Author Topic: The Inyo & Furnace Creek RR next generation...  (Read 5476 times)

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
Re: The Inyo & Furnace Creek RR next generation...
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2019, 09:08:09 PM »
HOn3 is a beautiful scale to model, and the fact that you don’t typically need large locomotive rosters helps offset the per unit cost. But if you like scenery modeling, you can do more in n-scale in the same amount of space than in HO.

You can’t really go wrong with either choice. Good luck.

kurmujjin

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2019, 09:43:32 PM »
Ever do a needs analysis and find out it doesn't match your gut feeling?  Then it's back into the analysis to see why.  Bottom line on this one that after quick research and some tweaking, both the analysis and my gut are in sync.  And the winner is...    HOn30.  So now to figger out a track plan and what not.

I have XTrackCad.  It's a bit fussy with track connections.  And there's good ole paper and pencil.  Anything out there that's really easy to use and inexpensive besides XTrackCad?

kurmujjin

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2019, 01:23:51 AM »
OK, I am certifiably nuts...

I COULD stay in On30, and it would be smaller. 18" depth instead of 24".  And it wouldn't run continuously at first.  But I wouldn't need to sell the stuff I have, including the station that took a bunch of time to build.  I could use a pair of turntables on skinny modules to stage some trains and just futz around the station and a couple sidings. The turntable modules would be kept in the garage and attach easily.  And most of the time they would be absent.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I still work 40 hours a week.  And this is my office.  Computer and desk are on the wall opposite the layout.  What do you think?  Crazy? 

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2019, 11:34:52 AM »
Do you need the closet, or could you annex some of that space? Good place for a British style fiddle yard with turntable, plus it gives the train somewhere to go... all at the sacrifice of a couple of holes which are easily patched... plus a little curve in the corner of the garage.

I’d try hard to break up the track being parallel to the module edge look, but that’s one of my pet peeves.  :facepalm:

Maybe flip the track to the rear, with the structures in front. This lets the train disappear briefly behind the structures, maybe while on the sharpest part of the curve.

Just some thoughts.

O-scale buildings really take up a lot of room.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 11:44:24 AM by CRL »

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2019, 11:44:58 AM »
Talk to @Chris333 to get the scoop on the awesomeness available in HOn30.  It definitely has a high-level of kitbashing required to get started, but with Chris able to do some real railroading on 10" radius curves, it's much more practical than even HOn3, let alone On30 for your space.

That said, On30 just has a neatness factor that's hard to articulate with words.  Don't know if you're a Model Railroader Video Plus subscriber, but my favorite videos from that service are of David Popp's improvements and expansion of MR's On30 Olympia logging shelf layout.  Not only is the entire motif really cool, but he really make On30 look fun and realistic.  He's using mostly Bachmann stuff but with paint and weathering it looks just as good as the high-end craftsman kits.

I've been tempted by On30 more than once myself.

Now, in HOn30 you'll be kitbashing motive power, but you've got fantastic new N scale mechanisms to use such as the Bachmann 2-8-0, the 4-6-0, the Model Power 4-4-0, 2-6-0, etc.  Even the newly retooled Bachmann 0-6-0 should be considered.  Car kits appear to be mostly in the form of 3D printed.

In On30 OTOH, you have a host of Bachmann rod and geared locomotives ready-to-run, as well as (if you can find 'em) the Broadway Limited 2-8-0 based on a D&RGW C-16.  You have all the Bachmann rolling stock plus lots of options for Colorado-inspired kits for On3/On30 narrow gauge cars and coaches.

Then there's your space. Big trains just can't go as far in the same space is little trains.  Curves become a problem; even cartoonishly tight curves in On30 have a limit, with most Bachmann stuff--save for the toylike Porters--needing a good 19" or more.

I second (or third?) the suggestion of some sort of pro/con, want/need matrix to help you decide. 

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2019, 11:51:44 PM »
I just saw this On30 layout pop up:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51564

You can fit what you want in any scale. This was a 4' wide On30 layout I had that I ran the Bachmann Heisler on:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/NQyY1QBKHTYSgyek6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/L9ajQ7MFd1gE6zhU8
The curves were crazy tight, but it ran fine. You could replace my coal mines with ore mines and have a On30 layout full of Dinkies.

In HOn30 you are pretty much building everything yourself. In fact I'm using some On30 stuff as ideas for HOn30. And I use tight curves in HOn30 as well. Sometimes I have to trim the coupler boxes so the wheels won't rub.

This HOn30 layout is only 13.5" deep and about 40" wide:
/>
Oh and I wish I could have bought a HOn30 2-6-0 for $400 instead of taking over a year (still not done) to build my own.

I would decide what you want to model first and then see if can be done with what's out there.

Your Facebook page shows you building a depot, things like that are the same in any scale.

