Author Topic: T-trak module idea  (Read 1291 times)

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +473
T-trak module idea
« on: August 25, 2019, 08:38:05 PM »
After seeing @wm3798 posts about a N scale rolling lift bridge, it reminded me of the HO scale one I have. Hey, if you’re going to steal, steal from the best! It would need to be widened a 1/4” or so to accommodate two N scale tracks.

Assuming that there are no operational issues with the bridge, is this a good idea? I would put a keyed switch on it so that only one person could open the bridge. The recent T-trak show I participated in reminded me that the public likes to see trains move. But the automation would be cool! Maybe use the turbo train to re-enact the opening scene of the Blues Brothers?

Thoughts?
Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +561
Re: T-trak module idea
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 08:41:53 PM »
Well at least put a long section of track that goes dead on the non-pivoting side of the span when the span is up.  Or, better yet, have some pylons that that come up through the track on that side so that they would physically stop trains from going into the hole.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5399
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 09:59:12 PM »
My idea was to invest in the Kato switches that activate their crossing gates.  Set it up so the bridge is up in the natural position, and when a train hits the sensor, it drops into position.  Would probably need three doubles, maybe more, to pull it off.  But definitely a "dead zone" would be necessary.

If operators could be disciplined enough to approach the bridge at a lower speed, it could be a really cool feature to add to a set up.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1069
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 10:32:05 PM »
This guy local to me actually did this, even with the same kit I think.

http://nyandlb.com/construction_progress2.htm
-Al

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 03:08:37 PM »

one of Fay Chin's modules has three operating bascule bridges...he simply 3D printed girder parts to add on to a double track KATO bridge to turn it into a bascule bridge.
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +473
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 07:12:53 PM »
Hmmm. All interesting ideas. This will have to simmer for a while. Thank you everyone for the input.
Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun