Author Topic: N Scale of Nevada lumber loads?  (Read 3443 times)

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +416
N Scale of Nevada lumber loads?
« on: September 04, 2019, 07:44:44 PM »
So in the course of some web search I stumbled upon this...

https://brooklynlocomotiveworks.com/nsn-lumber-loads.htm

And at least in those pictures I think they look pretty awesome.  I'm well aware that NSN is defunct and that Wiseman Model Services got what was left of the tooling, but Wiseman says he never got anything on these.  (I contacted him.)  So:

Anybody have these and have comments?  More to the point, anybody want to sell them or make copies available? 

I'm particularly interested in the Superior Lumber version, followed by the unwrapped stack.  EDIT:  Also Bohemia.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 07:49:59 PM by jagged ben »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: N Scale of Nevada lumber loads?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 08:36:04 PM »
Back in the day I assembled few.  IIRC, they were just wood blocks with some paper wrapping, and black thread for straps.  They looked ok. Mine are still mounted on a centerbeam flat (which I have stashed away somewhere).

Nowadays, it would be easy to get those blocks 3D printed, and then print your own paper wrappers.  Company logos are on the Internet.
. . . 42 . . .

jagged ben

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 11:54:25 PM »
I don't think think that company logos copied into a pattern look very realistic.  Real loads have a lot more texture and variation to the wrapper.  (Not to mention loads that don't have wrappers.)   These appear to be done from photos which I think comes out better.

I've started trying to make some from proto photos, and I'm making some headway, but I don't have good photos for all the ones I'm interested in and I thought these looked good.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 12:04:08 AM »
I don't think think that company logos copied into a pattern look very realistic.  Real loads have a lot more texture and variation to the wrapper.  (Not to mention loads that don't have wrappers.)   These appear to be done from photos which I think comes out better.

I've started trying to make some from proto photos, and I'm making some headway, but I don't have good photos for all the ones I'm interested in and I thought these looked good.

I agree, but the old NSN wrappers (which you asked about) were just plain white paper with logos.  Yours will be more realistic.
. . . 42 . . .

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 01:17:06 AM »
Back in the day I assembled few.  IIRC, they were just wood blocks with some paper wrapping, and black thread for straps.  They looked ok. Mine are still mounted on a centerbeam flat (which I have stashed away somewhere).

The original ones were a wrapper for a timber block and for the MTL bulkheads.

The later series, which had more companies, included styrene cut to shape for you to assemble and then wrap. They also included a little metal weight. These were for the MTL centerbeams.

I asked about these loads and the sugar beet loads, the body mount adapters, and decal overlays etc when the tooling etc was sold off but no-one seemed to know what happened to them all. I still have a few kits somewhere @jagged ben so I'll see what I can find. These days though you used to be able to get the same thing from Columbus Trainmaster.
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 01:51:09 AM »
The NSN loads I have were photos of actual loads, designed to be cut out and wrapped around a wooden core.  All of the banding, between-layer dunnage, everything, was part of the photos.  The only other pieces were stripwood for under the bottom layer and between the two sides of the load.   If used on a centerbeam car, the stripwood in the center wasn't needed.

Somebody in Canada (CS Models?) made wrapped lumber loads that were made the same way as the prototype.  Individual wooden blocks, each wrapped with its own wrapper, then stacked into a load.  They were hard to keep neat while stacking, but allowed more variation than the NSN loads.

N Kalanaga
Be well

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 02:29:12 AM »
The NSN loads I have were photos of actual loads, designed to be cut out and wrapped around a wooden core.  All of the banding, between-layer dunnage, everything, was part of the photos.  The only other pieces were stripwood for under the bottom layer and between the two sides of the load.   If used on a centerbeam car, the stripwood in the center wasn't needed.

Somebody in Canada (CS Models?) made wrapped lumber loads that were made the same way as the prototype.  Individual wooden blocks, each wrapped with its own wrapper, then stacked into a load.  They were hard to keep neat while stacking, but allowed more variation than the NSN loads.

Now I'm wondering if my loads were from CS models (or whatever the name was).  I made them over quarter century ago!  :)
. . . 42 . . .

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 12:28:42 PM »
Nowadays, it would be easy to get those blocks 3D printed, and then print your own paper wrappers.  Company logos are on the Internet.

If you have access to a bandsaw, the blocks are pretty simple to cut. 3-d printing a featureless plain box seems like overkill for that technology.

I've done a whole bunch of different lumber loads this way (in HO) making my own paper wrappers which I detail here, and provide a lot of the graphics I've played with. Most of the files are in HO, but most of them could be converted to other scales.

http://vanderheide.ca/blog/lumber-loads/

Feel free to use any of these, and convert to other scales if desired. If there are any popular ones, I may do some N scale versions and upload them.

jagged ben

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 12:12:48 AM »
If you have access to a bandsaw, the blocks are pretty simple to cut. 3-d printing a featureless plain box seems like overkill for that technology.

I've done a whole bunch of different lumber loads this way (in HO) making my own paper wrappers which I detail here, and provide a lot of the graphics I've played with. Most of the files are in HO, but most of them could be converted to other scales.

Feel free to use any of these, and convert to other scales if desired. If there are any popular ones, I may do some N scale versions and upload them.

Thanks!  I think I'd seen your page before but never bookmarked it.

There's a couple things I'm thinking regarding the N scale of Nevada loads.  In N scale it's a lot harder to do that banding to scale and I wonder if it works better to just print it it on larger blocks.  The NSN seem to be printed photographs.   I guess part of what I'm looking for here is feedback on those who may still have or have seen those loads, if they look as good in person.

Second, I didn't start this thread so much to get into the nitty gritty of method.  I'm really after the source images of the products on that BLW page, or suitable substitutes, including the stamps on the unwrapped lumber.   Particularly the Simpson and Bohemia.  (I did notice you have the mid-eighties Weyerhauser scheme.  One down!)  The middle of my modeling era is 1990.  If anyone has any link suggestions for good side-on prototype photographs of lumber loads from that era, that would be great.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 12:14:33 AM by jagged ben »

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 07:27:23 AM »
I guess part of what I'm looking for here is feedback on those who may still have or have seen those loads, if they look as good in person.

I still think they look good @jagged ben ... and they probably look better in person:

The original:

The kits:

I think I've got more of the kits in storage somewhere - I'm sure I've got more Sierra. The paper and printing technology definitely changed between the releases.

James Costello
Espee into the 90's

jagged ben

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2019, 10:56:59 AM »
James, you're the man!  All of those items in your pictures are totally the brands I'm looking for.  I didn't even know he did Sierra Pacific but that's totally up my alley as well.  (And I actually meant to say Superior, not Simpson, in the previous post, but Simpson is good too.)

Let me know if you're interested in selling those kits and/or scanning the product to make it available for others to print.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2019, 02:56:43 PM »
Doesn't someone out there have a PDF of lumber car loads that can be printed and cut to suit?
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2019, 03:33:23 PM »
I have a few loads from John Haverstock, ie The Columbus Trainmaster on eBay.  I think they look good and he has dozens of companies/designs.  Only has a handful listed on the evil inlet site

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Other-N-Scale/486/m.html?item=401788705477&epid=1322913483&hash=item5d8c791ac5%3Ag%3A03UAAOSwgO9dB8f7&_ssn=columbustrainmaster

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +989
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2019, 05:49:07 PM »
Doesn't someone out there have a PDF of lumber car loads that can be printed and cut to suit?

The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2019, 07:16:21 PM »
Tony Hammes did an article in N Scale Railroading a few years back where he had loads that he used Excel to design and print