Author Topic: Weekend Update 7/7/19  (Read 12144 times)

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1419
Re: Weekend Update 7/7/19
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 07:48:20 PM »
+19
I drew up these hoppers years ago, and had several printed from shapeways, but could never track down decals for them. Fast forward to last week, and I stumbled across the appropriate decals from K4supply on the auction site. It feels good to finally have a finished product for this project. These are from my era and I will need dozens! WM had a couple of variants on this car, thanks to the photon, I'll be printing up a few with ladders on the corners instead of grab irons.

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 08:18:39 PM »
+4
I made lighted table lamp shades!

More in the Tale of Two Business Cars thread.

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=47390.15

Craig

MarkJ

• Respect: +4
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 09:40:45 PM »
Those WM cars look fantastic! It looks like you designed those cars with sill mounted coupler pockets; very nice. Since you did those initial printings a few years ago, are there any changes you made to the design since?
Honestly those look better than some HO cars I’ve seen.
Thanks, Mark J.
Reading, PA

ncbqguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +384
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 10:35:15 PM »
+1
Lionel had a pretty decent version of the GasTurbine switcher in O Gauge. As weird as it was it is surprising a model hasn't been made in HO or N!!
Charlie Vlk

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 11:28:18 PM »
+10
About two months ago I scored a beautifully finished Precision Scale brass D&RGW short caboose painted as Rio Grande Southern 0403. It came without couplers or window glazing and it had a tiny bit of damage to the paint and weathering but overall looked really, really good. However, with its original PSC brass trucks, it rolled as smoothly as a sandpaper brick. I added Kadee 713 couplers and then today I got around to adding the window glazing. The trucks were a challenge. All attempts to turn the PSC trucks into anything other than sleds failed...so I added Blackstone 3'7" D&RGW-style caboose trucks with new bolster washers and screws. Since the new screws were too thin for the bolster holes, I CA-glued some styrene panels on the inside of the body to receive the screws...and it worked! It's now the most free-rolling caboose I own. You can see a little of the white Aleene's Tacky Glue I use to affix the clear styrene window "glass"...it dries clear.

"I have a caboose fetish," he said, with a wink that was as awkward as it was creepy.

My six HOn3 cabooses (cabeese?). Front row, left to right: MRGS kit for RGS 0404 I painted as early 40s, Erie Limited I painted as RGS 0402 early 40s, Erie Limited I painted as RGS 0400 early 40s, Precision Scale painted by someone unknown as RGS 0403, late 30s/early 40s. Back row, left to right: Blackstone D&RGW long caboose factory painted 0505 Flying Rio Grande (I need to weather this), and unknown brass D&RG short caboose I painted as Silverton Northern 1005.

Picked up an already-built HOn3 Rail Line boxcar from Wiseman Model Services painted for a freelanced road... Repainted it and lettered using Laballe decals. I know the original 3000-series lettering doesn't belong on an as-rebuilt 3000-series boxcar, but I wanted something that'd roll nicely and look good behind my Silverton Northern #100 locomotive.

Lastly, I enjoy sometimes just walking around the layout and seeing scenes worth photographing.  Then it's fun to come up with a story:

"A cut of empties waits at Rico for a Second District train to pick up. Meanwhile #20—with an as-yet undetermined mechanical problem—sticks her nose out of the Rico enginehouse. And of course the Goose is late again..."

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 02:58:00 AM »
+7
Op Session 13 was held last Sunday evening with three fellow North Shore modellers in attendance.

Back in the 1970s, during the summer and early fall, the British Columbia Railway would station an RS-3 at Dawson Creek and run a yard job to cope with the extra switching during the grain rush.  This meant that the Dawson Creek Switcher would only have to set outs its train, switch the trailer ramp, and return to Chetwynd with the westbound tonnage staged by the yard job.  This session was our first attempt to recreate that as an alternate way of doing things for future variety.  With my RS-3s still undergoing their DCC installation, RS-10 581 was taken to Dawson Creek last session in preparation for yard duty this session.

RS-10 581 engaged in the inaugural yard job at Dawson Creek:

At Chetwynd, CN 3218 has just returned with a work extra as 804 and 810 prepare to depart with the eastbound Dawson Creek Switcher:

Two new log cars deliver their first revenue loads to the Canfor mill at Chetwynd:

607 and 581 are engaged in their runaround move at Septimus prior to returning to Chetwynd:

810 and 804 cross the Pine River with twelve cars and van en route back to Chetwynd:

(Yes, I know; cleaning up the canyon is on my summer task list . . . )

Thanks to Philippe for taking the photographs while I inserted myself into the operating crew for the first time.

Looking forward to tomorrow evening's session on the Tehachapi B.C.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 07:39:40 AM »
+7
Scatterbrained old fart that I've become, I've gone back to work on my Penn Central Stockton Branch layout. Retro layouts, as fun as they are, don't sustain my interest as much, and I needed to scratch the itch to do a little more "proper" modeling, such as it is.

After pulling it out of storage and posing structures in their new locations, this is how things looked:

More details in the Layout Engineering Report: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=44969.msg624906#msg624906

« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 10:13:58 AM by DKS »

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 09:11:23 AM »
+9
I made a new chassis for my B&M B15 model.

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1419
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2019, 09:21:41 AM »
It looks like you designed those cars with sill mounted coupler pockets; very nice. Since you did those initial printings a few years ago, are there any changes you made to the design since?

Thanks! The only change from the shapeways cars was the addition of the coupler pocket. I'm using Tru Scale Couplers, and I discovered that using the under frame as part of the coupler box gave me some much needed clearance between the bottom of the box and the lead axle on the truck. With a bit of priming, the photon prints take less work to look better than stuff from shapeways. The only downside is that all of the grab iron pilot holes came out clean and ready to use on the shapeways models. The photon left divots that I had to drill out. Still a lot easier than free handing them!

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2019, 11:27:14 AM »
I made a new chassis for my B&M B15 model.

Sweet!
This needs a thread of its own, no?
Otto

Oh never mind, just found it  :facepalm:

Jesse6669

• Crew
  • Respect: +1188
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2019, 01:10:53 PM »
+5
Finished up DT&I GP38AC 207.  Per prototype photos, the lack of spark arrestors and all-weather windows is ok.  But the model had to have the nose mounted bell!  All 1:450 scale. 

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 01:15:50 PM by Jesse6669 »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2019, 01:32:44 PM »
Finished up DT&I GP38AC 207.  Per prototype photos, the lack of spark arrestors and all-weather windows is ok.  But the model had to have the nose mounted bell!  All 1:450 scale. 

Nice!  You just keep cranking these out!

I kept forgetting to ask you: are this actually powered, or just display models?
. . . 42 . . .

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +907
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2019, 02:03:40 PM »
Nice!  You just keep cranking these out!

I kept forgetting to ask you: are this actually powered, or just display models?

And I think we can award him the patent on T Scale Protofist couplers.. :)
~Ian

dnhouston

• Crew
  • Respect: +651
    • Dusty Junction & Northwestern
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2019, 05:03:42 PM »
+8
After over a year of off-and-on work, I finally finished my Climax kit from @randgust complete with working headlight and DCC