Author Topic: Conspicuity Stripes  (Read 1040 times)

High Hood

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
Conspicuity Stripes
« on: August 28, 2019, 02:04:02 PM »
Hey weathering pros I got a question for ya. How do you handle weathering cars with factory applied conspicuity stripes? Do you just weather over them along with the rest of the car? Or do you apply new ones after weathering? Or do you just prefer the factory leave off altogether so you won’t have to deal with them at all?

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
  • Respect: +362
Re: Conspicuity Stripes
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 05:58:14 PM »
"It depends"...

If factory applied, I either:
-Weather over them if the weathering job is light. (i.e. a relatively newly delivered car*)
-Mask them for the bulk of the weathering -OR-
-Remove them, weather, reapply*

*I model the "Conspicuity Stripe Transition Era" so I may or may not reapply.  Few cars would have extensive weathering over top of the stripes in my timeframe.  I've experimented with the actual reflective stripes that I think a couple of companies make and I think they are pretty cool...recognizing they are extra thick but not caring too much.

I would prefer mfgs leave them off unless it is a car that was manufactured at a time where they were required and/or delivered that way.  One other exception would be if the car also had extensive modern graffiti that was indicative of a later timeframe where the stripes were required.

EDIT: Just noticed you asked for a weathering "pro".   My bad.  I'm just an amateur.   :scared: :trollface: 8)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 06:05:36 PM by Rivet Miscounter »
Doug