Author Topic: Older Tsunami TSU KT-1000  (Read 1435 times)

woodone

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
Older Tsunami TSU KT-1000
« on: July 15, 2019, 12:46:35 PM »
Just did (well I am trying) to install this KT-1000 into an Athearn HO  P-42 locomotive.
I know that this decoder was meant for an Kato P-42 but this is what I was given to work with.
All lights in the Athearn have been changed to LED’s. The Athearn P-42 only has one motor( the Kato used two motors)
All went well for the first 3-4 muinets , then the sound dropped out, and then tried to restart. Now on the restart I hear a different prime mover. This only lasts for a second or two , then shuts down and does try to restart. This will go on and on until Power is shut down.
BTW there are only the LED’s on the board that are hooked up. They are OEM.
Speaker is an 1 watt sugar cube. I tried a different speaker , but no change.
I DID AN RESET CV 8- to 8 and powered down. Got some flashing lights but did not get a count of the flashes.
So I am thinking the audio amp has been compersised.
I want to try replacing the amp.
The amp is an 16 lead chip with markings on the top—— AIN.  With BAD just under the AIN. 4 SMT leads on each edge of chip.
SoundTraxx does not repair nor replace this decoder any longer. Too old.
So if I can find a replacement I would like to try to repair.

woodone

• Crew
Re: Older Tsunami TSU KT-1000
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 09:03:14 AM »
Not sure how I posted this here?
Could it be moved to the DCC SECTION?
Thanks

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 04:23:36 AM »
I'm not familiar with that decoder, but I have my doubts that the problem is the audio amp.  I would think that a failing audio amps would simply cut out the sound, and when the sound returned, it would be just continuation of the earlier sound (as if someone turned volume to zero, then back to earlier setting), not a restarted sequence of sound.

Also, most sound amps I have encountered on decoders are 8-pin devices.  What specifically makes you think that the sound amp is a 16-pin chip?  Or, do you think you somehow damaged that 16-pin chip?

When you say that the decoder cycles between restarts, how do the LEDs and motor behave?  Or just the sound restarts while the motor and LEDs behave normally?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 04:29:51 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

woodone

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 09:39:18 AM »
Was hoping you would see this post..
Reason I think it is an amp is because two of the PCB traces connect the IC to the speaker plug.
The IC has 4 leads on each edge.
When I first powered up the decoder, I heard a idle sound and it ran like this for two or three minutes.
I use a NCE Power Cap for testing my installs via the PC ‘s programming mode. I set the address and then run the loco testing for correct direction & check the lights .
The sound just quit while I was testing. Then when it started is sounded like it was doing a start cycle for an early EMD diesel prime mover.
I first did a factory reset- no change, but the LED’s on the decoder did flash. I did not catch how many times they flashed. I then changed out the speaker-no change.
I have not tried the motor drive , because the amount of time the sounds are on is very short.
I can read the manufacture code, and version, so I believe I don’t have any wiring errors .
The marking on the top of the IC does not show up on any of my searches.
Also sent a photo of decoder to Digikey to try to ID the IC- no luck.

peteski

• Crew
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 04:14:28 PM »
Could you post a clear closeup photo of  that chip, and the surrounding area?  Most smart phones, and digital cameras have decent closeup capability.  Alternately, take a in-focus photo slightly further away using the highest resolution (Megapixlel) setting, then edit the photo and crop it to just that chip and immediate surrounding area.  You will basically be doing what digital zoom does.

You can also try contacting Soundtraxx and asking them to identify that chip for you (give you its manufacturer and part number).  WHile the odds are low that they will give you that info, since it is an obsolete decoder, they might.

I'll ask again, why do you think  that this chip is faulty. Just because it is likely the audio amp? And the problem just occurred spontaneously, or do you think that you might have done something to damage the audio circuit?

Does that chip get hot when the decoder is powered up?  It is very, very rare for IC (Integrated Circuit) chips to fail into a cyclical mode that you describe.  It is more common for the temperature to  affect the chip's functionality.  As it heats up, it fails, then when it cools down, it starts working (or vice versa). Or sometimes the chip fails at a room temperature, and works when cooled or heated (or again vice versa). But I have never seen a chip heating up, then cooling down cyclically, when under constant power.
. . . 42 . . .

woodone

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 08:39:32 PM »
You know about my posting photo skills- there ant any-
PM you with a question?

peteski

• Crew