Author Topic: BLI Mike initial impressions  (Read 11913 times)

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1127
Re: BLI Mike initial impressions
« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2019, 09:15:59 AM »

As for why the directional headlights:  Why because these are toy trains. ...

Oh Peteski, this is priceless!
I’ve got to use that line the  next time someone here moans about board gaps and wheel spokes :facepalm: :D
Thanks for the resistor suggestion, that would work...
Otto
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 09:23:57 AM by Cajonpassfan »

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +747
« Reply #91 on: August 14, 2019, 09:28:39 AM »

As for why the directional headlights:  Why because these are toy trains. That is probably how most modelers use them.  I suspect that only small percentage of N scale modelers tries to emulate realistic RR operation. Not trying to put you down - just being realistic.

This is one of the many annoyances of the Paragon 3.  It's not a bad decoder; but the limitations seem particularly silly - no way to program the headlight to stay on in both directions; no way to dim it; no way to make the open cocks sound loud enough if you turn down the chuff volume; etc. 

John C.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2019, 09:56:10 AM »
Here’s another one for you, John: the steam P3 doesn’t respond to the emergency stop command button on my NCE. This makes it really challenging when running with substantial momentum, like I do. Is this an NCE/BLI compatibility issue or does the steam P3 lack an emergency stop function? My BLI diesels do recognize the emergency command. Odd. Can’t find anything in the manuals...
Otto
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 10:03:21 AM by Cajonpassfan »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2781
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2019, 02:56:36 PM »
Oh Peteski, this is priceless!
I’ve got to use that line the  next time someone here moans about board gaps and wheel spokes :facepalm: :D
I know, right?
Touche!

Thanks for the resistor suggestion, that would work...
Otto
You're very welcome.  :)
. . . 42 . . .

haasmarc

• Crew
  • Respect: +233
« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2019, 08:37:14 PM »
Here’s another one for you, John: the steam P3 doesn’t respond to the emergency stop command button on my NCE. This makes it really challenging when running with substantial momentum, like I do. Is this an NCE/BLI compatibility issue or does the steam P3 lack an emergency stop function? My BLI diesels do recognize the emergency command. Odd. Can’t find anything in the manuals...
Otto

I can't test my Mike at the moment but I did lots of testing with 4 T1s and an NCE system using the emergency stop function and had no issues.

Marc Haas
Keeping the Reading alive in N scale!

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #95 on: August 14, 2019, 11:15:22 PM »
Hi Charlie. 

The coupler seems to be a spin-off of the Accumate design, but is clearly somewhat smaller than either the Accumate or the MT 1015.  Whatever it is, it has zero problems coupling with my 1015-equipped cars, and I've been using one of the Mikes to pull a 20-car train around the layout with no uncoupling issues.  I don't know what your design is like, but whatever this one is, it works, at least on my home layout, which has pretty good trackwork.  On an NTrak layout, who knows.  But I'll get to test that when our club sets up at a local library in December.

John C.

I’ve had absolutely no coupler issues with a 24 car train on grades, either, and I’m loving the size and shape of this BLI coupler working with any MT’s, accumates, and others, but as much as I’d love to see this coupler succeed, I’m realizing it works well with other couplers that have a taller vertical face. It relies on their oversize to work, if that makes sense. I’d love to test it with other BLI’s, where the vertical contact surface is much less. Again, I’d love to see it succeed, but they’re not available separately. BLI, you paying attention? :D
Then again, it looks really good on locomotives, especially pilots (look at Bachmann for comparison :facepalm:) and mates well with MT’s on a train so it’s all good, right?
Otto K.

GM50 4164

• Crew
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2019, 08:55:00 PM »
So I have a friend that recently purchased the Southern mike and asked me if there was a way to add a keep alive to the P3 deocder. I don't have any experience with these yet. Is there a way to add a keep alive to them?

Benjamin H

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2019, 09:30:04 PM »
+1
So I have a friend that recently purchased the Southern mike and asked me if there was a way to add a keep alive to the P3 deocder. I don't have any experience with these yet. Is there a way to add a keep alive to them?

Probably, but I don't have this model to try to figure out where to hook it up, and I don't want to make assumptions just looking at the photos (too much at stake if I'm wrong).
. . . 42 . . .

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +359
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2019, 09:57:30 PM »
I’ve had absolutely no coupler issues with a 24 car train on grades, either, and I’m loving the size and shape of this BLI coupler working with any MT’s, accumates, and others, but as much as I’d love to see this coupler succeed, I’m realizing it works well with other couplers that have a taller vertical face. It relies on their oversize to work, if that makes sense. I’d love to test it with other BLI’s, where the vertical contact surface is much less. Again, I’d love to see it succeed, but they’re not available separately. BLI, you paying attention? :D
Then again, it looks really good on locomotives, especially pilots (look at Bachmann for comparison :facepalm:) and mates well with MT’s on a train so it’s all good, right?
Otto K.

Get a few extras and send them to ScaleTrains.com.
Peter Pfotenhauer

prr7161

• Crew
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2019, 11:27:22 PM »
I have one loco that I couldn't program. BLI said try CV 217 - 20 on the main in PO mode.. If that doesn't work try CV 217 - 50, this worked for me.

I am happy to report that this worked like a charm on my P&LE heavy mike.  Thanks for the tip!

The Mon Valley in N Scale

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2019, 12:18:56 AM »
I have one loco that I couldn't program. BLI said try CV 217 - 20 on the main in PO mode.. If that doesn't work try CV 217 - 50, this worked for me.

What is the function of CV217, and where did you find info about it?
I looked in both "N Paragon 3 N Steam manual.pdf" and "N BLI Paragon 3 techSteam[0.21].pdf" and there is no mention of CV217.  The CV list skips over that CV.  I also checked other Paragon 3 N scale manuals and FAQ section on the BLI website - no joy.
. . . 42 . . .

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2019, 12:21:51 AM »
Oooh, must be magic, liike a lot of other DCC wizardry :D
Otto K.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2019, 11:38:42 PM »
I got my second one in today’s mail, just as impressive and solid as the first one. Took me about ten minutes to program the parameters I like. And this one actually responds to the emergency brake button like it’s supposed to. WTH?
Otto K.

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +747
« Reply #103 on: August 19, 2019, 08:09:32 PM »
I got my second one in today’s mail, just as impressive and solid as the first one. Took me about ten minutes to program the parameters I like. And this one actually responds to the emergency brake button like it’s supposed to. WTH?
Otto K.

"Ours is not to reason why . . . "

John C.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2019, 10:03:04 PM »
+1
Ha! Yes, the mysteries of DCC ... the upshot of this is I’m learning to “drive” this loco without brakes of any kind on dec 100 momentum and stopping it and its train pretty much where I want it. The key is to slow things down, to a crawl, before shutting it down. Takes a bit of foresight and effort, just like the real thing. Not for everyone, but I like it!😀
Otto K.