Author Topic: Hawgheads Rio Grande Southern  (Read 739 times)

Dave V

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • The Route of the Galloping Goose
  • Respect: +3396
    • Dave Vollmer's N Scale Pennsy
Re: Hawgheads Rio Grande Southern
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2019, 06:21:06 PM »
Scott,

Copy away!  I didn’t exactly design anything unique or worth a copyright.  It’s no more “mine” than every other cockpit-style layout ever constructed.  I don’t think anyone around here would give you guff for it, least of all me.  Do what speaks to you!
Silver San Juan Scenic Line

Member SlimRail Modular Colorado Narrow Gauge
http://www.slimrail.net/

Dave V

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • The Route of the Galloping Goose
  • Respect: +3396
    • Dave Vollmer's N Scale Pennsy
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2019, 06:27:07 PM »
By the way, let me know if you want to borrow my RGS trestle jig and full-sized bent diagrams.  They make scratchbuilding trestles trivial and fun.
Silver San Juan Scenic Line

Member SlimRail Modular Colorado Narrow Gauge
http://www.slimrail.net/

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +150
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2019, 06:37:24 PM »
Jim it does have a continuous run portion already in it.  A train can go Platterville to Vince Jct. to Aims, past the mill at Kiester and then to Pandaride.  Then it can end there for point to point ops, or go through the wye and back Ridgline or continue around back to Platterville.

Scott

Sorry I missed that. :facepalm: That's actually a pretty cool feature to have built into the plan. Kudos.

I guess I was wondering about the possibility of a longer run via a connection with the end of the Ourway staging area, but didn't see a way to do it without uglying up the return loops.

Don't mind me. I'll just sit over here for a while.  :D

Jim

Hawghead

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2019, 10:20:16 PM »
Sorry I missed that. :facepalm: That's actually a pretty cool feature to have built into the plan. Kudos.

I guess I was wondering about the possibility of a longer run via a connection with the end of the Ourway staging area, but didn't see a way to do it without uglying up the return loops.

Don't mind me. I'll just sit over here for a while.  :D

Jim

Jim,

I asked for comments and I appreciate everyone of them.  I didn't show it on either plan, but the side of the garage on the left and the bottom is where access to and through the garage is.  On plan B the Ourway staging would be a half lift up section toward the top as that is where the door into the garage is.  The Delores staging would have to have a lift out section between it and Rico to allow access out of the garage.  And the lower left hand corner is where the water heater, the HVAC air handler and a frig and a freezer are (or will be once I move them there).  So the left and bottom area of the garage need to be clear for access.

Copy away!  I didn’t exactly design anything unique or worth a copyright.  It’s no more “mine” than every other cockpit-style layout ever constructed.  I don’t think anyone around here would give you guff for it, least of all me.  Do what speaks to you!

Dave,

Thanks.  Some people are flattered when other people use their ideas and others can get a bit miffed.  As a new guy here I didn't want to cause any trouble, so it was a little bit of concern for plan A.  Also thanks for the offer of the bents jig, but I think I have room for only one trestle and that would be between Lizard Head and Rico.  I will have to build two short bridges on two legs of the Rico wye.  I'll have to do some research and find out how the old wye crossed the Delores river there, whether on small trestles, short bridges or culverts.  Wait, didn't the coal pocket at Rico have a trestle for the cars to load the pocket?  Hummm may need that jig after all.

I have decided to go with plan A.  Plan B is really an operations layout with a kind of clunky provision for round and round running, it needs a group that can get together on a regular basis to run it.  Additionally it would be monumentally more difficult to build and would eat locomotives and rolling stock like crazy.  With the time I have to devote to construction I could see me giving up on it before I ever got it to the point where I could just run trains.  The staging under Ridgway for example.  To prevent some really nasty grades there would only be about 6 inches, railhead to railhead, between the staging tracks and Ridgway.  As a result the staging tracks would have to be built on some sort of sliding shelf for reasonable access.  Maintenance would also be significantly more difficult and time consuming.  I think even though I would like more space between the scenes, I think plan A with Lizard Head and Rico being able to be modeled pretty damn prototypically, the tracks for the engine facility at Ridgway being a fairly realistic representation of what existed there and the fact that I could probably finish it in my lifetime has got to put it over the top.  Oh also, I can start on Rico really soon as that area of the garage is already clear.

Thanks for everyone's input, I hope to get a lot more as I actually start to build the layout.  Also I hope everyone had or is having a great 4th of July.

Scott
There's a prototype for everything.
If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +446
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2019, 06:25:59 AM »
+1
A little inspiration :)

« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 06:30:01 AM by John »

Hawghead

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2019, 07:08:30 PM »
A little inspiration :)

John,
"Round the Bend"?  Are you trying to tell me something?  ;)

Scott
There's a prototype for everything.
If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.