Author Topic: Loksound 73100 in an N Kato E8/9  (Read 4650 times)

diezmon

• Crew
  • Do they speak English in "What"?
  • Respect: +264
Loksound 73100 in an N Kato E8/9
« on: August 17, 2019, 02:26:48 PM »
+5
Thought I'd add my install to the list. 

I was intending to use the hardwired version of this decoder, but got the 73100 to see first hand how it compared in size, and to see the potential of other installs.  There's a lot of potential for shorts with this board, if you're not very careful.  Make sure all contact points are shielded, where need be.   I fried the first version i had, not even sure how.  But, this time I was VERY aware of all contact points.

You can see here the size comparison with the Kato Mech.  There's plenty of spare room in there.     
I cut out the rear of the unit to house the speaker.  I could have taken a little less off, but this thing is decently heavy even with the extra taken out. 

This mechanism has a really tight way of connecting the motor tabs to the power tabs, and initially I went the the version I think most do, just taping off the tabs to isolate them.   

@peteski  suggested an alternate way to run the vertical tabs up, by cutting slots further inward in motor mounting container, Like so...

Then it's just matter of hooking up the power, motor, and speaker leads. 

The SMD forward and rear headlights don't apply in this situation, plus I'm a really big fan now of putting the lights right in the headlight housings. I just really hate the lit-up cab look.   I used the F/R leads, and remapped the function of the rear light so use as one of the headlights.  But, you could just as easily use one of the Aux connections

That's it.  Pretty straightforward, as long as you don't fry the first one, have to find someone to reprogram the new one, and start the install again.   ;)

nightmare0331

• Crew
  • Respect: +233
Re: Loksound 73100 in an N Kato E8/9
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 09:31:49 AM »
+1
I'll bet this would also fit in the PA1.

When I find a few spare minutes I might just try that since the new V5 micros are too tall for the PA's (and only barely fit in the E8/9's).

Enjoy!

Kelley.
www.dufordmodelworks.com

diezmon

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 12:35:27 PM »
I'll bet this would also fit in the PA1.

When I find a few spare minutes I might just try that since the new V5 micros are too tall for the PA's (and only barely fit in the E8/9's).

Enjoy!

Kelley.
www.dufordmodelworks.com

Have you seen this thread? 
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=40835.0

I would think this would work equally well in the PA.  Don't they essentially have the same frame?

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 01:43:42 PM »
I just put a 73100 into a PA. Much easier fit than a 73800, and not even going to try V5.
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 03:02:37 PM »
Very nice - is that the Lifelike E7 shell?

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 09:56:38 PM »
Thought I'd add my install to the list. 

@peteski  suggested an alternate way to run the vertical tabs up, by cutting slots further inward in motor mounting container, Like so...

Looking good. The extra slots should already be molded in the motor cradle. Or at least they are in all the locos if this type I have ever worked with.  But if you had to cut your own, then that works too.  The ideal is to separate the motor tabs from the track pickup strips.  Speaking of isolating, the motor tab shown on the bottom (in the melted motor cradle) seems to me way too close for comfort to the pickup strip.  :scared:
. . . 42 . . .

diezmon

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 11:37:35 PM »
Very nice - is that the Lifelike E7 shell?

It is indeed.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 10:10:20 AM by diezmon »

diezmon

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 11:39:41 PM »
Looking good. The extra slots should already be molded in the motor cradle. Or at least they are in all the locos if this type I have ever worked with.  But if you had to cut your own, then that works too.  The ideal is to separate the motor tabs from the track pickup strips.  Speaking of isolating, the motor tab shown on the bottom (in the melted motor cradle) seems to me way too close for comfort to the pickup strip.  :scared:

Hmm. Yep, I had to cut them in. Then that one melted a bit when I soldered.  You can't tell in the pic, but there's still plenty of separation there.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 12:23:58 AM »
+1

Hmm. Yep, I had to cut them in. Then that one melted a bit when I soldered.  You can't tell in the pic, but there's still plenty of separation there.

Phew!  ;)
. . . 42 . . .

nightmare0331

• Crew
  • Respect: +233
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 09:26:12 AM »
+2
Have you seen this thread? 
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=40835.0

I would think this would work equally well in the PA.  Don't they essentially have the same frame?

That's a V4 or Select micro.  The V5's are taller.  Won't work...I've tried.  ;)

The V4 and Select micros just barely cleared and allowed the shell to latch on and seat correctly.  I did several hundred of those that way. 

Such is life!

Kelley.
www.dufordmodelworks.com

diezmon

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 10:11:06 AM »
Phew!  ;)

I'm still working the wrinkles out on keeping my damn hands steady when soldering ;)    :facepalm:

diezmon

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 10:12:51 AM »
That's a V4 or Select micro.  The V5's are taller.  Won't work...I've tried.  ;)

The V4 and Select micros just barely cleared and allowed the shell to latch on and seat correctly.  I did several hundred of those that way. 

All these V's, micros, selects are hard to keep track of, even after @peteski's post.   :ashat: :D

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 07:23:20 PM »
+1
All these V's, micros, selects are hard to keep track of, even after @peteski's post.   :ashat: :D

LOL, ain't that the truth!
. . . 42 . . .

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 07:43:54 PM »
+1
I'm still working the wrinkles out on keeping my damn hands steady when soldering ;)    :facepalm:

I have slight tremor in my hands and need to rest them on something for precision modeling (and soldering). For soldering it is also very important to have a soldering iron which has a very short heating element/tip and small diameter handle.    The longer the soldering iron is, larger will the tip oscillations will be ( try writing small text holding a pen by its end, vs close to the writing tip).  Same goes for precision soldering.  That is why I dished out few hundred of dollars on a precision soldering iron setup.  It makes huge difference in ease of soldering.
. . . 42 . . .

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +925
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2019, 09:40:37 AM »

Such is life!

Kelley.
www.dufordmodelworks.com

Yes, the PA shells don't have the same height as the E or F shells.  Matt Hermann says that a wired LokSound 5 DCC micro is on the way.  But I'm not clear whether the wires are soldered directly to the board, or are on a Next18 plug that still will result in thickness issues for some installations.  The HO-size V5 wired decoder doesn't use a Next18 plug.  So I'm hopeful. 

John C.