone-details-bridge-shoes/

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +714
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 12:16:39 PM »
Here ya go. ME unweathered N-scale Code 70 Bridge Track.  Easy to find since I googled it yesterday....
https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/micro-engineering-n-11-110-code-70-non-weathered-bridge-flex-track/
Stock level = 1, so don't delay.

robert3985

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 12:27:15 PM »
Stock level = 1, so don't delay.

https://trainlife.com/products/n-scale-bridge-track-code-70

Stock level = 8, so not exactly rare or hard to find

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

diezmon

• Crew
  • Do they speak English in "What"?
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 12:57:12 PM »
Looks like N Scale Supply also has stock. 

https://www.nscalesupply.com/MEE/MEE-Track.html

MetroRedLine

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
    • Union Pacific Vallealmar Subdivision (Facebook Page)
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 03:33:57 PM »
As for "Bridge Feet"....otherwise called "Bridge Shoes"... Micro Engineering sells cast metal ones separately and also includes them in their bridge kits.

I got ME bridge shoes for my layout but had to buy the HO scale version because the N scale ones look waaaaay too small.
Under the streets of Los Angeles