Author Topic: Intermountain ATSF stock cars  (Read 1184 times)

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
Intermountain ATSF stock cars
« on: October 01, 2019, 05:51:46 PM »
This, from the Cajon io group, FYi.
Otto K. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
Re: Intermountain ATSF stock cars
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 07:06:52 PM »
Note those are the HO.  N Scale still say "taking reservations" (at least on my screen at this moment).

OK what I am about to say will make me sound grumpy- "disappointed" is probably more accurate description of how I feel, but it will come across as grumpy...

I would order some in N scale, except for 2 things-

1. I already have a baker's dozen IM ATSF stock in various paint/lettering schemes.  Which, for a passenger car modeler, seems a fair number.

2.  For reasons beyond my understanding, they have not offered the car in the lettering scheme used most with their F unit locomotives- which is to say, the scheme used between 1944 and 1958.  They do "A.T.S.F" used in late 30s until 1943 (granted, of course many lasted in that scheme well into the 50s), but do NOT do "ATSF" except with the scotchlite logos along the bottom edge- which ATSF began using in 1959.  So I end up having to remove those scotchlite reflectors.

I am not sure the date when ATSF changed over from K brakes to AB brakes on stock cars, but pretty sure it was well before 1958, as they were changing over boxcars in the late 30s.

And if they aren't going to make the stock cars with the lettering most appropriate to the F3/F7 era, they should make an ATSF steam loco to pull all the ones they do make that are appropriate to 1943 and earlier.

And they should probably paint some green- given that Atlas, MT, Bachmann, Lionel, Tyco and no doubt many others have done so in the past, I suspect more modelers think they are supposed to be green than think they are supposed to be mineral brown. 

Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

nscalbitz

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 06:57:16 PM »
Gee Tom,
It sounds like you're expecting modelling manufacturers fidelity to prototypes AGAIN!
What a thought! ... You know you have to buy what they decide. THis ain't a democratic hobby man...
 :facepalm: in jest,
dave

*PS- not that I'd be buying any of these as I'm happy with the variety fleet of 36'-40' foobs in glorious D&RGW weathered blacks and those pesky 'coloured' off roads that are needed to break up a good line of them now and again!

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 04:48:04 PM »
Gee Tom,
It sounds like you're expecting modelling manufacturers fidelity to prototypes AGAIN!
What a thought! ... You know you have to buy what they decide. THis ain't a democratic hobby man...
 :facepalm: in jest,
dave

*PS- not that I'd be buying any of these as I'm happy with the variety fleet of 36'-40' foobs in glorious D&RGW weathered blacks and those pesky 'coloured' off roads that are needed to break up a good line of them now and again!

I'm not really that much of a stickler- still the proud owner of a MT ATSF stock car in green.  So many produced by so many manufacturers, I had been a modeler for 20 years before I realized it was a fake scheme.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.