Author Topic: Published again...but this time not N scale PRR!  (Read 2990 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Published again...but this time not N scale PRR!
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2019, 11:12:01 PM »
Oh gosh, there's no need to be bothered.  No one expects anyone except @peteski to keep up with every thread...   :D

LOL, far from it Dave. There are also some TRW sections I seldom look into.
But since you mentioned me, congratulations!   :)
. . . 42 . . .

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 03:58:45 PM »
I think mine just showed up.

See ya guys in a while.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2019, 04:21:07 PM »
I think mine just showed up.

See ya guys in a while.

Really?  I ordered two in addition to the author's copy and I haven't seen a single one yet.

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2019, 02:09:37 PM »
+1
Got mine yesterday.  Pretty pleased with it.  I feel like the photos could have been bigger, but that's how those annuals are formatted.

This is now the fourth different periodical I've published in (the others being N Scale Magazine, MR's Great Model Railroads, and the N-Trak Steam Book).  While it's a satisfying ego-stroke to see your own work in print, there's another reason why everyone who's accomplished anything in the hobby should consider submitting a manuscript to something.  They need the content!

It's astonishingly easy to do this.  Even Kalmbach--known for its lofty standards--was easy to work with.  It helps if you're naturally a good writer, but even then, they'll work with you to get your ideas expressed in the most effective way possible. 

Most of us share and gather information for free on the Internet.  And while there's a lot of great stuff out there, you get what you pay for.  Not all of it is filtered, edited, fact-checked, or well-photographed.  Periodicals--whether print or online--add that level of professional filtering and finishing that really enhances the experience of the reader.

So...  If you've ever wanted to see your stuff in print or wondered "why doesn't such-and-such-a-magazine print an article about this thing that interests me?" then please consider writing it up and submitting to a journal of your choice.  Rarely will you be turned away.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 02:41:35 PM by Dave V »

Hawghead

• Crew
  • Respect: +323
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2019, 03:05:04 PM »
Got mine yesterday.  Pretty pleased with it.  I feel like the photos could have been bigger, but that's how those annuals are formatted.

This is now the fourth different periodical I've published in (the others being N Scale Magazine, MR's Great Model Railroads, and the N-Trak Steam Book).  While it's a satisfying ego-stroke to see your own work in print, there's another reason why everyone who's accomplished anything in the hobby should consider submitting a manuscript to something.  They need the content!

It's astonishingly easy to do this.  Even Kalmbach--known for its lofty standards--was easy to work with.  It helps if you're naturally a good writer, but even then, they'll work with you to get your ideas expressed in the most effective way possible. 

Most of us share and gather information for free on the Internet.  And while there's a lot of great stuff out there, you get what you pay for.  Not all of it is filtered, edited, fact-checked, or well-photographed.  Periodicals--whether print or online--add that level of professional filtering and finishing that really enhances the experience of the reader.

So...  If you've ever wanted to see your stuff in print or wondered "why doesn't such-and-such-a-magazine print an article about this thing that interests me?" then please consider writing it up and submitting to a journal of your choice.  Rarely will you be turned away.

Dave,

It seems to me, based on what you've said, that you basically wrote the article and did all of the photography is that correct?  If so I think that is what dissuades most people from submitting material to be published, I know it would for me.  I'd have to say that the biggest hurdle would be the photography.  I'd think most people don't have a camera that would take the quality photos needed for publishing let alone all the lighting or the necessary photography skills.

On a semi-related topic, are you a NMRA master modeler?  When I first heard about the program and looked into the requirements, it seemed that the requirement to be published would be one of the most challenging to accomplish.

Scott 
There's a prototype for everything.
If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.
DCC is not plug-n-play.

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2019, 04:31:25 PM »
+1
Yes, with the exception of GMR (they send a staff photographer), I do both the copy and the photos. I mean someone has to, right? And remember, these aren’t peer-reviewed scientific journals...  You won’t have to cross your fingers and hope the best outcome is “accept with major revisions” only to have your a$$ handed to you by someone whose very paper you’re refuting, LOL.  No, this is a much friendlier, more supportive experience.  Really, writing the article doesn’t take much more time than posting a dozen posts on the Railwire.  I understand photography can be a challenge, but for what it’s worth, I can take better pictures with my current iPhone that I did with a digital camera for my first article.

I am not an MMR.  I’ve looked over the requirements and I probably meet them, but I’ve just been too lazy or busy modeling.  Putting together the package is a lot harder than putting together an article for a magazine! Something to consider.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 04:56:12 PM by Dave V »