Author Topic: Decoder Pro and BLI Paragon 3 Rolling Thunder  (Read 555 times)

joelm

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
Decoder Pro and BLI Paragon 3 Rolling Thunder
« on: August 19, 2019, 04:44:30 PM »
Hi all:  I got a "great deal" on a Paragon 3 F-3A with Rolling Thunder. The sound is great (but too loud now) and it runs well (but too fast).  I want to speed match it to another F-3A (not Paragon).    However, when I tried to program it with Decoder Pro on a test track, only the address was programmable. The other "tabs" in the programming sheet were blank.  Can I use Decoder Pro? If so how, or do I have to do the CV's one at a time using Hexi-decimal Conversions?  Thanks. Joel

djconway

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
Re: Decoder Pro and BLI Paragon 3 Rolling Thunder
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 01:45:08 PM »
Joel,  I am using DecodersPro for all of my BLI locos.  Let Decoder Pro read the decoder type on a programming track, with programming mode set to Paged mode.  You may find you have to run the loco a few minutes to fully charge up any capacitors in the circuit.

joelm

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 03:47:16 PM »
Hi DJ: Thanks for the response.  Are you using a programming track on the layout or a separate workbench track? What interface are you using?

My attempts so far have been with my Sprog II on a separate workbench track, not on the layout programming track. 

Thanks.

djconway

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 11:20:11 PM »
Joel,  I have a Digitrax Super Chief connected to my PC via a PR3.  I have a test loop of track that has 3 DPDT switches that allow me to select DC, DCC, or DCC programming.

I'll have to try and draw picture of how it's connected if you think that would help.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2008
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 11:44:26 PM »
Hi DJ: Thanks for the response.  Are you using a programming track on the layout or a separate workbench track? What interface are you using?

My attempts so far have been with my Sprog II on a separate workbench track, not on the layout programming track. 

Thanks.

Programming track is programming track. Whether on the layout, or on the workbench, it is supposed to be fully separate and isolated from the DCC booster-powered track.
But if the on-layout programming track is hooked up to the DCC command station, and the workbench track is hooked up to Sprog II, that would make a difference. Sprog II might behave differently than the Command Station programming track.
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

joelm

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 03:08:03 PM »
Thanks, DJ for the offer of the drawing, but not necessary.  Since you are successfully programming with Decoder Pro with the Superchief and a PR-3, that's enough information for me to go on.  I have a PR-3 connected to the layout and the layout programming track, but I can rarely get it to work properly (always a Java malfunction) so I switched to the Sprog for hassle free bench-top programming and generally don't program using the layout programming track. I don't have sound decoders (this is my first) so using the Sprog hasn't been an issue. 

The layout uses a DCS 100 and DB 150, so there's plenty of power available to the programming track. Ok. I'll try that and see how it goes. 

Thanks. Joel

djconway

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 08:06:16 AM »
For the PR3 malfunction -- try downloading the firmware update from Digitrax.
With a new computer my old faithful PR3 stopped working, kept getting notable to connect messages.  Had to revive the old computer and run the update.
Now it works like a charm now.

joelm

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 03:15:15 PM »
Thanks, Guys.  Programmed it on the main this weekend. Just found out what to do for CV-29, AND went to the Digitrax PR3 page, which indicated that my PR3 problems may be related to using Windows 7 and recommended the download (as did djconway).   Will try this week. Great advice here! Joel