Author Topic: Bachmann Announcements DCC/Sound J611 and more . . .  (Read 4830 times)

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
Re: Bachmann Announcements DCC/Sound J611 and more . . .
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2019, 02:27:54 PM »
We might turn our noses up at those GPs, but I'll tell ya, I bet they're CRITICAL to getting the next wave of modelers into the hobby and it's about time that someone's making "entry level" stuff that represents what people actually see out there on the rails like that.

Absolutely agree. The future is more theirs than ours.

It's just too bad there will not be much of an LHS network out there as in previous generations.

As far as the Bachmann annpuncements goes. It's also goo to see some track cleaning cars out there but at $49 list, it's a bit pricey!

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2019, 03:26:14 PM »
+1
We might turn our noses up at those GPs, but I'll tell ya, I bet they're CRITICAL to getting the next wave of modelers into the hobby and it's about time that someone's making "entry level" stuff that represents what people actually see out there on the rails like that.

I'd argue that the cost of these alone will do more to dissuade the next wave of modelers.
They are trying to fetch a premium price for a crappily executed model.
I remember buying several of the KATO GP38-2's for $39.99 many years ago and even then, that wasn't expensive.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2019, 04:32:18 PM »

How exactly is $275.00 'entry level'?
~Ian

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2019, 05:50:08 PM »
Can’t wait to see what whistles they include with the J. Perhaps a banshee?  :trollface:
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

Mike C

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2019, 05:55:14 PM »
Can’t wait to see what whistles they include with the J. Perhaps a banshee?  :trollface:

Wasn't Pennsy a part owner of N & W ? :D

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2019, 10:37:34 PM »
Come on. We know the street price for these things will be less than 50% of the MSRP.

They've been doing this for a while. At some point ya gotta realize that the people who make this stuff for a living probably have it figured out.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2019, 11:46:24 PM »
+1
Come on. We know the street price for these things will be less than 50% of the MSRP.

They've been doing this for a while. At some point ya gotta realize that the people who make this stuff for a living probably have it figured out.
Well, keeps me from pre-ordering anything, since I don't know what its going to cost, 6 weeks after it hits the stores.  Although at $250 and up, I'm gonna want to see it and hear it, and maybe even watch it run around a track (and I mean the one I am taking home), before I let them run my plastic- so unlikely to pre-order anyway.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2019, 12:17:54 AM »

That's still a lot of $ for all the presumed people you expect to enter the hobby.
Not to get into politics or sociology or anything but there are far fewer people that can afford this type of model or people interested in this hobby at all.
In this day and age, there are way more distractions and different spending decisions than at the time most of us had parents that introduced us to this hobby.
When I was a kid, there was/were no cable, streaming, smart phones, (or cellphones) video games and any other time killer.
In the Summer, we went outside at dawn and stayed outside until dusk and when it was Winter, we played games as a family, read or otherwise found our own entertainment.

I'd bet the percentage of our generation's children intrigued enough by our hobby to persue it later in life is less than 50%.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2019, 12:15:08 PM »

Or, just wait for the firesale.  :trollface:

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

learmoia

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2019, 01:37:33 PM »
+1
The problem with that is that Bachman is good about getting themselves into retail markets that sell to the mass public at near retail prices. (Hobby Lobby, Amazon, ect. and the unsuspecting novice consumer sees $225 at 25% off and doesnt know any better.

While we sit and wait for the closeouts at $149..

My concern is that Atlas is producing a better product at a lower price point..

~Ian
~Ian

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2019, 01:58:01 PM »
+1
Just remember that the GP40 has been available for the last two years without sound. They go for $50 on eBay and Amazon frequently.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

learmoia

• Crew
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 03:26:36 PM by learmoia »
~Ian

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +926
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2019, 06:41:39 PM »
Just like the EM1 and for example the SD9 last year, the J will feature an Econami. My guess is that the ‘value’ part consist of less different chuffs, whistle’s etc. in other words, the sound should be quite good when they include a good speaker install.

Marc

Ah - I see now that the card says Econami for the J.  OK.  That makes sense.  I just hope it isn't a "stripped down" version like the old Bachmann Sound Value decoders were . . .

John C.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +989
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2019, 07:15:56 PM »
That's the issue I see unless you are lucky enough to have a local hobby shop with a discount structure these will be priced out of the beginners market... (it would be about a 500$ Loco in Canada)

For nearly the same MSRP you can get a Kato starter set with reliable power, track and a power pack (no dcc and sound but that isn't exactly entry level either IMHO)

Thinking back to my hobby shop days I know what I would sell more of any day of the week...
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

learmoia

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2019, 08:29:14 PM »
+5
Ohh Crap!.. A Bachmann N scale Starter set with sound is $450!!!  Loco, 2 cars caboose loop of track, controller.

The DCC set (2 locos plus cars a switch or 2 and the dcc controller) is also $475

Regular set is $275..

I mean.. I guess.. but I just sold some stuff ($3-$5 cars) to a 17 year old that was getting started on minimum wage side income.  I suspected income was tight as he was very selective of his choices.  He chose 12 cars and we settled on $50 shipped for the price.

He asked about locos and all he had was a Bachmann diesel and a 0-4-0 that didnt work worth a darn..

I sent him some older Atlas/Kato options priced at $20-$35 each but he didnt have the money..

So we closed the deal for $50
And after chatting with our local shop.. here is what was sent..
12 cars
Atlas/Kato GP35 NW (from me)
Atlas/Kato SD9 GN (from the Hobby shop)
3 or 4 extra cars including an NW caboose.

I told him.. dont waste your money on Bachmann, Model Power, or old Life Like.. stick to Atlas/Kato..

So.. hopefully this will help push him in the right direction.
(He was very appreciative and said he would try to pay it forward.)

~Ian
~Ian