Just to further tempt you:
https://www.trainworld.com/manufacturers/model-train-specials/specials-on30-scale/
 :lol:

« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 01:31:17 AM by Chris333 »

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2019, 11:54:46 PM »
I should add that my HOn30 modeling got a big boost with 3D printing. Without that I wouldn't have half of what I do because it didn't exist.

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2019, 12:29:23 AM »
Darn it Chris, now I'M being tempted by those On30 prices...  $70 for a 4-6-0 with DCC in On30?

I'm now imagining a narrow gauge Pennsylvania coal hauler around the World War I era.  Like the EBT, only with slightly more diverse traffic such as timber and livestock.   Connects to the PRR somewhere on secondary trackage down below Altoona.  A 4-6-0 for the passengers and mail, with a 2-6-0 and 2-8-0 for the freight chores.  The mine turn has a drover's caboose for the miners to ride.  America's entry into World War I has increased demand for the particular "smokeless" bituminous unique to that part of the state.

For a short distance it parallels the mighty Pennsylvania RR along the Raystown Branch of the Juniata River, connecting with that railroad's line from Everett.  It runs a short distance up one of the valleys near Breezewood.

This is getting way too real for me.  AAAAAHHHHHH!!!

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2019, 12:33:27 AM »
LOL you know they make On30 EBT steel hoppers right?   ;)

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2019, 12:53:07 AM »
LOL you know they make On30 EBT steel hoppers right?   ;)

Oh, I do...  I do... :facepalm:

kurmujjin

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2019, 01:42:03 AM »
@CRL, Thanks for the closet suggestion.  I can go through the garage into the closet and then only need to make one of the turntable segments removable.  And I can set up a large dog bone with removable returns (the layout needs to be restricted to 18" - 24" normally with additional loops / staging as removable pieces.  That way, some amount of switching is always available and I can set up for continuous run for special occasions and grand-kids.  It's a whole lot easier to make luminaria in O scale than any other...

@Chris333, I was surprised to hear you be so positive about On30.  But it seems to make the most sense once I get past dealing with the space and whatever temporary track pieces I might need or want.  I have three bashes in progress that are worthless until done.  Not to mention the two passenger cars that hit the deck during the earthquake.  They are all recoverable, but envision a lot of cut up rolling stock and loose parts.  But if I stay in On30, I don't have to sell my engines and stock and there's incentive to finish the bashes and repair the cars. But I might want to get rid of the OF consolidation, as it's overhang on tight radius is pretty large.  I also have two other moguls, a porter and a BLI C-16.  And that station would become the centerpiece.  One of my all time favorite layouts is Rick Reimer's "Ruphe & Tumbelle" https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/20377.  Rick has both a 3D printer and a laser cutter and uses them really well!

@Dave V, "Come to the dark side..."

Can't remember which thread I saw it in, but there was a lot of discussion on the complexity of the NCE controller (lots of buttons).  I bought a Power Cab before I considered doing this in a way that the grand-kids could run trains.  Is there a better choice, something simpler?  I could do straight DC, but three of the locos already have DCC and some have sound, and I love the sound and so would the kids.  Can someone recommend DCC that is simpler to operate?  Or just show the kids the bare minimum?  E.g. use one loco, set it up in advance so that they only need direction, bell, whistle, and speed? Everyone I have worked with in the hobby used NCE; both of the clubs, and most of the friends I have operated with, so I really didn't consider anything else.

Thanks,

Wayne

kurmujjin

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2019, 12:52:00 AM »
Hard to believe I let this go for more than 30 days,  but I have too many 12" = 1' jobs to do...

However, I can use the closet, just need to go through the garage.  I was going to build a cubby and shelves to store the vacuum cleaner and some odds and ends.  And I decided that I probably want continuous running a couple times a year.  So the light/neon green sections would be removable and the darker green sections would be built-in.  Did this plan in the free version of AnyRail.  Kind of a neat product.  Depot would go on the left, by the closet near the stub siding.  That siding would be a team track / LCL of sorts.  Suggestions welcome.  This one assumes I try to stay with On30 rather than selling what I have.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 01:58:52 AM by kurmujjin »

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2019, 09:54:16 PM »
You might want to substitute a left handed switch for the right handed turnout leading to your depot track. It will eliminate an “s” curve.

kurmujjin

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2019, 12:53:45 AM »
Thanks.  That is more of me being an AnyRail newbie than anything.  When comes time to lay track, will be looking to smooth things out.  I had a hard time getting the hang of flex in AnyRail.

kurmujjin

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2019, 06:38:38 PM »
Well, here's a list of things to matrix the scales and desirables.  What think ye?  More things should be considered?  Scores OK, out of whack?

According to this, On30 wins.  But HO is close behind...