Author Topic: BLI N scale GG1s?  (Read 2122 times)

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +903
BLI N scale GG1s?
« on: August 06, 2019, 12:43:11 AM »
I just notice N Electrics on the BLI site and ANOTHER GG1 (of course  :facepalm:)..

Is this new (to BLI) or did I just overlook it before?

I'm pretty sure we have hit enough GG1 market saturation, were another hat in the ring would sell as poorly as ANY OTHER ELECTRIC locomotive would sell well..

(Something unique that they think has a small market would sell better than something with an (apparently) large but saturated market would.

E33 or 44 or E60P, Little Joe, EP-2, ect..

Or spend the tooling $$ on anything else that hasn't already been done 3 times.

~Ian

~Ian

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1245
Re: BLI N scale GG1s?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 01:21:36 AM »
It was announced over a year ago. I don't think they have shown samples yet.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +903
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 09:16:18 AM »
+1
Gotcha.. I missed it the.. Or it was included in the Bachmann Bashing when they announced theirs.

BLI:  Note.. There is no shame in canceling a product that has been done by 3 other mfgs.
.. Focus your resources on things that you have done in HO that no one has in N scale.

~Ian
~Ian

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4529
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 11:49:09 AM »
I just notice N Electrics on the BLI site and ANOTHER GG1 (of course  :facepalm:)..

Is this new (to BLI) or did I just overlook it before?

I'm pretty sure we have hit enough GG1 market saturation, were another hat in the ring would sell as poorly as ANY OTHER ELECTRIC locomotive would sell well..

(Something unique that they think has a small market would sell better than something with an (apparently) large but saturated market would.

E33 or 44 or E60P, Little Joe, EP-2, ect..

Or spend the tooling $$ on anything else that hasn't already been done 3 times.

~Ian

We discussed this almost exactly 2 years ago.  Yes, another GG1.  :facepalm:  :facepalm:
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=42266.0
. . . 42 . . .

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +980
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 12:46:51 PM »
They are "Broadway Limited" after all.  Kato beat them to it in terms of modeling the train itself, but they do seem set on manufacturing every single locomotive that ever pulled the train= whether others make them or not.

Now, if we could just get a manufacturer to do the steam engines that pulled Chiefs.... (sorry, no electrics)
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2271
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 01:15:59 PM »
... Kato beat them to it in terms of modeling the train itself, but they do seem set on manufacturing every single locomotive that ever pulled the train= whether others make them or not. ...

It has been observed before that BLI has a penchant for duplicating Kato offerings, period. I'd have to say that I can't completely blame them for this tactic given Kato's production calendar and their tendency to starve the market, plus Kato's laser focus on Western roads.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 07:19:31 AM »
It has been observed before that BLI has a penchant for duplicating Kato offerings, period.

I think they are mostly following what they have done in HO. To a "T" I think.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7846
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 10:19:51 AM »
I wish they'd duplicate Kato's effort with regards to plain SD40s (instead of their SD40-2s).

It's been 15 years since the last run of those, hasn't it?

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 11:18:34 AM »
I think they are mostly following what they have done in HO. To a "T" I think.

I sure hope you’re right. That would mean N scale would finally get some ATSF steam :D
Otto K.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1774
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 12:23:30 PM »
I thought Broadway was going through the line of iconic PRR locomotives.   The  M1, T1, and GG1 announcement seemed like that was the path they were on.  But now the USRA 2-8-2 diverted.  I would have expected a PRR L1.  ... unless they have some plan in the back of their heads to eventually make an L1 version with a different boiler on the same mechanism.

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2019, 02:23:02 AM »
I wish they'd duplicate Kato's effort with regards to plain SD40s (instead of their SD40-2s).

Its been longer than that, I got one for Christmas of 2002, and was still in High School then. We've done our 15th reunion last year.  So its been 17 years

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2019, 02:54:06 AM »

Yeah I think ST or IM would do really well doing a SD40 and SD45. I'm on the fence about BLI doing them... they tend to be light on the phase differences, and I think we need a knockout model, not something akin to a refreshed Kato with sound.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2019, 03:46:20 AM »
I'd be tempted to buy an E44.  GE proposed 4000 Hp motor-generator hood units to the MILW, so these wouldn't be too far out of line.  At least, they'd be closer to reality than the Japanese boxcabs I have now.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 12:52:36 AM by nkalanaga »
N Kalanaga
Be well

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2019, 08:40:16 AM »
Yeah I think ST or IM would do really well doing a SD40 and SD45. I'm on the fence about BLI doing them... they tend to be light on the phase differences, and I think we need a knockout model, not something akin to a refreshed Kato with sound.

I seriously doubt if BLI would touch the SD40 or SD45, as they did not do them in HO.

Although their N SD40-2 is currently only one phase, it is light years ahead of the heavily dated Kato tooling.

ST would get my vote for SD40 (in phases for a change!) and SD45 (also in phases).

Mark

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2019, 09:11:46 AM »
I seriously doubt if BLI would touch the SD40 or SD45, as they did not do them in HO.

Although their N SD40-2 is currently only one phase, it is light years ahead of the heavily dated Kato tooling.

ST would get my vote for SD40 (in phases for a change!) and SD45 (also in phases).

Mark
That's my point.... And my frustration. That SD40-2 is a great model. But 3/4 of the paint schemes they used were not prototypical for that phase. We need someone who can do both. While IM isn't perfect, they really do the phase thing well. Atlas too. But ST is on another level.

BLl should focus on interesting prototypes that get attention and don't require a ton of phases. The AC6000 is a perfect example. So was the centipede. But when they started on F units, things go down hill.