Author Topic: Rivet sizes - passenger cars  (Read 1118 times)

Simon D.

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
Rivet sizes - passenger cars
« on: August 29, 2019, 10:18:56 AM »
Can any one help me please?  I can't find any information on standard rivet head sizes used by Pullman etc. on heavyweights - would they be 5/8th or 7/8th inch?  The pitch seems to be mostly about 6 inches.

Thanks

Simon

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5404
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Rivet sizes - passenger cars
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 11:02:15 AM »
+1
Dammit.  I just started worrying about how many rivets there are... you mean now I have to worry about what size they are? :trollface:

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 11:34:09 AM »
Not in N-scale we don’t.  :D

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +714
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 12:18:27 PM »
Aren't you supposed to scrape off the molded-on rivets and replace them with Archer rivet decals?

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 01:03:02 PM »
+1
They used different sizes for different things.  My best advice would be to use the Archer rivet decals for Pullman cars- the research for those was done by Tom Madden and Larry King- who quite probably measured several real cars.  I am sure there are some drawings in one or another collection that would have the info, but could not find it in a quick look at the books I have handy.

When I was a kid, this sort of question was easy- all you would need to do was take a couple quick measurements of the rivets on the car you were riding to the suburbs.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

UP4-8-8-4

• Crew
  • Respect: +151
    • Present home layout and partial collection.
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 06:18:39 AM »
Archer cast resin rivet's are the best way to go.
For passenger cars as well as different sizes for steam engines and tenders.

4-8-8-4 Bigboy

4-6-6-4 Challenger

Simon D.

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 10:58:10 AM »
Many thanks all,

The ultimate rivet counter question I suppose.  Agree Archer rivets are the way to go, but I'm in the UK and exchange rates are going down the pan, so I was wondering about alternative sources.  On RMweb there has been mention of these: https://hgwmodels.cz/en/30-172-scale, which are supposed to be 0.15 mm in diameter, just under an N scale inch I think, and available in different pitches. 

Simon

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2035
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 12:05:36 PM »
I suppose... I do have to admit being 'busted' here about the size of the rivets on a caboose project I did (Trix ATSF steel caboose).

The RP-printed ATSF cab I got for the rebuild of the Jamco Junker was so badly striated from Shapeways it looked like wood paneling.   Overlaid it with .005 styrene and then put on Archer rivets, which looked great.... but in the final view of the painted locomotive you can barely see the rivets anyway, even though I did the paint in a lighter mix of engine black.   Just sayin, there's a point where the only thing you are proving in the end is a point to yourself.    Whether or not you can tell the size difference is another level above that.