Author Topic: Palmerton, PA: An N Scale Collaborative Micro-Layout  (Read 14355 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Palmerton, PA: An N Scale Collaborative Micro-Layout
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2019, 11:39:49 AM »
This may be the unit although I won't swear to it:  http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3779528

I think that was probably it.

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
  • Respect: +225
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2019, 01:57:53 PM »
Funny you should mention the 'denuded' scene.    I did a professional rail project over there years ago and cabrode the Chestnut Ridge shortline down to what was then the Conrail interchange.  Would have been about 1994 or 1995.   I remember it was a rather tired Alco switcher.   The track up the valley (now removed) was still mostly in place.

This may be the unit although I won't swear to it:  http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3779528

Nothing against the L&HR, but "Chestnut Ridge" is a rather neat name for a shortline and micro-layout; you can add all the connections that were there then; CNJ, L&HR, probably more.

Moonscape is being polite.   I always thought it was rather ironic that the most denuded area I've ever seen in PA was named for the trees.

The L&HR right-of-way was still very evident on the hillside.

Before you're totally locked in with your vertical alignment, the other lasting impression was the grade-separated embankment through the town to the interchange over that "S" curve.   Multiple overpass bridges including one over a downtown intersection, which was kind of unique.  Rather lends itself to the curves you've got.

Hmm. While LNE was always intended to be the main focus (well, after I started mindlessly putting track together), maybe I can take some inspiration from the area. I don't really want to introduce grades to the layout, even though it would make it more interesting; kind of just wanted a roundy-round I could watch and not have to worry about something toppling over. Now, an underpass would be a neat addition, but where to put it would be another question; I feel like the bottom-right-hand corner would be best, but I think you would need two unless you made it come up rather steep (still entirely doable). The switcher would be nice; need another S2, though. I have one Arnold that I wanted to do in US Navy.
- Christian J. Davis

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2042
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2019, 03:22:33 PM »
If you look at Palmerton, the tracks are actually somewhat elevated in the entire area all the way over to the interchange.

You might want to consider not just the curve, but your 'interchange' line up on a steep embankment so that that entire area is around 15-20' lower than the track, and putting some 'town' area in there.    You'll notice there are no real hills, the entire town was below grade level and the tracks ran across the place.   

I think your RH side and curve works (as there's not much else you can do with it...!), I just wouldn't try to put a hill in there to come up level, I'd put virtually everything that wasn't track down a level.    It's not entirely accurate, but the 'feel' of Palmerton over to the interchange is definitely with those tracks high up across the main part of the town.

If you go back to Dave Vollmer's Middle Division layout and see how effective it was where he lowered the highway/town and used underpasses....yeah, that's what I mean here.   It just looks so much like Pennsylvania.   Really became a signature scene on that layout.   No grades on his at all, but if you are thinking about this you've got some sabre-saw work ahead of you to either raise the table or drop a chunk out.   Now is the time.   

The justaposition of the bridge and the downtown there is memorable.
https://www.tnonline.com/terry-ahnertimes-news-delaware-avenue-bridge-one-four-bridges-chestnut-ridge-railroad-palmerton-are

DKS is an expert on staging urban and industrial min-scenes like this in absurdly small spaces and pulling it off, so 'use the force, Luke'.

On my T-trak modules I cut the front edges off and sloped them to embankments (prototypes were all on a river bank) and I'm amazed the comments I get on that when it really didn't occur to me I was doing something different.   
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 03:33:48 PM by randgust »

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
  • Respect: +225
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2019, 06:08:12 PM »
Well, now I have even more to think about. Will have to consult with the master and see how he thinks we should do it. Want to see how he would do it before I go in over my head and start making unrealistic plans and eventually burn out. I still have some time to move the track, so I’ll wait it out and see. Thank you all for the input so far.
- Christian J. Davis

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2019, 06:51:54 PM »
Get some 1-1/2” foam and cover your plywood base. That’s about n-scale 20ft. Then cut out sections for the town down to the plywood for your zero elevation. Or even better, put down 1” foam for your zero elevation, then add the thicker 1-1/2” foam for your elevated track areas. The 1” foam will let you carve out drainage ditches, creeks, etc.

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +717
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2019, 09:42:54 PM »
Isn't Palmerton one of the scenic highlights along the Appalachian Trail?

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2019, 11:08:02 PM »
Yeesh!  On the bright side, you won’t have to worry about flocking your tree armatures with those pesky leaves.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2019, 12:02:22 PM »
Only problem with that is it’s harder to model a convincing standing dead tree than it is a tree with a leaf canopy. Just sticking a dead twig in the scene doesn’t cut it.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2019, 03:29:12 PM »
Only problem with that is it’s harder to model a convincing standing dead tree than it is a tree with a leaf canopy. Just sticking a dead twig in the scene doesn’t cut it.

Ugh, don't I know it...

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2019, 03:38:14 PM »

This is why I like modeling kudzu.  Who knows what's under there?!  :D

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2019, 08:07:57 PM »
Here, by the way, is what started it all--an unattributed, seemingly miscellaneous, and rather strange track plan on page 100 of the January 2001 edition of Model Railroader. Note how the track runs right up to the very edges of the layout. And this was supposedly a "beginner's" track plan...

I don't have my January 2001 MR copy handy, is that an Ian Rice Granger road track plan? I really like how you've kept the core of the track plan, but made some nice improvements.  Yes, I've become a fan of the L&NE as well thanks to the JPM videos. I've also started modeling the PC again, thanks to JPM Short lines and Branch Lines DVD's  :facepalm:  :D

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2019, 09:38:06 PM »
+1
I don't have my January 2001 MR copy handy, is that an Ian Rice Granger road track plan? I really like how you've kept the core of the track plan, but made some nice improvements.  Yes, I've become a fan of the L&NE as well thanks to the JPM videos. I've also started modeling the PC again, thanks to JPM Short lines and Branch Lines DVD's  :facepalm:  :D

The plan appears in an article for beginners and is entirely unattributed nor is it captioned in any way.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +989
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2019, 11:31:36 PM »
+1
I believe the original plan dates from the late 1990s and was one of the 4x8 layouts that MR built during the NMRA conventions during the 1990s.

I seem to remember a California theme and Jim Kelly being involved.

They did however reuse the plan a number of times in articles and books...
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2019, 11:37:20 AM »
+1

Haha, that one video with the U25B chase is THE reason I ended up getting one of them.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2019, 04:03:04 PM »
+7
After just two afternoons of work, the Palmerton is running. Here are a few images from its construction and the inaugural run...