Author Topic: Thursday Proto Photo, Jul 11/19  (Read 1668 times)

Lenny53

• Crew
  • Respect: +1560
Thursday Proto Photo, Jul 11/19
« on: July 11, 2019, 06:23:51 AM »
+2
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
Re: Thursday Proto Photo, Jul 11/19
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 12:41:13 AM »
How old are those bi-level cars now?
 Joe D

Lenny53

• Crew
  • Respect: +1560
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 12:54:11 PM »
How old are those bi-level cars now?
 Joe D

It varies, they are still in production and GO keeps adding to their fleet.

CNR5529

• Crew
  • Respect: +623
    • My Shapeways Store
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 01:30:10 PM »
The original BiLevels date back to 1976. That said, all of the older series cars have gone through major overhaul and refurbishment cycles.
Because why not...

CNR5529

• Crew
    • My Shapeways Store
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 01:40:23 PM »
+2
A few weeks ago, my better half and I were on a 2 week trip out west in the Rockies, to get hitched at Emerald Lake, just north of Field BC. The weather was great, the views were spectacular and the wedding went perfectly. Afterwards we spent a bunch of time exploring Yoho, Banff, Jasper and Kootenay National Parks, trying to go see things we hadn't seen on previous trips. Saw more wildlife on this trip than all of our previous trips out west combined, including 12 grizzlies in a two-day span! We did manage to stop in at some of the railway hot spots, after all that whole area (including the lodge we were married at) was basically developed by the railway...

The officiant we chose lives in the town of Field, which was an important servicing point on the CPR in the steam era. We had to meet him before the wedding so we took some time to walk around a bit afterwards. The town still has many remnants of its railway past, including the prominent water tower:

As we were leaving, the Rocky Mountaineer came through town:

A few days later, we stopped at the cedar log station in Lake Louise, which was undergoing some work before the heavy tourist season:

They have a small collection of CPR heavyweights behind the station, including the dining car Delamere:

Just north of there is one of the most iconic spots on the entire CPR system, Morrant's Curve. My lovely wife suggested we should wait for a train to come through so we could take our own pictures at the curve, and not long after this grain train came into view:

Later we stopped in at the Banff station, and again didnt have to wait long for a CP freight to roll by:

Because why not...

CNR5529

• Crew
    • My Shapeways Store
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 01:42:11 PM »
+1
We made it up to Jasper later on in the trip, and as we got in town to go have supper we were greeted once again by the Rocky Mountaineer:

If you are ever in Jasper, I highly recommend two things: One, stop in at the Bear Paw Bakery for some coffee and a raspberry and white chocolate scone. Two, spend at least a few minutes down by the station. There is always something to see down there. Other than wildlife all over the yard, there is a constant parade of freight trains, the Rocky Mountaineer, as well as the VIA train up to Prince George and Prince Rupert. A few times a week though, there is another impressive sight to behold. We were heading out for the day after a quick stop at the bakery when we notices something shinny down by the station...

The ritualistic washing of the dome cars was in full effect on No. 2, the eastbound Canadian. Quite timely considering the recent Rapido announcement!

All in all we had a great time tying the knot in one of the most scenic parts of the country, and she even let me sneak in a bit of trains! :D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 02:22:19 PM by CNR5529 »
Because why not...

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 02:15:51 PM »
Congratulations!

It is a beautiful world there.  I've been to those places and we hung out at Morrant's Curve for a good hour to catch all those trains and the scenery ain't bad either.  :D

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 02:27:11 PM »
That is still one of my favorite regions in North America to tour. 8)  And west out of Lake Louise towards Vancouver, too.
Mark G.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 12:44:08 AM »
Last week in Toronto:

Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +153
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 08:26:07 PM »
A few weeks ago, my better half and I were on a 2 week trip out west in the Rockies, to get hitched at Emerald Lake, just north of Field BC. The weather was great, the views were spectacular and the wedding went perfectly. Afterwards we spent a bunch of time exploring Yoho, Banff, Jasper and Kootenay National Parks, trying to go see things we hadn't seen on previous trips. Saw more wildlife on this trip than all of our previous trips out west combined, including 12 grizzlies in a two-day span! We did manage to stop in at some of the railway hot spots, after all that whole area (including the lodge we were married at) was basically developed by the railway...

Did you stop in at the Visitor's Centre in Field and check out the operational N-Scale layout depicting the famous Spiral Tunnels?  Quite a nice display.  A friend and fellow BC Rail modeller had a hand in getting and keeping it running.

Doug

CNR5529

• Crew
    • My Shapeways Store
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 10:03:51 AM »
Did you stop in at the Visitor's Centre in Field and check out the operational N-Scale layout depicting the famous Spiral Tunnels?  Quite a nice display.  A friend and fellow BC Rail modeller had a hand in getting and keeping it running.

Unfortunately, I didn't stop at the spiral tunnels or the visitor's center this trip, but I have seen that layout a number of times in the past. Good to know someone is taking care of it, it is quite impressive.
Because why not...

trainforfun

• Crew
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 12:39:46 PM »

Doug

Here is some pictures from Trip advisor site :

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g182193-d7336499-Reviews-Yoho_National_Park_Visitor_Centre-Field_Yoho_National_Park_Kootenay_Rockies_Briti.html#photos;aggregationId=&albumid=101&filter=7&ff=314894650
Thanks ,
Louis