Author Topic: Weekend Update 9/1/19  (Read 9662 times)

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1720
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/19
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2019, 07:27:52 PM »
+18
Thanks for the kind words guys, much appreciated. Ed, that backdrop is "Just Corn III" from trainjunkies. Since my layout is 360 degrees, I don't have any permanently mounted backdrops, so that one stands on tripod legs and just kind of fills in wherever and whenever needed. I think people are probably getting a little sick of seeing it at this point  :)

-Mark

« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 07:29:37 PM by spookshow »

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2019, 07:54:33 PM »
+14
I've managed to get back to the workbench a bit over the last few months and I've got a bunch of weathering projects underway. I've moved a heap of cars through the Railwire  :ashat: exclusive Fading Fast process and it's time to start the grime, rust and details. I've had my eye on this project for some time and as such this Atlas BX-177 jumped the queue. This is a work in progress grab of an 1993 era ATSF red car, to fill out a train of boring 90s era brown repaints of BX-166s and BX-177s that won't get much done to them. I've got 2 of these to do, so this is the first of 4 sides.

These are the two proto photos for inspiration:
https://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=46828 
https://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=68324

Fairly happy with progress - a few panels to adjust and maybe some more colour highlights. I think I'll wind back the rust a bit and tweak the grime colour on car #2.

Pretty happy with the pink transformation from the fade too, considering how red they start at:
https://shop.atlasrr.com/p-51481-n-bx-177-box-car-santa-fe-original-paint-622000.aspx

This is a modified @GaryHinshaw  brew - Microscale flat, M Graham white and thinned, no yellow or orange pigment.

James Costello
Espee into the 90's

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2019, 08:44:12 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys, much appreciated. Ed, that backdrop is "Just Corn III" from trainjunkies. Since my layout is 360 degrees, I don't have any permanently mounted backdrops, so that one stands on tripod legs and just kind of fills in wherever and whenever needed. I think people are probably getting a little sick of seeing it at this point  :)

-Mark

Very cool scene!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2019, 11:37:49 PM »
Awesome weathering on that boxcar!! :o :o :o

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1935
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2019, 04:44:54 AM »
Did you draw and print this yourself?

The artwork is by Baldylox (I wish I had half his talent). I just printed it, now I get to prep, detail, and paint it.
M
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

Faire to Midland

• Respect: +1
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2019, 12:24:29 PM »

-Mark

Is that a JNJ shell on the lead unit? 

Too bad those are gone now, since they took the 168 to Antonito Colorado Springs hasn't had a loco on display.  Since those weirdos were built just for the Colorado Springs run, it seems appropriate one should have found its final resting place in Colorado Springs.

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2019, 12:52:52 PM »
The artwork is by Baldylox (I wish I had half his talent). I just printed it, now I get to prep, detail, and paint it.
M

It’s a nice looking model. I love 3d printing. 

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2019, 01:37:56 PM »
+2
I’m just about done with the first warehouse for my North London layout. Only 7 more to go! More details in the layout thread: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=43020.0

spookshow

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2019, 01:38:54 PM »
+1
Is that a JNJ shell on the lead unit?

Actually, it's a BLI E7B with a lot of elective surgery. Although it's doubtful that any of them ever made a run through Minny, I just thought it was too cool looking of a prototype not to have one.

-Mark

milw12

• Crew
  • Respect: +319
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2019, 05:52:25 PM »
+10
Finished wiring, 5 1/2 hours of work, not including soldering feeders, which was done before track was laid:

What the muss and fuss is for:

A slightly stylized version of the Milwaukee Road in Chillicothe, Missouri in the early-mid seventies. Second Quarter 2009 Milwaukee Railroader has some great images and aerials from '65-'81. Dropped a balloon track, shuffled some industries onto the remaining track, and added a crossover onto the module for a better run-around, but the priority is keeping operations and the general appearance of the town remain intact. Given the resources on hand the length of the industrial track is about 70% scale, and the white styrene rectangles are footprints for the buildings.

The general track plan, 12"x75", with a cassette to the left, which would be north, of the image:

And a quick picture from the last layout, I was pleased with the scenery and have some ideas for improvement, so I'm looking forward to the tackling it on this one:

Thanks for looking,
Lucas

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2019, 07:41:28 PM »
+4
I have finally started the wooden curved (and skewed!) trestle on my layout, which is necessary to reach a future small staging yard:

More on the Seaboard Central 3.0 thread in the Layout Engineering Forum.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

rochsub

• Crew
  • Respect: +253
    • The N Scale UPRR Geneva Subdivision
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2019, 07:49:20 PM »
+9
Progress on Global 3 in Rochelle on the UPRR Geneva Sub.

Engine Facilities

Yard Entrance/Exit Area.

jpf94

• Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2019, 08:44:18 PM »

VERY NICE!   Been past that facility many times, wish it still had rail.

Joe

My big summer project has been a model of Cargill's animal nutrition products facility in New Richland, MN. Not quite finished, but pretty close -

Prototype -

-Mark

spookshow

• Crew
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2019, 09:40:11 PM »
Been past that facility many times, wish it still had rail.

I know, right? My plan is to model the "overgrown with weeds" siding track, but I won't actually be connecting it to the mainline.

I really have no idea how rail-served industries deal with no longer being rail served, but it must be a bit of a bitch. There's a scrapyard just up  the road that got cut off as well  :|

-Mark
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 09:41:53 PM by spookshow »

Brian M

• Crew
  • Respect: +258
    • Hudson Valley Lines
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2019, 12:15:57 AM »
+4
Another weekend of good stuff all around....

I haven't posted any updates in a while, as I've been not doing a good job of taking pictures of things as I work on them.  And I've also had a very busy summer with work, so I haven't gotten down to the layout as much as I would like.  But work stuff has calmed down a little, so that means I haven't been totally spent during the week after working all day.  And I've had more free time on the weekends, so I recently had my work crew over, and we were able to build up the section of layout (along with the benchwork to support it) that will turn into Spuyten Duyvil.  This weekend I glued the foam down, and started to get an idea of the track arrangement.  I'm quite excited to be making progress on this part of the New York Central, as it is a part of the railroad that has interested me for quite a while.

More on the Hudson Valley Lines build page:
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=43622.45

-Brian.